Looking for help, how do I set points/time a 77 Suzi GT250

thibble

I don't know if front points are left or rear points. I know it's best done with a dial gauge but mine is at my other house and I just want to get it to run, picked it up as a basket case.

Would like to use factory timing marks and a light to set (I know, light goes out when points open), but no idea what point gap is, and if L or R mark are front points.

Any help appreciated.

if memory serves me, points gap is .014", front points are left and rear are right (or if your facing it, left points are left and right points are right. Ill check my service manual when I get off work tonight if I remember. I used a timing light for mine, got me close enough.

Thanks! Be looking for a confirmation from your manual. I've got a new manual on order but it's coming from UK to US so will be a couple of weeks.

Once I have the timing marks verified with my dial gage I'll use a timing light as well. It's been down for crank seals by the previous owner so I don't trust the factory marks for more than a test fire in the garage.

thibble said:
Thanks! Be looking for a confirmation from your manual. I've got a new manual on order but it's coming from UK to US so will be a couple of weeks.

Once I have the timing marks verified with my dial gage I'll use a timing light as well. It's been down for crank seals by the previous owner so I don't trust the factory marks for more than a test fire in the garage.

factory timing marks should be fine as the flywheel is keyed, so if you tested it with a light you should be pretty dang close on it. never a bad idea to check with an indicator, but a timing light will serve you fine.

And, crank seals are a pita to get for the 76 and 77 model gt250, so if the p.o. did actually replace them, consider yourself lucky.

Back
Top Bottom