Who makes an oil cooler kit for a Honda CB100/125,XL185 or XR200 ??

grcamna5

Over 1,000 Posts
I have an 81' CB125S which has the same crankcases as the XL185(I'm installing an XL185 crank & top end soon and it all bolts right in w/ longer cyl. studs) and XR200R.I've been looking online for a while but haven't found an actual,complete 'kit' for it. I'd rather not have to guess about where to install my oil lines and for the correct size cooler.Has anyone here found and installed one onto one of the bikes mentioned above ??

It will be a custom job. Dont forget to include 200x engines in your search, many were built to 265cc big bores with oil coolers in the atc racing days.

On that note, an oil cooler is really not much benefit for any of these engines in stock, or even mildly modified form. Obviously one could argue that any additional cooling can enhance the longevity of the engine, but these engines do not have an issue with longevity, reliability, or overheating when properly maintained.

Yeah,possibly one from an ATC200X.
I think there might have been a few ATV's made that I can get one from.

Again, this is a custom job bill. you just order a cooler and install it. There's actually a lot of info about using a cooler on an xr200. As I told you before though, it is completely unnecessary. I've built 218cc strokers that didn't need a cooler, the oil pump system is phenomenal in stock form.

Mr camna, did you find a cooler, or progress with this?

I am also interested. I had a suzuki dr650 with an oil cooler, and it was surprisingly effective. Suzuki also put one on their trojan 200, which is a dr200 bike (same engine) set up for farm use. The trojan has one, the dr200 doesn't. I imagine this is because the trojan will be doing a lot of low speed work. My bike is the same, lots of low speed work when off road.

urastus said:
Mr camna, did you find a cooler, or progress with this?

I am also interested. I had a suzuki dr650 with an oil cooler, and it was surprisingly effective. Suzuki also put one on their trojan 200, which is a dr200 bike (same engine) set up for farm use. The trojan has one, the dr200 doesn't. I imagine this is because the trojan will be doing a lot of low speed work. My bike is the same, lots of low speed work when off road.

I still want to find one that has a kit already set-up for my single cyl. bike;I thought I'd get some kind of positive feedback from someone here already on how it hooks up..

If it's the CG motor:

https://www.ooracing.com/oil-cooler-kit-ace-125/150-universal-cg-style.html

also see forum post here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70569.msg830993#msg830993

grcamna5 said:
I still want to find one that has a kit already set-up for my single cyl. bike;I thought I'd get some kind of positive feedback from someone here already on how it hooks up..

I assume you already know this? I researched oil coolers for my 125. The kits for specific bikes that I saw (quick look) seemed to be for bikes with an oil filter. So the kits come with their own filter cover which has provision for attaching lines to and from oil cooler. I imagined that oil comes out of the filter out through line to radiator (oil cooler) back from radiator directly to hole next to oil filter where the filtered oil normally goes after leaving the filter. I'm guessing there must be a small section of hose to go from the oil filter cover to the hole in the casing next to the oil filter (where the filtered oil is supposed to go after leaving filter). Or just a one way valve on the cooler return hose?

Does this make sense? Oil comes out of filter, has no where to go except line to radiator. It comes back from radiator past filter directly into crankcase where it would normally go after leaving filter. Some kits also appear to have a thermostat so that oil doesn't go to radiator until a certain temperature is reached.

My bike doesn't have an oil filter, so the thermostat is probably not feasible, which probably means the whole thing isn't feasible.

The other idea I have is just a small electric fan angled on the right side of the head (exhaust port side), and just switch it on manually when I doing slow stuff (bush work or traffic). I like the simplicity of this idea. Gail's scooter uses an air fan for cooling.

I would also have the switch and power independent of the ignition switch so that I could leave the fan running the numerous times I have the engine off for a short periods whilst perusing map or waiting for Gail etc. Just an idea.

Sneikz said:
If it's the CG motor:

https://www.ooracing.com/oil-cooler-kit-ace-125/150-universal-cg-style.html

also see forum post here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70569.msg830993#msg830993

Was that for me Sneikz? If so it is different to my motor (cb125e). Different shape, but thank you.

urastus said:
Was that for me Sneikz? If so it is different to my motor (cb125e). Different shape, but thank you.

