CB400f - Excel wheels and tire size

Integra99

I'm playing with my new project and just laced up some new rims, 2.1" front and 2.5" rears.

standard the bike runs 90 front.. and 100 rear.

With these rims I can run 100 front and 110 rear quite comfortably (Avon Roadriders) , my query should I push to a 120 rear or will that be too much?

Likely you will not like the 120, and though it can be fitted to the rim, it will not be properly supported. (edit - those are wide rims for this motorcycle, but the 120 tire would be happy on the 2.5) I don't recall if there are clearance issues with that tire. I have a 400F, and can tell you that anything larger than the 100/110 combo will adversely impact handling, especially on the front. We are used to seeing very wide tires on modern bikes, but old bikes need tire widths very close to their original design to perform well. 110/120 tires will make your bike feel like a 750 with 350 motor in it. The Avons are a great choice - my go to tire.

Ok thanks for the feedback yes I think 120 is too much, I have a brand new 100 front and 110 rear.. so I'm going to get those fitted and see how we do. I just wanted to push the rear out a little bit over stock thats all.. I know thats design over function but I think it will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom