Ever get the itch for a "modern" bike?

I got myself a V7 Racer last year one of my frequent visitors at my place is a Guzzi dealer in New Jersey and he got me # 11 for a great price, i kept it here in Miami and love to ride the Bike around town its so agile and lightweight compared to my Brit Bikes or the Harley i love to ride her specially if i know i can hit traffic somewhere .

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 664
I know my GS500 isn't an extravagant bike, but the 55-60 mpg it gets taking me to work everyday makes it just fine with me.

Plus, I can always ride the 400f when the mood strikes.

df2720c8.jpg

I'm REALLY digging the Versys. Second up is the V-Strom. Both in 650 guise.....don't need/want 1,000cc's.

I would possibly consider the ER6-n and the SV650 (but not the S model...no clip ons for me, thanks), but those are the naked bike/street-fighter versions of the aforementioned bikes. I like that the Versys and V-Strom are more upright and tuned for mid/low range power. Good weight, good MPG and both are twins

biker_reject said:
Wow, Kasi, that is sweet!!!

Thanks !
I think i get her a Fairing in the near future like that one here the factory kit is very $$$ but Luigi Stucchi makes one to looks more or less the same and is way Cheaper .

Attachments

• motoguzzi_endurance racer_v7.jpg
    motoguzzi_endurance racer_v7.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 816
Now we talking ;)

Attachments

• mgd.jpg
    mgd.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 695
  • mgd.jpg
    mgd.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 809
Duc's and Guzzi's are cool, but...

JustinLonghorn said:
I know my GS500 isn't an extravagant bike, but the 55-60 mpg it gets taking me to work everyday makes it just fine with me.

Plus, I can always ride the 400f when the mood strikes.

df2720c8.jpg

..... THAT'S more in my "snack bracket"! :D Great choices! 8) 8)

You can't go wrong with the Versys or V-Strom, both have plenty of power and also you can get hard luggage for them, which makes them great for long trips. My son has an SV-650 and the engine is great and I think the V-Strom has even more torque.

If you're looking for a budget traveling/touring bike that you can use every day, I have a Kawi ZR-7s that fits the bill. It's a 750 4 cylinder air cooled, with tons of torque and very nimble handling. They also had a factory option hard luggage made by Givi for Kawi. You can pick one up for 2-2.5 G's. Make sure you get an "s" it has the 1/2 fairing. The only mod you have to make is for long trips is put more/different padding in the seat. I sold my Kawi Concours and got one, it's much handier for everyday and still great for long trips.

Here's a picture of mine without the hard luggage on it.

Joycespictures03262012054.jpg

I never thought I'd get the itch for a modern bike. My faithful old KZ1000 has given me many memorable miles and taught me a lot. It cost me a lot of time and money (on top of the purchase price of the bike) to get the bike safe and reliable. A lot of garage time, spent wrenching when I would have rather been riding. Would I take it all back? Hell no. I love that bike, and will probably never sell it. I always detested modern sport bikes. I can't get used to the idea of being in a race riding stance on a street driven bike. I like to sit up. One day, I discovered that you can have most of the power and handling that these sport bikes have to offer, without being enshrouded in plastic, and without being humped over a plastic tank whilst clutching on to clip-on bars. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not for me!) I researched like a mad man, and decided on a Suzuki SV, like so many others have. I didn't want to go from a 1000cc four cylinder bike to a 650 twin, so this was the only logical solution:

DSC00493.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV1000

I love this bike. Whoever says that modern bikes cannot have a soul, has never heard a V-twin sport bike with gear-driven cams and a set of nice aftermarket cans. They most certainly have never driven one.

madmatt1 said:
One day, I discovered that you can have most of the power and handling that these sport bikes have to offer, without being enshrouded in plastic, and without being humped over a plastic tank whilst clutching on to clip-on bars.