I appreciate the lower link Sneikz w/ the oil cooler install on the Sky Team Ace w/ the CG125 style engine(?)only I have an XL185S engine in my 1981' CB125S.I have had the ports opened up quite a bit in the head and that does cool it well w/ the 'Hi Flow' exhaust,which is basically a custom head-pipe w/ a larger diameter(that always cools the engine)and presently I'm running a stock HM344 right side CB350K4 twin muffler that is quiet but breathes better.I've de-tuned the exhaust for the street to get a bit more midrange power using a bit more back pressure and it runs a little hotter but nothing near as hot as when I installed the CB150 kit(145cc 61mm piston & cylinder)into my original 81' CB125S engine w/ stock ports and muffler.. I had to change the oil quite a bit as it would cook it fast.I like to use the bike as a small street/short distance touring bike(small ::))and it works well on the street.I like the performance w/ the china-kit piston/cyl. kit as the piston is domed and a bit more compression than the flat-top stock XL185S piston.I would still like to have an oil cooler kit to fit the engine though as i will be installing a stock cyl. head again to de-tune it further and gain back all the mid-range power the engine can give for the street.I don't mind reduced top-end but mid-range power is nice on a small bike.
I can't seem to find an oil cooler kit anywhere for a 2nd. gen. CB125S(1981'-82' uses the same exact crankcases as the XL185S engine I'm using now) w/ the 2-piece cyl. head,I just need to keep searching I suppose.

urastus said:

urastus,
Does the engine in your cb125e run any cooler now that you've disconnected the air injection ?

grcamna5 said:
urastus,
Does the engine in your cb125e run any cooler now that you've disconnected the air injection ?

I theorized that it would (less burning going on). I've only taken it on one good ride since but fast forest roads. The exhaust didn't carry on so much when the engine was stopped (all the crackling of the steel as it cools down). But, I also put a washer under the slide / needle and I expect this was probably a coolness contributor too. And deceleration popping only happened once. So, not really conclusive yet, and the weather is crap.

I thank you again for carb tuning advice too. I'm still waiting on a jet, but just the washer seems to make the bike run better already.

urastus said:
I theorized that it would (less burning going on). I've only taken it on one good ride since but fast forest roads. The exhaust didn't carry on so much when the engine was stopped (all the crackling of the steel as it cools down). But, I also put a washer under the slide / needle and I expect this was probably a coolness contributor too. And deceleration popping only happened once. So, not really conclusive yet, and the weather is crap.

I thank you again for carb tuning advice too. I'm still waiting on a jet, but just the washer seems to make the bike run better already.

I'm glad to hear it's running cooler and the jetting(small washer) will help fine tune your jetting.Do they use Ethanol in your fuel as they do here in the USA ?

In my '74 125S build up, I have parts from 74 all the way up to '85, and theres many CB, CL, SL and XR 125 single cylinder parts used and some larger XL and XR parts and I have some where a list of honda models that include the ATC125, 185, and 200... do some research and digging and you will find that a lot of factory honda parts that you can find on ebay and in bike salvage yards that can turn your thumper into a sweet little machine,,, I have a note book somewhere with tons of part numbers the are interchangeable between models...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using DO THE TON mobile app

AshtonMarie81 said:
In my '74 125S build up, I have parts from 74 all the way up to '85, and theres many CB, CL, SL and XR 125 single cylinder parts used and some larger XL and XR parts and I have some where a list of honda models that include the ATC125, 185, and 200... do some research and digging and you will find that a lot of factory honda parts that you can find on ebay and in bike salvage yards that can turn your thumper into a sweet little machine,,, I have a note book somewhere with tons of part numbers the are interchangeable between models...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using DO THE TON mobile app

That's what I like about the CB125,lot's of parts are interchangeable :) w/ other single cyl. models.I'm using a cyl. head from a 1983' ATC200X and bottom end from an 82' XL125S and the XL185 crank and cyl./piston.I'll be degreeing the camshaft soon w/ a cam sprocket that I'm getting from Terry Miller in OR.

grcamna5 said:
I'm glad to hear it's running cooler and the jetting(small washer) will help fine tune your jetting.Do they use Ethanol in your fuel as they do here in the USA ?

Sorry for the delay, no email notifications. Fuel with ethanol isn't that common here. It's more available in cities at certain outlets I think. Most motoring enthusiasts (of various flavors) won't use it, and then there are environmental concerns (an irony). The sugar cane farmers are the only unanimous supporters - as, I imagine, are the corn farmers in the states.

I don't use fuel with ethanol.

Back
Top Bottom