1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: MOTO GUZZI V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary

Hey Dale..... great detailed build you have going on. That is going to be one kick a$$ Guzzi. I am with you on getting someone to help when you get stuck or are in over your head. I have a few mechanic friends who I call on from time to time to help me. Sometimes I even pay them to do some of the work for me, especially if it involves expensive parts and critical clearances. I hate to screw stuff up and have to pay for parts all over again..... :'( :'( :'( .

Thanks for the info 50gary. I figured It would be around $200 per cylinder. I see the Guzzi cylinders are nikasil already...

250 snowmobile cylinders per day! *wowsers*. :)

Hey barnicle, thanks a lot for the links. I haven't had a look yet, but will definirtley be following up on this shortly. So you put yours in a tube on the frame! That sounds pretty damn cool. Do you a pic posted anywhere? Would love to see it!

dewjantim, appreciate the encouragement, and the sound advice. Ive taken the bottom end in to be reassembled, and I'm going to drop the cylinders off at the same guy when they're done. Just makes sense right now.

And then I can get on with this build. Ive got a bunch of small things to do in the meantime, but I'm kinda wanting to get the bike mocked up and really get my teeth back into it again.

----- And thanks to all the Moto Guzzi guys who have been emailing me. Don't know where you all are from exactly, but its great to know you're enjoying the build thread here! Wow. I'm really taken aback! Thanks for the interest! :)

While I'm waiting for the motor, here's some other stuff that's been happening...

When taking the bike apart, there were some indications that the bike had obviously been dropped at some point in its 50K miles history. Nothing major though. The fork stansions were *slightly* oval, the clutch lever end had some scrapes, and when I took the headlamp off, I noticed that the rim had been mounted 90deg offset from its proper position, and it had deep gouges in it. The offset mounting done to hide the gouges which now were at the bottom instead of on the side...

Headlight_01.jpg

I straightened it out as much as I could, and then took it in to have the gouges filled, and plated... The guys did an awesome job...

headlight_ring_B.jpg

The headlamp cone was a little banged up, not too bad - just a couple of dents. I knocked them out and had it powdercoated matt black.

Headlight.jpg

Cleaned up the plastic components and fitted.

Thats a nice bucket... maybe its becuase its early and I havent ate breakfast; but it looks like a good bowl for cereal at the moment ;)
-slice

Love this build, I hope to get myself a Guzzi some day, going to keep watching the transformation of this one.

Cheers,

Maritime

Slice said:
Thats a nice bucket... maybe its becuase its early and I havent ate breakfast; but it looks like a good bowl for cereal at the moment ;)
-slice

He he. That put a smile on my face. I don't think Ill ever be able to see this headlamp in the same way again! Thanks Slice! ;D

Thanks Maritime! Glad you like the build so far. Man I'm so itching to get that motor back so I can do some "real work"!

Just keep dem' updates comin' Dale. Guzzis' are highly underrated, great sport and touring bikes. And that motor...... lets just say it pulls like a tractor....hehehe. Many years ago I had an 850 T3 which I painted red with a 1/4 fairing, low bars, and Harley XR1000 exhaust..... everyone thought it was a LeMans......

Great looking project Dale, I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I've got a 1982 V50iii myself, lightly cafe'd, and it's a really sweet ride.

Have you done all the standard engine mods while you've got it open, like enlarging the oil dowels?

Putting on pods instead of the airbox should be no problem, I think most V50s have this done sooner or later (mine certainly has). The easiest way to deal with the breather hoses is just to install a small bottle somewhere discreet and lead the hoses to it, then empty it each time you do an oil change.

Cheers

Tony

dewjantim, I can just imagine what that bike looked like from your description, and yes it definitley conjures up a Le Mans in my head! Nice.

Hey Tony,

Thanks for posting. Very nice to meet someone else with a similar bike! Please post a pic! Would love to see it! :)

TonyH said:
Have you done all the standard engine mods while you've got it open, like enlarging the oil dowels?

mmm. Now Mike (flashman) on Wild Guzzi mentioned a similar thing to me regarding drilling the transmission housings to feed oil up to the pinion carrier bearings...

Is this what youre referning to?

I believe its laid out in Guzziology - I WILL be ordering my copy shorty.

And yes, with regards the pods - nice to know that its done a lot. Did you change your jetting at all?
Making up a small container for the breather hoses should be simple enough. So this is pretty standard as well then I gather?
This is my first Moto Guzzi, so I was speculating...

Thanks again for your time and advice! :)

Hi Dale

The oil dowels take oil up to the heads, they run between the push rod tunnels. However, on further checking it seems the mod isn't recommended for early V50s (mark i and ii), I think coz they had smaller oil pumps.

My V50 already had pods on it when I got it, so I don't know if the carbs were re-jetted, sorry. I may be able to find out though, will ask.

I think the oil bottle is a pretty standard trick, it certainly works well.

TonyH said:
The oil dowels take oil up to the heads, they run between the push rod tunnels. However, on further checking it seems the mod isn't recommended for early V50s (mark i and ii), I think coz they had smaller oil pumps.

Right! Thanks. Wouldnt want to make any mistakes like that.

Ive tried to find a link to buy Guzziology directly from Moto International (the author's shop), but I cant seem to find anything on the site. Amazon are selling it for a hundred bucks! :-/ (!)

The steering head nut was *very* tight. I had to a get a fair amount of heat, penetrating oil, and time into it getting it loose. In the process I destroyed the super thin aluminium dome with the Moto Guzzi logo on it.

Managed to get a NOS replacement. Cool thing is, now once everything is reassembled and tightened correctly, I can put on the little dome with the logo lined up straight! :) Hey it might seem lame to some, but I think that's pretty cool.

SteeringHeadnutCover.jpg

( The blue is just the protective plastic covering. )

The fine details... Cant go over looked.

Dale said:
Right! Thanks. Wouldnt want to make any mistakes like that.

Ive tried to find a link to buy Guzziology directly from Moto International (the author's shop), but I cant seem to find anything on the site. Amazon are selling it for a hundred bucks! :-/ (!)

It's not listed on their website. Call Greg Field at Moto International 800-949-MOTO or 206-297-3822 and he'll get a copy sent to you. Note they are closed Sundays and Mondays.

Re: MOTO GUZZI V50 II Detailed Cafe Build

Thanks for all the great info Tony. I pm'd you in case you didn't see...

Ok, so the engine build is coming along pretty slowly. The Torque settings in the manual I downloaded might as well be in hieroglyphics.

Based on my skill level, I’m just not the "divide something by something else to get the setting type of guy - I just want the setting." I'm touch and go as it is.

So I finally managed to get settings from a guy who works on Guzzi's who lives in the area, who also gave me some advice.

If anyone else is needing the settings for the following (ever), here it is in Metric English:

Main bearing torque settings = 4.4 to 4.8 kgm
Big ends = 3.2 to 3.5 kgm
Cyl heads = 4.2 to 4.4 kgm

Bottomend_05.jpg

Keep on workin' Dale, it is starting to come right along. I like the Guzzi emblem...... the small details which people do not consciously see add a lot to the overall perception of the bike...... I am anxious for you to get the engine done and see the rest of your build.....

dewjantim said:
Keep on workin' Dale, it is starting to come right along. I like the Guzzi emblem...... the small details which people do not consciously see add a lot to the overall perception of the bike......

Yeah thanks, the bike is greater than the sum of its parts, and these little touches add to that philosophy!

dewjantim said:
I am anxious for you to get the engine done and see the rest of your build.....

Tell me about it! :p

Well at least the motor is coming along, and I know for certain that its right. I'm hoping to have it ready by the weekend...

More progress (cellphone pic at night :-/ )

Motor_02.jpg

Once its all put together, Ive got a few places that still need to have a little petrol, scotch-brite and elbow grease to clean it up properly. Already did a once over before stripping, but the final touch will be to have these casings looking nice and clean...

BARRELS :)

Getting them ready. The guys who did the linings battled with the one barrel, and it had to be redone 3 times before they got it right. The other one didn't give them any problems. The process of acid bathing etc has also given me the benefit of a cosmetic facelift.

Barrels_02.jpg

Barrels_01.jpg

Barrels_03.jpg

New o-rings etc...

Slowly getting there. :)

Very purty' Dale 8) 8) 8) . Funny, how you work and work on all the little things....... then, one day...... bang.... there it is :eek: :eek: :eek: ...... looking as good in your garage as it did in your head :) :) :) .

Back
Top Bottom