'75 CB125S

CB Josh

Hey guys, I'm new to the motorcycle resto game. Here is the link to my Intro thread http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41929.0

Today is my first day on the project and I already have a few questions. First, how to you seperate the throttle cable from the carb? I unscrewed the the threaded ring at the top but won't detach and I don't want to just pulled on it with all of my tard-strength.

Second, the inside of the tank looks like the outside of the Titanic. What is the best way to clean it? I've heard acetone works well but I wanted to see what you guys think.

Here's a few pics of what I have thus far. Nothing fancy, just another neglected 125.

20121007_111801_HDR.jpg

20121007_125001_HDR.jpg

20121007_125029_HDR.jpg

20121007_112319_HDR.jpg

Finally managed to get the carb apart. Tomorrow I'm planning on cleaning the inside of the tank and changing the oil. I'd like to try to see if it will run sometime this week so I know what I'm up against.

Second day on my first build and Ive just made my first rookie mistake. I've broken off the drain plug in the bottom of the carb case. This has got me thinking, would it be beneficial to just get a slightly larger carb? I want to squeeze as much power out of the motor as I can, 12hp just isn't enough. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

20121008_135109_HDR.jpg

Love the 125's. Firstly, if you haven't already got it, download the workshop manual here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20352.0. In regards to de-rusting your tank, there's plenty of info out there, I've always used the acid method. You can use a commercially available acid rust remover, or a much cheaper option would be vinegar (never tried it, but looks very promising), just do a search. If you want more power, you could always go for a big bore kit. Powroll have been in the business for decades: http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_VINTAGE_100-125.htm. You could end up spending a lot of money gaining just a marginal amount of power. I've got one of these bikes, and It's a lot of fun without having lots of power.

Thanks for the workshop manual, that is going to come in handy. I got the tank cleaned out pretty well, I used lacquer thinner and I shook around a bunch of nails, I rinsed it out and repeated the process 4 times. It looks brand new. My new problem is the petcock, I need to clean it but I can't find a new screen and seal that goes at the bottom. The screen and seal that is in there now is in pretty good shape but someone told me that I should replace after all these years anyway and I figured that's probably a pretty good idea.

Cool bike!

For the rust try CLR or other commercial stuff available. I used CLR and then just coated it with Red Kote tonight. But Moa is right, just look around here and you will find what you need.

As for more power, again Moa is right. You don't need alot of power to have fun on a bike like this. Good luck, can't wait to see what else you get done with it.

Thanks WNTITAL, the rust is my next hurdle I'll shop around and see what I can pic up.

Thanks! It's a 66 coupe with a few goodies under the hood and an AOD out of a foxbody. I'm planning on ditching the AOD soon and replacing it with a T-5.

Nice! That would be my choice as well.

The CLR does work well just make sure to keep the tank full of water and let it sit for a day or two. You can also add some CLR and some chain, bolts, nuts or screws. Whatever you have to help break up the majority of it. Shake it up for a while. You get the idea. Once done make sure to coat it with something. Otherwise the rust will just come back. I knew it would be some time before I got to it so good old WD40 worked great. Remember it stands for WaterDisplacement.

Another issue I have is my wheels, they are absolutely trashed and 7 shades of brown. Should I just CLR the rims and re-spoke it or just plan on buying new ones?

I wouldn't get rid of them just yet. If they are straight you will most likely have to get them stripped. They are probably chrome. I had mine stripped and then Powdercoated.

Also, $300 for new ones is pretty expensive when for about $100 you can strip and PC. Your call. You could also just paint them after stripping. Most people do that. It depends on the level you want to go to and how much you want to spend.

Well after a week of school and family time, I finally got a few hours to myself today and turned a few wrenches. All I have left to remove is the electrics, motor, and the front end.... now it seems like I haven't done squat :-\ I guess I spent a lot of time on the tank and the carb.

Well here are a few pics, any advice or criticism is welcome.

20121014_192438.jpg

20121014_192414_HDR.jpg

20121014_192458.jpg

20121014_192424_HDR.jpg

P.S. No laughing at my ghetto workstation 8)

Well I decided to start the day off right and procrastinate on my homework. I was looking at my wheels and noticed that they are in worse shape than I thought. Any Texans here in east or north Texas area know a good place where I can get them blasted and powder coated? Thanks.

20121012_203736.jpg

20121012_203853_HDR.jpg

20121012_203724_HDR.jpg

The peeling on your wheels is the chrome flaking off. Most times sandblasting the wheels won't do the job. You may have to have them dipped to remove what's left of the chrome. Since you mentioned before you would like to keep them I would get them dipped. Also remember you will have to remove all the spokes and nipples before you take the rims in. They do look pretty narly but not the worst I've seen.

Heres what mine look like after de-chroming and pc and polish:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19914.90

Thanks again for your advice WNTITAL, I'll call around and see what I can do.

As for the rest of the bike, I struggled with a stubborn bolt on the sprocket cover for a while. After some time and magic the cover revealed the sprocket that at first appeared to be bent, but then I realized it was completely loose... awesome.

20121015_201241_HDR.jpg

You're missing the retaining ring and bolts. You'll need them for when you put the chain back on for good.

Yeah I figured I was missing some parts, I have no idea where they could have gone though. This bike went from being ridden almost daily to sitting for 23 years. I guess someone needed some parts.

Got some garage time today, I finally got the motor out. That thing was freaking in there, didn't want to let go. After that I took apart the front wheel, I ended up breaking off two of the spokes in the nipples. Not a big deal I know, but I was going for the high score.

20121020_173524_HDR.jpg

20121020_210952_HDR.jpg

Keep going. Nice job on the bags and labels. Exactley how I did it. Still want some pics of the mustang. Im I did hard guy guy. Love the old stuff!

Back
Top Bottom