BUILD OFF!!!! LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A WINNER!

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
So, was just talking with good ol Swapmeet Louie, and he brought up the idea of re-hashing our build off from last winter. For those who dont remember it, Louie and I were going to build small disp. two-stroke cafe bikes in a certain time frame and let you good folks pick a "winner". There was no real prize other than bragging rights, and a trophy that some folks here were talking about fabbing up. Anyhow, life got in the way, and Louie split for a while. I passed the little Suzuki off to another member who was better suited to give her the life she deserved, and the idea fizzled.
Well, now Louie's back for good, and we both are very close to really getting into our respective brat (Louie, xs400) and chopper (me, cb350) builds, so when he mentioned firing up the old build off idea, it sounded good to me.
Soooo... Here we go...

From the West, Swapmeet Louie and his XS400, the "El' Piscado Loco "

00-1.jpg

And from the East, VonYinzer and his cb350, "Horror Business":

bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMTEyNzIwMTAxNjU1MDcuanBn.jpg

Re: BUILD OFF!!!! Going to try this again!

We decided on a first day of spring deadline (March 20th) so we can really put some quality work into the bikes.

Feel free to comment, offer suggestions, and be ignored wholehartedly. ;)

Im kidding of course. This should be fun, and hopefully you guys dig it. You can follow along with the builds here:

Louie: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20735.0

VonYinzer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17763.0 (skip to page 25 or so...)

And we'll both update this page with progress pics as well.

Thanks for stoppin' by folks!

von wins!

did you see that frame? :D :D ;D ;D

Cool idea. I'm looking forward to the updates.

lou you know i love a brat, but with craftsman ship that went into that frame, it alone will shine on this build... stoked to watch the progress!

the KZ200 my brother and i have going now is going to be set up for dirt and road, knobbies and all... if we are able to sneak out for the meet up this year, he is goin got pull that and my cb350 behind his goldwing! ha ha ha

JRK5892 said:
the KZ200 my brother and i have going now is going to be set up for dirt and road, knobbies and all... if we are able to sneak out for the meet up this year, he is goin got pull that and my cb350 behind his goldwing! ha ha ha

Nice!

Thanks Indie. And David, if I win because of the frame alone, than technically Kiley gets the crown. That was actually a concern of mine with this. Having not built the frame myself I was worried about using this bike for the contest. Seemed somewhat unfair. That said, I wll have to do a good deal of work on the frame to make it work. There are no tabs, or mounts for anything, as Kiley had no idea what tank, wheels, seat, etc. I would be using. So in the end, yes Kiley built the frame and Troy is helping to fix the fitment issue, I will be doing a great deal of work to make it a proper bike. Ill also be fabbing/modifying a great deal to finish this bike. Hopefully we can look past the initial frame build (but please dont forget the amazing work Kiley did) and focus on all the other work that will go into it. We all know that Louie is a hell of a builder and comes up with some crazy and original stuff for his scoots. I just hope I can keep up with him!

Joe and Louie, Ill be running some dual sport rubber on the chop I think, so if theres a dirt oval available, Ill weld up a nice steel toe plate, set up some wheels with no brakes, paint an old Honda logo on a wool sweater and go at it! hahaha

frame alone does not make a bike... would not go very far... it is a piece... i have a feeling that lou did not build that frame either :) i think it is fine. will be awesome watching both of these come together! besides you cut your frame in 1/2 basicly already!

Didnt have the energy today to get too involved. but I did make some coil covers. Not sure if I lm dig'n'em. but they were kinda fun to make.
IMG_20101212_161901.jpg

I feel like since we dropped the ball on this the 1st time, I need to post to keep the ball rolling... haha

So, I dont have any pics. But I got the seat pan pattern made tonight. Gotta go get some metal and seat foam in the next day or 2. Im stoked though. Because I found some Nice vinyl I have left over from a project a couple yrs back. I intend to build this bike with nothing too fancy. And use up a lot of left overs from the past few yrs.

Re: BUILD OFF!!!! A THIRD ENTRY HAS SURFACED!!!!

So, another poor schmuck has added his bike to the fray!

Our man Justin and the badass 360. ("Maybe Baby" perhaps...)

11-3.jpg

So its a good old chopper/brat build off everyone! Should be fun!!!!

Re: BUILD OFF!!!! A THIRD ENTRY HAS SURFACED!!!!

I think you should set up brackets do this up as challenge matches and the winners move on. sort of a "pinks all out" build off series.

Back
Top Bottom