"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Love the red frame. One of the first Norton cafe racers I saw (back in the sixties) was red and silver and I still lust after it. She broke my heart. All hot and sexy. Such a tease.

As for the G50 seat and Manx tank.... Beach you don't change you old dog. :)

Keep having fun

teazer said:
Love the red frame. One of the first Norton cafe racers I saw (back in the sixties) was red and silver and I still lust after it. She broke my heart. All hot and sexy. Such a tease.

As for the G50 seat and Manx tank.... Beach you don't change you old dog. :)

Keep having fun

Teazer,

It's turning out as I'd envisaged ......... ALL the '60's stereotype styling cues - even the Blower [ vs Turbo ] is of the day !! I had 3 Shorrock blown Triumphs in the 60's, one an outfit, one "Sprint" bike and one in a Tribsa road bike.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now with colours. Actually you've nailed it with the silver - maybe with traditional "Norton" tank striping in Red. BTW - when I was a mere youff of 16 I was poking my nose in at the Bracebridge Street race shop and watched in awe as an old boy striped up some Manx tanks.

COLOURS ................opinions ?

Still some way off - but I have the 60's trad paint vs some modern / race inspired scheme? As I've come this far with keeping the 60's Cafe Racer ethos, guess I have to go all the way now ? Boring to you young [ under 50 ] upstarts - but ...............

DEFINITELY blower now - all "I"s dotted and "T"s crossed as to POC.

I scored an 1 3/4" SU yesterday so I have the option when it comes to "how big", as I already have a 2" on the shelf.

That does mean I will be clearing the shelves of ALL my turbos [ CT20, Garrett and 2 x IHIs ] and parts. All except the CT20 are suitable for m/cycle use [ blow through ]. Also selling a superb M45 [ Mercedes ] Eaton - absolutely NO play in bearings and coupler. It's actually the best condition blower I've had to date.

It may not be what you are looking for but I have loved this since I layed eyes on it... might go well with your red frame too

Attachments

• damm_09.jpg
    damm_09.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 442
1fasgsxr said:
It may not be what you are looking for but I have loved this since I layed eyes on it... might go well with your red frame too

FUNNILY ENOUGH .................. I was kicking around the idea of a curling Union Flag ribbon, pretty much where the curves are on that paint job ! You know - like the "Patriots" helmet flash.

I want to take the bike to the " Glemseck" meet in Germany [ hence the name ]. Of course, I have the half fairing to paint as well.

Anyway thanx for your input

Union Jack on top is rather Italian Job minis but can be made to look good and it adds some color and makes a point. Brexit - there's not exit. England still rules the waves sort of statement. Not subtle but the paint should be as outrageous as the bike. :)

Looking very 'period' Beach, coming together nicely.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head with a mainly silver scheme, or a vintage race rep style paint job.

Green199 said:
Looking very 'period' Beach, coming together nicely.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head with a mainly silver scheme, or a vintage race rep style paint job.

Why thank you kindly .... I saw an old colour pic of a Triton yesterday. "Proper" SIlver with Red and Black traditional pinstriping - very tempting.

So when you're looking to get an intake plenum made up and getting quotes for items that must be gold plated ......... hmmmm - bread baking tin - right size and just needs a plate welded on to seal. All the various intake bellmouths, take offs, manifold connections can be welded in prior to being sealed ...... cost £5.00 !!!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 172
beachcomber said:
So when you're looking to get an intake plenum made up and getting quotes for items that must be gold plated ......... hmmmm - bread baking tin - right size and just needs a plate welded on to seal. All the various intake bellmouths, take offs, manifold connections can be welded in prior to being sealed ...... cost £5.00 !!!

"much ingenuity with a little money is more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity" - Arnold Bennett

given the thin-ness and general tinniness of those sorts of baking accessories, i'd be going for soldering or at most brazing, any sort of proper welding will distort the metal or just blow holes in it. brazing using a tiny weeny flame should be controllable
another option might be to check out proper industrial strength baking tins, check out catering suppliers or similar, they are a lot heavier construction and designed to take far more brutal treatment from ham fisted speed freaks (oops I mean bakers)

spotty said:
given the thin-ness and general tinniness of those sorts of baking accessories, i'd be going for soldering or at most brazing, any sort of proper welding will distort the metal or just blow holes in it. brazing using a tiny weeny flame should be controllable
another option might be to check out proper industrial strength baking tins, check out catering suppliers or similar, they are a lot heavier construction and designed to take far more brutal treatment from ham fisted speed freaks (oops I mean bakers)

Exactly so Grasshopper .................... I have a guy [ 80 yrs old !! ] all lined up to braze the thing up. That said - the baking tin is HD [ ?? ] and I also have a "terrine mould" which is in stainless ...... we'll see, but thanx for the reminder !

Attachments

• plenum.jpg
    plenum.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 595
  • terrine mould plenum.jpg
    terrine mould plenum.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 607
The stainless terrine mould is the bollox. ! ;) Baking tin would braze up OK - but it's Teflon coated - not sure about that.

SO, while I'm here ...... where do Board Tracker builds go on this forum ? Actually - I guess this Glemseck thread should be over in Cafe Racers now ?????

Yes, as I'm feeling well enough to get excited about projects again ...... best have another one ! Dropped the hammer on the 125 Virago powered Board Tracker idea in a Motobecane or similar chassis. I got a complete running Virago for £650. Already had offers of £150 for the spoked wheels ! I reckon in true Beachcomber fashion - the sale of the unwanted bits will pay for the bike - and maybe a little over. The bike has a V5 [ title ] which will make it simples when it comes to registration. I also scored an XLS 125 spoked 21" front wheel for £30.

Brian's off for Christmas, but as soon as he gets back we'll be measuring up for the wheel spacers / sleeves and then it's making patterns for the under frame fuel cell, and mounting brackets for the "tank", seat and fairing. Also scored a beautiful oil catch tank [ Chinabay ] for £19 !. 8)

Attachments

• s-l500 (3).jpg
    s-l500 (3).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 446
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 179
New Year - new start

First day in the garage and we have finally [ !! ] fitted up the front forks – oil in and actually got the caps on without cross threading them ! What a fargin stupid design !! The wheel has been centralised ready to be measured for the new spindle / spacers, then that’ll be the front end buttoned up. STILL need a fork brace ? The one I bought was very nice – but not for my bike ! Still waiting for the refund. I think I might go all classic with the steering dampener – like the old fashioned Brit bikes – I even have a Manx Norton adjuster wing nut ! More work on positioning the blower / drive / manifolding / plenum etc. The good news is that everything has dropped neatly into place. We’re also mocked up the under frame tank, breather can, etc. Rear sprocket now fitted so we can get a base alignment for the rear wheel.

And finally, I removed the “new” [ 4 years ago ] gel battery from under the seat – and guess what – it’s charged up AND holding 12.75 amps after 5 days.

Oh yes - the bastard gazzumped me on the Virago having accepted my offer :mad: :mad:. back to the KZ powered Boardtracker then.

Then we found out that a fuel cell under the frame is a non starter according to the regs, even though it would have had more protection than a tank in the stock position. ::) So it's back to the original plan when I was going to use the Weber carb'd engine - in the frame diamond behind the engine. Abandoned the idea when I was using the turbo - as that's where the turbo was going ! Switch to the blower and things were still mighty tight, but then I found the smaller cased Eaton - and bingo that area is now completely clear. Looks like the same sort of capacity 3 galls [ imp ], maybe more. We'll do the Blue Peter cardboard mock up next week.

My tame machine shop guy is still working [ keeps threatening to retire - inconsiderate bastard ! ::)] and is quite happy to continue making my P.I.T.A. parts. First job is the front wheel spindle and rear wheel spacers so I can get the rolling chassis .....er - rolling. ;) I'll also discuss with him making the blower drive. While I'm at it I'll get him to make up the 40mm front wheel spacers for my Volvo 940 wagon project - did I say I was cutting down due to health issues ?? Guess you're a long time dead.

Attachments

• volvo 940 014.jpg
    volvo 940 014.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 168
  • volvo 940 011.jpg
    volvo 940 011.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 165
  • kz 3rd jan 2018 025.jpg
    kz 3rd jan 2018 025.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 161
  • kz 3rd jan 2018 015.jpg
    kz 3rd jan 2018 015.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 174
  • kz 3rd jan 2018 014.jpg
    kz 3rd jan 2018 014.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 173
Looking good TJ and it's funny to note what kind of car you drive... (Even though I assume that you're the cool kid in town and enjoy it with one of the nice petrol fourbangers in it - mine's a turbodiesel, which makes it a bit bland, but the perfect towing rig)

I have (by now) received my Eaton M24 (out of a 1.4L VW) for the TR1. Nifty bit of kit. Should you run out of space, it's like a 2/3s copy of your M45, but with a 1.93:1 step up box, so it actually moves about the same amount of air. And it's max. RPM is 17.000. Would make a nice alternative or step stone between AMR500s and Eaton M45s.

Thanx for the headsup on the VW blower - I AM on the lookout for one.

I've had all the cool cars, Cobra, Porsche, Jag [ both real and replica ] - but ALWAYS ran a sensible estate as my every day "works" car ! Usually Citroens - CX, XM, then the crappy C5 - before settling on Volvo.

A very small selection of cars I've owned ........................

Attachments

• cars 100.jpg
    cars 100.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 375
  • img220.jpg
    img220.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 172
  • cars 070.jpg
    cars 070.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 164
  • img436.jpg
    img436.jpg