Emgo Slash-Cut Mufflers and Cycle Standard 3-Piece Mounting Clamps

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
Used these on my GL1000 build. Mufflers look great, and the clamps were perfect for mounting the mufflers. I just had to cut ~ 1" of the end of the chrome bar that came with the mufflers and drill holes for the bolts that go through the clamps. I used fiberglass cloth tripled over and doped it with copper high temp RTV for the gasket between the header end and the muffler. The muffler clamp that was used on the original GL1000 muffler worked well to squeeze the muffler inlet down.

Fired it up today and not only does it look good, it sounds good too! I am a bit concerned that the mufflers began spitting flakes of chrome out after the bike had been running for about five minutes. Is this normal? Is it just the steel expanding and shedding some (poorly adhered) internal plating? There are shinny flakes all over the concrete, now.

Attachments

• 6tag_190518-182854.jpg
    6tag_190518-182854.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 321
Is it chrome or zinc coating? I wonder if it's coming from the baffles. Some baffles are chrome, some zinc coated, some stainless.

irk miller said:
Is it chrome or zinc coating? I wonder if it's coming from the baffles. Some baffles are chrome, some zinc coated, some stainless.
Shinny like chrome. Don't see any copper that I would expect on chrome, though. May be from baffles. Has to be from inside, cause no places exposed on outside. Had me real worried when I first saw it. Was afraid I was melting a piston. Picked up a flake and it was too stiff to be aluminum. Flakes are tiny - largest about a mm, but caught in the afternoon sun looked like confetti blowing out of her butt.

Just pulled the baffles and wrapped the thin fiberglass layer with a layer of steel wool. Noticed the flakes are all coming from the baffles. Still looks like chrome, but could be zinc. Whatever is is, it is ALL coming off quick!

They probably have a stock of baffles that are zinc coated and then install them in the muffler before chrome dipping the whole lot. Probably just the cheapest way to make them. Assemble then finish.

Wire wool should not be used in an exhaust. When oily, it burns ridiculously well.

Just replace the fiberglass with a new if there isn't enough.

teazer said:
Wire wool should not be used in an exhaust. When oily, it burns ridiculously well.

Just replace the fiberglass with a new if there isn't enough.
Thought it required an oxygen-rich atmosphere, which the exhaust shouldn't be, but anyway I stopped at a hardware store on the way home from work and now they are wrapped with plumbing fiberglass wrap.

I finally got the baffles to a point that I don't expect to get a ticket for loud exhaust. Had to both add fiberglass pipe insulation replacing the already burnt-out originally in them and add ~ 1" washer on three standoffs after them.

The three piece clamps are working perfectly so far.

Attachments

• Baffle1.jpg
    Baffle1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 311
Well, she didn't like them, it appears. She blew one out on the driveway when I reved her to show the oldest daughter, and the other was only on by one rivet. So, I pulled the washers and standoffs, and repacked AGAIN as there was about 10% of the fiberglass left. I wonder if fiberglass mat would hold up better?

On the positive side, the chrome still looks great!

Back
Top Bottom