Todd Henning Racing - CB350 Engine Prep and Race Footage

Bobdot

Coast to Coast
Very cool video orginally posted on here by joevirus563. It would be even beter if he went into ever detail of what he was doing to prep the engine but cool none the less to see it from that perspective.

THR HONDA

bob.

thats aewsome,
thinking on gettng my race license this year. and racing my cb500 in the vintage class.
post some more vids of the racing.
later.

I got some VM's through them and it was pretty pricy, but good guys and a nd they spec'd out the jetting and everything and sent me a complete package to bolt up. Race services are always expensive.

LuckyLuci631 said:
awsome..what piece is he using on his dremel to clean up the head there

I'm guessing it's a stainless steel wire brush. So what's the deal with solid copper head gaskets? Are they good for street motors? I was told they tend to melt due to hot spots created by the combustion.

Henning took the top off the motor to clean carbon out of the combustion chamber and he checks the cam timing which may change due to chain-stretch.

Copper head gaskets transfer heat between the head and cylinder better and distribute the cooling load between the head and cylinder finning. He anneals the gasket before he re-uses it, this softens the copper so it conforms to irregularities better. You get it just barely red and drop it edge-first into water, done.

He puts the top end back on and sets up a dial indicator to degree the cam in, then he is finished and puts her back in the frame.

Henning did a lot of top-level vintage racing a while back, beating everything with his cb450 Drixton-Hondas including all the G-50s and Manxes. At one point he was "detuned" by a bad get-off that rung his bell hard. After that you heard of him more as a tuner than a rider.

In that vid....that is Buff Harsh building that motor....good guy! Buff handles all of the Todd Henning parts and race stuff now......Todd is pretty much retired.
Here is Todd(left) and I at Barber 2009......hadnt seen him in several years.....nice to hang out with him that weekend.
DSC01731x.jpg

By the way.......the racer on the bike in the end of the vid is Todd's son Ari Henning. Ari is super fast like his dad........and at 7:38 in the vid you can see how fast....as he passes me on the front straight at Barber that year. Buff/Todd's bike is powerfull!!

i love this video!!! at around 5:07 in the vid the guy behind you wants to catch you so bad he does the gnarlyest pass on some slow guy heavy!!! he just leans in to passing him lol :eek: :mad: you huys are nuts

hey guys are there any more of these vids out there.
love the vintage racing.
any more tech vids aswell??
later.

LuckyLuci631 said:
awsome..what piece is he using on his dremel to clean up the head there
It really looks like a small flapwheel but that would be way too aggressive to clean carbon.
Probably 'red' scotchbrite wheel or rubber with nylon?

DrJ said:
I'm guessing it's a stainless steel wire brush. So what's the deal with solid copper head gaskets? Are they good for street motors? I was told they tend to melt due to hot spots created by the combustion.

copper head gaskets are used in racing because they are reusable,seep oil and have to O-ring the block and head

Back
Top Bottom