Starting problem

r4g5

Hi, had a weird problem yesterday when I was leaving work.
Left the bike in gear cos I couldn't get into neutral on the while coasting to a stop. Finished work and hopped on turned the key and hit the ignition switch. Got a laboured turn over like she had a flat battery but then all the electrics went out (no light, indicators, ignition). First thought was that I had blown the fuse. In the process of checking it i rocked the bike and tried it again and it tried to turn over again...so rocked her some more and she fired up and electrics were all good.
I rewired the ignition but I soldered and covered the connection so I think the connections are all good, will recheck them. It's the rocking that got me. Used to do it on old cars with a flat spot on the flywheel to get them going, but they would still crank. I'm wondering if it could be a stator problem?
Since then I've used the bike and she started and ran no problem, what do you guys think? She's running and starting fine at the moment I'm just a bit scared if the problem is symptomatic of something on the way out or it gets worse...cheers

Are you sure it's electrical ? If you couldn't find neutral it sounds more like a clutch or gearbox issue... especially if rocking the bike fixed it. Maybe the clutch plates are stuck (or not disengaging fully) and rocking the bike in gear broke them free ?

Sounds like a dead battery to me?
Barely turning it over, then it goes dead. Then you wait a minute and it fires up on the batteries last leg. Once it's running the charging system takes over.

Cheers for the comments guys...think there are a few wee problems with the beastie, part of the beauty I'll check the grounds, have just got new connectors and switches/LEDs and planned on rewiring most of it so with be sure to check all the grounds and this sounds most likely.
Mariner, neutral is a complete pig to find and normally if I can't find it while coasting I just give up cos I don't want to seem like an idiot for 5 minutes before getting off the bike
About 1100km now so hopefully still needs some running in to loosen up a bit?
On a side note, the petrol cap I fitted doesn't help with the fuel leakage so I'm going to try and get some cork and hopefully seal it better...tried various rubber gaskets but they were either too thick or too thin.
Thanks again for the help, happy riding
Paul

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using DO THE TON mobile app

Even the 50 doesn't like neutral from first, light comes on but shes not in neutral (most of the time), found that out after parking, releasing clutch and falling over with the bike ;)

Hi Guys,

Having a few issues with my own little beastie, she doesnt seem to want to tick over, have check spark and ground but she just doesnt want to go, battery is all good cause all lights a fine.

when using the electric start she just does the whole nying nying type noise (best shot at spelling a noise) with throttle.

And kicking isnt easy but sometimes sound like she wants to go when i do, i wondering if its just the cold but i just spent half an hour kicking and trying the electric start and she still not starting, if anyone has some suggestions that would be great.

i am in the barmy warmth of London (fucking freezing) and unfortunately i dont own a garage so my best bet is cold as it only started happening about 2 days before christmas but as its my commuting transport would like to get the girl up and running again.

Cheers lads.

Beelzebub.

Hey there, when new my bike was pretty feeble at starting and always took a few turns with the stock plug. When I changed to iridium it would jump into life better. Are you running an iridium plug? Stock? It might help to upgrade to a stronger spark

it not that new as i had it for a year and have put a good amount of mileage on her, i do have the iridium plug, need to try the old jump start today as couldn't give it a good shot yesterday as it was all ready 10 at night. and ill have to look into getting some starter fluid.

All sorted, when I was putting the new front controls I stripped everything and put in a new battery. Seems the battery was weak and there was some corrosion around the positive terminal...new battery and a quick clean up and she's starting first time every time.

r4g5 said:
Hey there, when new my bike was pretty feeble at starting and always took a few turns with the stock plug. When I changed to iridium it would jump into life better. Are you running an iridium plug? Stock? It might help to upgrade to a stronger spark

Gotta agree on the Iridium. Have now placed in all my bikes. Smooth as....

Finally got the girl running again a few weeks back turned out to be that blasted kickstand kill switch the wire inside the connector was bouncing around like it was on ecstacy make the bike cut out or not even start, ripped that out quick smart once I figured it out

Sent from my LG-H930 using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom