XS650 Adventure Brat : Sticket India

PHeller

Coast to Coast
I thought of the name late one night. My girlfriend thought it was gross.

I've wanted an XS650 for a long time. Almost since I got into motorcycles. I've had a CB360, CB400F, and XT225. Not a substantial lineup, but enough to understand the pros and cons to each. I don't plan to sell this bike, because it should suit all of my wants/desires for a long time. I can go any direction I want with it, and no other vintage Japanese bike interests me more. I'm broke, and these bikes are cheap.

I found this one down the street for $500. A little more than I wanted to spend, but it ran and rode, which was enough for me.

First up: Restoration

The bike came with a Vetter fairing and quite a few missing pieces. I wanted to go over it thoroughly before riding. Check timing, timing chain, valve adjustment, carbs, wiring etc.

DSC_0328.jpg

After fairing removal, back to stock wiring, new fuel lines and filters.
DSC_0623800x532.jpg

DSC_0618800x532.jpg

I don't plan on removing the engine until I get some miles on the bike. I want to pick up a donor engine to rebuild the top end, so it'll look messy for awhile.

I do however want to address the seating issue, and all the lights will be replaced with smaller units.

It's hard to stay on a roll when you've got no cash flow.

Picking up an engine this week that's already been rebuilt, so hopefully that'll add some security to my build.

The fairing was pretty busted up in the mounting areas, so it rattled like crazy.

Aside from handlebars my income has limited to any updates...and a bad alternator rotor has kept me from riding.

Good thing is I picked up a spare motor for when the time comes, 140psi compression cold, 160 wet, very clean! I got it for free after selling the carbs that were on it, and its got a good alternator rotor!

100_0470.jpg

Just got a low-man-on-totem-pole job with the county, but its a county job, so that means a nice steady 37.5 hours a week, full benefits, and most importantly...

Money for the project!

Good alternator rotor installed, charging at 12 volts at 1000rpm.

Got a new seat coming, then its gauges.

Quick little run around the neighborhood...a little sideways in the gravel parking lots in industrial land, and a quick run to 75mph say the engines is in decent shape.

Brakes are way out though! Front barely slows me down, and the rear I've gotta stand on in order to slow.

A single front brake line may come before anything else. I'll try bleeding first.

I have so much fun making concept drawings in photoshop that all get all excited to show someone else.

Here is what I am thinking:

Stock suspension for this year, trim the seat down to fit within the frame hoop, and shorten the rear fender with a smaller light.

Up front, a 4.5" bates, small gauges, small signals.

XS650Concept1.jpg

This one isn't a photoshop hack job, just made a little artsy.

Attachments

• ConceptHeadlight.jpg
    ConceptHeadlight.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 354
Got the wiring harness functional finally. I'll go back through and make it pretty after the bike is on the road for a bit.

All I need is a brake line (one coming) and registration and she'll be ready to ride.

Then its time for tires!

DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0087.JPG
    794.4 KB · Views: 342
Back
Top Bottom