KZ200 Brat Tracker Build -- "Poor Man's Pine"

Oil Cooker Designs said:
Oh Ya, What are you going to do with the foot pegs and controls? I have left the main pegs off and the bag pegs fit nicely, I think I might design my own foot controls, Have you figured anything out yet or going to use the factory ones?

Besides paint, bars, and shock adjustments--I plan on using as many stock components as possible. Since I want to do some trail riding with the bike, I like the placement of the stock pegs better than a rear set. Also, another reason I wanted to keep the longer stock seat pan (besides the fact that it's kickass), is that I may want to bring my wife along for an easy trial ride or two. Thus, having forward stock pegs and a second set in the rear will allow the occasional passenger.

Oil Cooker Designs said:
Im interested in seeing what you do with the license/light combo. And ya that seat pan is a sweet gift from kawasaki. I agree with the larger shocks, 1-2" will get that stance, I just stared looking at beefier tires with an on/off road tread.

I plan on using this light--it's an integrated brake light, tail light, and turn signals--all in one clean little package. I wish it was oval instead of diamond shaped, but for the price I'm not going to complain.

I'm going to carefully punch holes in the rear seat cover, and attach the light to the bottom rear panel of the seat. I will probably take the seat to the guy who made it to have him stitch around the holes to maintain the integrity of the cover for the long term.

Light on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251210399579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Seat inspiration...this seat is similar to mine in shape, thickness and length. If I could copy the overall stance of this bike, I would in a heartbeat!

Look at how the brake light and license plate bracket are attached to this seat--this is similar to what I will do, but I plan to attach mine to the bottom of the back panel as opposed to underneath.

aaronbev79 said:
Here's where the inspiration for the seat color came from in case you think I'm crazy. :)

I love the tan color seats, I like the seats flat like the second bike,and those tires are pretty mean looking.

aaronbev79 said:
Seat is finished! When the rest of the bike is blacked out, this is going to offset the black nicely.

Here's the seat when I picked it up from the shop:

Here it is when I got it home and put it on my bike. I really like how the stock pan goes up in the back almost giving it a slight street fighter look. The thickness is perfect. Thick and comfortable enough that it will be great to ride around on, but about half as thick as the stock seat.

DAMN that seat looks awesome! How much did he charge you for?

He would've charged me $100 for everything had I used the stock barbs under the seat, but I had him install hidden snaps that cost me an extra $50. I wanted the ability to remove and reinstall the cover, and the stock barbs are only good for one or two recovers.

I found some shocks off an old dirt bike for cheap at the local used parts shop. I have dropped the front end a little over 1" and I have raised the rear 2" -- here are before and after pics:

*Tank color is just a test spray...what do you think?

Before:

After:

Well, I think I've made my paint choice for the gas tank. I was originally going to go all black, but then after I got the seat I knew that I wanted to do something that helped to better tie the saddle colored seat with the blacked out bike. My first idea was to go with OD green--like a military bike color. But then I found a color called "oil rubbed bronze metallic" that is really a nice tie in for the bike.

*I will replace this pic with a daytime pic in the morning:

Time to get this engine running again!

To do list:

- Clean and reassemble carburetor (finished)
- All new gaskets
- Clean and paint jug (finished), side covers (finished), and head
- Install engine back in frame and reinstall wiring harness

I painted the jug, cleaned all the carbon off the old piston, and started to get most of the carbon off of the head and valves. If all goes well, I should have the engine reassembled and painted by the end of the weekend.

Well, so much for getting the engine back together this weekend. I still need to take the old piston off my donor bottom end, and finish cleaning the head pictured below. Once that's finished, it will be time to put the covers on the case, new gaskets throughout the engine, and tightening according to torque specifications. Hopefully I can get the motor put back together and reinstalled in the frame some time this week...we'll see.

Oil Cooker Designs said:
That stance is wicked, and the O.R.B color really works. Im going to have to catch up. Awesome build.

Thanks! I was surprised at how much of a difference longer shocks and a lowered front made in the bike. I cant wait to see this thing with the engine and exhaust installed.

looks killer, psyched to see the finished product! i'm working on a kz650 brat/tracker myself. how did you adhere the pad to the foam? once she's running and road legal the seat is next on the list.

gee_tee_p said:
looks killer, psyched to see the finished product! i'm working on a kz650 brat/tracker myself. how did you adhere the pad to the foam? once she's running and road legal the seat is next on the list.

Thanks! It's nice to get feedback. Sometimes I just think I'm talking to myself in here.

I didn't adhere the pad to the foam. No need to. The cover holds the pad onto the foam just fine, and the cover is so tight that nothing is going to shift around.

Finally getting some progress on the engine. Rings, gaskets, jug, and head all installed. Cam installed and timing is set. Hopefully I will have time to get it back in the bike tomorrow.

Reassembly has started. I ended up using a different bottom end, so I have to paint covers again. But a good running engine is worth it. I also replaced the other handlebars with a set of Renthal bars off a KTM that I got on ebay for $13--shipping included. :)

What do you think of the progress so far?

Before:

Currently:

Inspiration:

I'm getting pretty close to that Triumph Scrambler/Jack Pine look! I have to say that I'm fairly satisfied so far. But I have a lot of polishing, painting, and fabricating still to do... Back to work!

Back
Top Bottom