72 Honda CB450 "lucky 13"

may also want to look at bare knuckle chops... my buddies over there build some of the most wicked girders... you also want to look at the width of the whole front end, the wider it is the more stable it is but also the harder it is to get around.

I love all the info already......Keep it coming...this is my inspiration, older Triumph. The way I am imagining this thing is in a vintage way not futuristic looking as much.

Wow, I just started lurking this site not too long ago. I just spent the last 2 hours reading your entire build and I am completely blown away by your work. That 450 is a beauty.

Look up Britten. The super bikes that they built had carbon fiber girder front ends. Girders have been used to success in many sporting applications.

alpinaclone said:
Look up Britten. The super bikes that they built had carbon fiber girder front ends.

now there's a guy ahead of his time if ever there was. If you can find the doco somewhere, it's well worth a view.

I had the day off and the temperature has been around 1 degree so not being too motivated to do much........ but....I did get to go to the hardware store and pick up a few bolts and nuts to fill the holes on the air cleaner covers. I have been paying a lot of attention to my "cage" (as most call it around here) and the bike has been lacking some love lately. My original plan was to start the girder by now but I think it would be wise to complete some smaller items on my check list so the bike is more complete this spring. After all spring is right around the corner :eek: . I can ride the bike around and work on the girder as a side project this spring/summer. I also called my buddy today and he is going to make the remaining decals that I want for the air cleaner covers and tank.

It's all in the details at this point in the build.
Before:

After:

Those black washers I posted are rubber. Pretty slick stuff for painted items. ;)

Last week I started to work on the seat. I tried the suede seat and it looked good indoors but on a sunny day it looked more brown and kinda funky looking so I went to the fabric store and picked up some supplies to redo the seat. I want to do a diamond pattern on the top and since I never paid much attention to home economics in middle school I summoned my mom! She has a sewing machine practically older then the bike.....I also picked up a needle for leather, Vinyl and high strength thread. I got 3,472 yards of Vinyl just in case of errors 8)

This is what I came up with for my side covers (before I decided to ditch them)

I used a piece of vinyl tubing as the "rubber bushing" to fill the space between the bolt and the big hole in the cover. Then I found those washers that are metal on one side and rubber on the other. All obtained from the home depot. That stuff screwed into the stock posts (those standoffs that screwed into the battery box).

Excited about the seat. I was never sold on the suede, and I love love love diamond quilted leather/vinyl...can't wait!

Valvesprung: your not gonna be happy.....I decided to do the seat over with out the diamond pattern. Actually I didn't decide, I screwed up. Here is the story........

A month ago I asked mom to help out with my seat (as stated in above post). After multiple errors with the machine we made no progress. I walked away from it and thought I would figure out how to fix the machine. Turns out it sat for many years and almost all the metal on metal parts are rusty from being in a damp basement. Sooooo as much as I would love to do everything myself once again I had to send the seat back to the original maker and he recovered it for me with the provided material. I think he does a great job and I couldn't be happier. And to finish this up I had a brain fart when I dropped the seat off and forgot to mention the diamond pattern :eek: . Maybe next time.

the final seat:

LOL...well diamonds would have been cool, but it still looks great man, and I think it'll compliment the bike much better.

ok ok makes me feel a little better, lol.

Last October when I put the bike away the left cylinder was not firing after start up for a few minutes. It stalled a few times and ran like shit so I took her out of storage and we brought it over to the shop to find out whats going on. I think the plan is they are going to start with the carbs and make sure those are clean and to spec. The other thing that may be going on is the mufflers are not very restrictive and the air filters are open element so the whole setup may not be in sync......if that makes sense. Either way it's in an experts hands and far from mine so things should turn out good. ;)

Anyone as sick of snow as I am?

we had to pull over a few times because the straps and pot holes just don't agree

Few.....at the shop. A sharp eye will notice the CB450 race bike up in the top right. Ill have to get some pics next visit of that bike.

Stopped by and put the seat on for a few minutes. My brother picked the material out and it's a dead match with the motor flat black. It's tough to see in this pic but im sure there will be more photos to come.

as promised here is that cool track bike.

went through every page of your build! I think your bike is probably my favorite i've seen thus far, you were really thorough in all of your build. Definitely been an inspiration to take the time on my build to get it right. Kudos man I am going to take a few elements from your bike.

Back
Top Bottom