Right fork oil level and Grade

Birdsboyfriend

Hi thr, this is Joseph from Sydney. Bought a pair of fork lowering kit (Progressive Spring) for my 1996 Yamaha virago xv750. Lowering the bike for 2 inch, how much oil should I fill and what grade of oil.
Thanks,
Joseph.

Fork oil and level is such a variable between different bikes and the modifications that you have done (emulators, springs, valves etc).

For instance my Triumph Thruxton has an air gap (which is the part you measure - not the amount of oil) of 123mm with the springs out, any valves etc. in and fully compressed.

I use a large syringe, a piece of tubing and a hollow stainless steel hollow basting needle and measure the length needle using the length as the guide whilst sucking out the extra.. You can buy these on Ebay but they are easy to make and I am a cheap bastard. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KiWAV-motorcycle-fork-oil-level-gauge-measurement-adjustment-tool-/171380068618?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e70c510a

The Triumph Manual states 7wt fork oil for Triumphs but they do not make a 7wt oil for the market !!!! Each fork oil brand has a slight variation of viscosity as well . I generally use 10wt Motul and have tried 15wt which I personally have found to be a bit harsh but if you use some brands of emulators or intiminators they say to use 5wt!!

I have played with suspension quite a bit and whilst it is not a black art it is perplexing at times and important to remember to change each setting and right the changes down (in case you need to go back) and only change on thing at a time.

Measure the air gap before you remove the current springs see how you go. You should set your static sag after you have installed your new springs as the change in rack will (may) make the bike a little more twitchy if you do not adjust the rear as well (proportionally).

Have a play and report back on the progress. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom