The "Bomber" GL1100 project - added video

Re: The "Bomber" my GL1100 project

I know with CB's....if the frame is bare, you can lay the motor on it's side, and set the frame over the motor. Then drop in the motor mounts and stand the whole thing upright. Then the only chore is getting 2 other guys to help lift the frame and motor up on to the bike lift....in your case, maybe 3-4 guys! :'(

I guess you could use a cherrypicker to hold the motor up and then you and a friend hold the frame up to it and bolt it on to the motor, and then lower the whole mess on to the bike lift.

hmmmm....waiting to hear how you do this.

A stripped down wing will REALLY rip! ;D

~Joe

Dizzamn! That engine spray looks fookin awesome! That looks like a bit of labor you have in that baby! WOW!

Thanks guys, appreciate the Props! I painted the timing pulley's Duplicolor flat black engine enamel and installed them as well as the rear timing coves and the tensioners ... she's starting to come together. I plan on polishing the original timing covers and valve covers. So far I have stepped down the wet sanding to 800 to get the little flaws out. Lots o work but should look sweet when its done.

Traveler said:
I know with CB's....if the frame is bare, you can lay the motor on it's side, and set the frame over the motor. Then drop in the motor mounts and stand the whole thing upright. Then the only chore is getting 2 other guys to help lift the frame and motor up on to the bike lift....in your case, maybe 3-4 guys! :'(

I guess you could use a cherrypicker to hold the motor up and then you and a friend hold the frame up to it and bolt it on to the motor, and then lower the whole mess on to the bike lift.

hmmmm....waiting to hear how you do this.

A stripped down wing will REALLY rip! ;D

~Joe

Answered already, guess I need to post pics along the way, I can see it in my head just fine! :D

[quote author=Hoosier Daddy]
The engine does weigh a friggin metric ton, but the lower frame section on the left side is removable to hep get it in and out.
*pic*
When I pulled it I used a floor jack. Now I've built a dolley, like a small creeper with tall wheels, to the right height to reinstall it, should go in much easier.
[/quote]

Lookin' good! And yeah, to get my 850 onto the back of a mates ute we had to get 4 of us hold onto the frame and lift it up in one big heave :eek:

As for the wetsanding the better you do the job the more you'll appreciate it, and the less you'll regret skimping, later on.

Keep up the good stuff - boingk

also be sure you are using a block while you wet sand! will make all the diff! i was just polishing paint last night
25908_384988250973_536275973_4354561_5217123_n.jpg

JRK5892 said:
also be sure you are using a block while you wet sand! will make all the diff! i was just polishing paint last night
25908_384988250973_536275973_4354561_5217123_n.jpg

Hey Mo! Nyuck Nyuck!

You know I love ya Joe!

Hell yeah! Also kinda reminds me of those Intel spacesuit guys..

JRK5892 said:
also be sure you are using a block while you wet sand! will make all the diff! ...

Never had much luck block sanding a curved part like the timing belt covers, always wound up with ridges. On these, even the flat part has raised ribs I would surely flatten instead of keeping curved on top. I seem to have better luck with my hand following the contour. Now on long flat surfaces sure, a sanding block keeps me from getting dips.
But thanks for the tip. ;D

This weeks update...
Been installing bits and pieces on the engine. I got the timing gears painted with flat black engine enamel, backing plates, tensioners , new belts installed and timed the engine. Rolled her over a few times and the marks lined right back up. ;D

Today I took the T-stat housing pieces, coolant tubes, and head fittings into work and bead blasted them and when I got home painted them as well as the fuel pump and starter the same Duplicolor 1615 silver to match the rest of the engine.

Oh yea.. Octane's (Lars) bike is an legend,
When I first got this bike I Googled "Cafe Goldwing" and that popped up, I knew right then the direction I wanted to take with this build.
Have you seen his supercharged Indian Land Speed Record bike project?
He's a welth of knowledge on the Naked Goldwing Forum (NGWclub.com) I frequent as well as DTT.

There's a forum for that shit?? I'm there!!

Staffy said:
There's a forum for that shit?? I'm there!!
Oh hell yes... Here is a small collection of other members bikes.
Randakk’s
01_75_Goldwing_Tight_Side_View.jpg

Sunnbobbs "Vyper" take 1
viper1.jpg

Heckler
Heckler_004.jpg

Silver B’s
flaming_forgassers.jpg

Menkelwing
menkelwing44_gl1000_sized_a.jpg

Blank’s
goldiebilder1.jpg

Thunderchild’s
IMG_1454.JPG

Kritch’s
IMG00040.jpg

Sunbobbs "Vyper" take 2
file.php

pfffffffttt baaaaaahahahaha try again skipper!!

Staffy said:
pfffffffttt baaaaaahahahaha try again skipper!!
Uh-oh, you can't see them? I can but then, I am a member to the forum.... ::)
Hit F5 and I can still see them.
Anybody else?

They all turned out for me.

While they all look cool in their own ways, Blanks Wing is smokin!

Back
Top Bottom