Same for me when I built my ZX9R streetfighter ;)

V strom hands down....but they are a bit $$$ I can not belive that no one has brought up the Suzuki bandit.... my 600 bandit will TOAST a SV650... i wanted something that i could still have the sport bike feel to it and tour if i needed... this is my daily rider... it is a GSF600s bandit... i use it daily rain, shine or snow... put the huge cases on it to move parts to and from the shop as well... ill be moving to a V strom to do more off trail riding in the winter... the entire bandit line is awesome!!! 600 - 1200 they are all great bikes... i took this bike in stock as a trade in on antoher bike we built... and fell in love

526287_10150858021918073_2087320559_n.jpg

149423_10150780230463073_1589657056_n.jpg

madmatt1 said:
I never thought I'd get the itch for a modern bike. My faithful old KZ1000 has given me many memorable miles and taught me a lot. It cost me a lot of time and money (on top of the purchase price of the bike) to get the bike safe and reliable. A lot of garage time, spent wrenching when I would have rather been riding. Would I take it all back? Hell no. I love that bike, and will probably never sell it. I always detested modern sport bikes. I can't get used to the idea of being in a race riding stance on a street driven bike. I like to sit up. One day, I discovered that you can have most of the power and handling that these sport bikes have to offer, without being enshrouded in plastic, and without being humped over a plastic tank whilst clutching on to clip-on bars. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not for me!) I researched like a mad man, and decided on a Suzuki SV, like so many others have. I didn't want to go from a 1000cc four cylinder bike to a 650 twin, so this was the only logical solution:

DSC00493.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV1000

I love this bike. Whoever says that modern bikes cannot have a soul, has never heard a V-twin sport bike with gear-driven cams and a set of nice aftermarket cans. They most certainly have never driven one.

So, what kind of bicycle do you ride? Do you hold road bikes in the same contempt as modern sportbikes because of their athletic riding position? How do you feel about full suspension mountain bikes used on the road? Clearly, rigids are all that's required for street riding, right? Perhaps you're somehow intimidated by uncompromising machines. :-D

I think you missed this sentence-
(Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not for me!)
That's really all there is to it. Intimidated? I guess if that's how you wish to describe the fact that I don't like having
numb extremities after a few miles of riding, then go ahead. I'm just describing what I like, my freedom of choice.
No need to get testy!

I absolutely love my K75, but I also loved cruising around on my Helix (below, which I sold to get the K75)

576e7605.jpg

hahah. It was ugly as heck but super comfy and pretty quick for a scooter

Anyways, yes it is nice to have the K75, but as soon as we get the house built I can't wait to get an old junker and start wrenching on it.

Bought the wife a 06 650R Ninja. FANTASTIC BIKE!!!! Smooth, easy to ride PLENTY FAST and nimble. I would consider one if they were about the height and length of my CB

actually i have been thinking about getting myself a new bike but then i will opt to keep my old one as this is very sentimental for me. i know that having a new bike really has its perks aside from the fact that it is easier to maintain modern bikes compared to older models. i will still have to be able to save up for it though so it is still something that i am not quite decided yet.

Intimidated, yes. Why else would you use strong language like "detest" or descriptive phrases such as "enshrouded in plastic" and "humped over a plastic tank"? Then you try to minimize the slurs by saying "not that there's anything wrong with that..." C'mon homie. You funny! :-D

To reply to a few replies.....hehe.....

I've always liked the Bandit series. My girl has longed for a "baby Bandit" (the 400) for a while now. They're a posibility, but they're four cylinders. I think I wanna stick with two for now.

The SV series is a definite possibility, especially the early round headlight models. I don't need a 1,000cc. They have a tad sportier riding position and are tuned for higher RPM, so I'd prefer the V-Strom instead, even though the styling isn't quite as sexy.

The Ninja is the sport bike, the ER-6n is the "standard" or street fighter version and the Versys is the ...um...what WOULD you call it? Anyway, same architecture. The Versys is, again, tuned for more TQ and has a better riding position for what I'm considering.

(Before you call me soft, I still have a CB500 with 400F bars and pegs and am building a 'Cafe/Rat/Street Fighter' out of left over parts. It'll have Clubmans, etc. If you read the first post, this is about looking for something:
A) Standard
B) luggage or luggage options
C) Some sort of wind protection
D) Preferably a twin
E) A few years old.....less than ten, maybe? Except for the first gen SV's...they get a pass. ;)

Biker reject- Dammit, you're right, I did say that I always detested them. You win. However, I would like to add that over time, I have come out of my 1970's shell and learned to appreciate all bikes, regardless of year or riding stance.
This SV was a big step for me, it's much sportier than what I'm used to. But I love it. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm just not ready for the full-on "crotch rocket" yet. I can't get used to the idea of driving something that uncomfortable as my daily driver......BUT, maybe when my testicles fully develop, I'll get an S model, or a TLR. ;)

Back
Top Bottom