The Bol' Dor hack

Basement rat

Over 1,000 Posts
I've got some redwing hammer head shocks I've had for the longest time. I might be trading them for an old rig a guy built for dirt bikes years ago. I'll post pictures of ny idea later today!

Re: Going to look at a hack today.

DSC_0040.jpg

With this hood for the chair:

76sp250_smi.jpg

Its period correct and race inspired like the bike.

I think it will be a cool fit, I've never seen one done like this before. Is there a good reason for that?

Garage Rat said:
DSC_0040.jpg

With this hood for the chair:

76sp250_smi.jpg

Its period correct and race inspired like the bike.

I think it will be a cool fit, I've never seen one done like this before. Is there a good reason for that?

That would be awesome ........... I've seen all sorts including a 4 man bob body, coffin, and even a kayak body - but this would be a first. DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to him, the cars he has are too old for my style and would need enough work to make a scratch build worth wile.

When he made his, he essentially cut the back of a BSA with the suspention, made a floor with steel tubeing and expanded metal with mounts to the motorcycle.

I have a 1980 cb750k without a title and several other bits I can use the swinger and parts of the frame to make my own. I have a link on avdreider with plans and etc but he told me "the bike should lean about 5 degrees to the left, wheel should be toed in 1/2 inch and about 6" leading the bikes rear wheel and three to four mounting points with one as close to the neck as possible".

I have steel, an otherwise unstreetable bike, welder, shop and tools. Kinda short on cash (saving up 150 for brakes for a project truck) because life's expences are getting in the way.

I feel re inspiered about my project now more than ever.

I'll try to upload a plan/ idea once I have one on paper.

I've been thinking for the past night and day. My idea before I found it here is this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803485&page=2

6oos41.jpg

Actually, I was thinking about having the swing arm backwards to help make clearance for the hood by having the suspention at the pivot of the swing arm like it would be on a mono shock set up.

Are there any forseeable problems with a backwards facing swing arm?

Garage Rat said:
I've been thinking for the past night and day. My idea before I found it here is this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803485&page=2

6oos41.jpg

Actually, I was thinking about having the swing arm backwards to help make clearance for the hood by having the suspention at the pivot of the swing arm like it would be on a mono shock set up.

Are there any forseeable problems with a backwards facing swing arm?

Depends what the outfit is for. On the road you want as little vertical movement [ actually an arc ] on the chair wheel as possible. At the very least you'd need to reduce the length of the swing arm - maybe even also reducing the wheel dia to assist that. Most roadgoing outfits use a very short "swing arm" / lever in order to reduce that movement. Imagine you have the sidecar wheel apeing the movement of the rear wheel but 12" or so further forward - "motion sickness" is one term that comes to mind!

Using the blank sheet of paper approach - I was considering an "A" arm [ auto style ], which would allow the wheel camber to be better controlled. Also the static toe / camber could easilly be adjusted without need to resort to adjustment on the diagonal / bike chair attachments - always a PITA. A little enginuity could also see wheel lead adjustment incorporated.

Should've looked at the link first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no way you'd get my leg swung over that outfit given the positioning of the diagonals !!! ::)

Again, If you can think of it, its likely already out there:

DSCF1105.jpg

I can buy all the parts kinda cheep.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/category/1100-310-005-005-000/Axles

Garage Rat said:
I was even thinking about this:

8278012.jpg

A lot of modern commercial chairs / caravans use these / similar units. Readily available in the UK as "DIY Trailer" kits - and ideal for chairs !

They are completely self contained and usually have option of brake / damper. Here in the UK they also come in a variety of pre-set weight ranges.

If I fit a chair to the K100, I'll definitely make a chassis up using something like that - with probably a Velorex body.

The beauty of these is the compactness - they can normally be simply bolted on [ and thus adjusted ] very simply.

The smallest they have is 2,000lb. It should be fine considering the bike is about 500#+ and I'm 220# added up plus G's in a spirited corner and weight in car if any.

I'm exploring the construction of a basic 2x2 aluminum frame with smaller detachable subframe for the body.

How big should my tie rods be for attaching the bike to car? I'll have three to four

Garage Rat said:
The smallest they have is 2,000lb. It should be fine considering the bike is about 500#+ and I'm 220# added up plus G's in a spirited corner and weight in car if any.

I'm exporing the construction of a basic 2x2 aluminum frame with smaller detachable subframe for the body.

How big should my tie rods be for attaching the bike to car? I'll have three to four

I'd use something like 25mm - 30mm x 1.5mm wall tube [ seamless].

I've decided to use Rose / Heim joints for attachment / adjustment if I chair the Boardtracker, but if I do the Beemer, it will be a permanent attachment via a lower cradle [ see pic ] and bolt on to the top chassis mounts with ALL the adjustment at the wheel.

In over 100 years of sidecars there hasn't been much original thought given to an integral sidecar outfit [ roadgoing that is ] - mostly down to a bike with a chair attached.

761342757_NXiAT-L_zpsc5474a8e.jpg

Checked those units out today - £50 as per pic and £80 with drum brake. Available in a variety of payloads from 200 lbs up.

trailer-suspension-units-with-pressed-hub-350kg-7cwt_zps0d00412a.jpg

Not much of an update, but I think I'm going to make a wood frame prototype this or next week to play with and use a leaf spring. The tortion bars around here are too heavy (rated to 2000 lbs). When its together I want some constructive engineering criticism.

I did find a modifyed hood from a sled pictured above for about $150... It seems only one guy in Alberta has this stuff and I know him already...

Its a start:

DSC_0200.jpg

I'm going to use the leaf spring from the ski, not the whole thing!

Hmmmmm

Haha, I've been so buisy with everyhing else, I forgot about making the wood mock up frame!

I'm going to buy some 2x2's tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom