My 74 MGB GT Project Scarlett

jonwright

surfing and motorcycles.... yup
Alright so a few of you know I traded the cb360 I built for this little car. It has been my dream car for years and I can't believe I finally have one. I serriously love this car. Not sure what it is but the lines and the style is just amazing to me. Simple and classy. Anyway I am not crazy about the color and there are a few thing I want to change so its still a project but here is where I started on it and here is where I am at.
IMG_5390.jpg

I wasn't feeling the black grill or those fog lamps so I striped the paint from the grill and pulled the lights
90E73F34-0CEC-47F8-9C1F-C0B923DB95CF-2785-000002E36BF764B4_zpsf26652e6.jpg

I really wanted he look of the earlier cars with out the side marker lights so I pulled those off and am welding up the holes now. Here is one of them before and after
0AB75F01-2445-4A6C-B57F-18E9BA847077-158-000000256BB36FEE.jpg

C3990CFA-1134-42BA-88C6-572D927835F6-158-000000257A7908B9.jpg

5EFCA9F4-F1FF-4D9D-AFBB-A55363C818DB-158-0000002597C5E8EA.jpg

That's where I am at. The car also has a horrible aftermarket sunroof that drives me nuts so this week I am going to pick up a roof from another gt to cut off and have welded in. That's too big a job for me so I found a good body shop that will do it.

Thats a good looking brit! Keep the updates coming and keep taking care of her! I still have those seals for the door windows for you.

Fantastic!!! I owned a BRG '68 MGB for 12 years. It hadn't run in 16 years and I was able to buy it for $1.00. Yes... ONE DOLLAR! It had a cracked cylinder head and a lot of problems from sitting. I found a '73 MGB GT that looked just like yours but had been totaled from a rear end collision. I scavenged the cylinder head, chrome wire wheels, and a bunch of little stuff from this hulk. I made my "B" go and I made it stop - which was a feat considering the natural rubber brake parts. I adjusted the SUs and set the timing so it wouldn't overheat. Drove it all over the west coast to many British car events. This car was a champ. Eventually, when I moved to the mountains where I couldn't store or maintain my "B", I sold it to a friend who always wanted it. Bought a Miata, which is the best British car never made. I've had it now for 10 years. I hope you have the love, excitement, enthusiasm, and enjoyment for your MG that I had for mine. The best advice I have for you is to get into a British car club. You'll have a great support system for no matter what you encounter.

Thanks man! Yeah I for sure do love this mg more than a human being should love a car. The British car club advice is good. This is my third little British car. I had a mini first that was in great shape and I bought a spitfire for 200 bucks that was spray painted yellow ALL OVER it was pretty bad, but I took it all the way down to the shell and re did it inside and out. Before I bought the spitfire I was about to get a BGT but the guy sold it before I could get there. So I am super stoked to finally have one. I was in a British car club in utah and it was a huge help. I will soon be a member of the Kansas City mg club so I am looking forward to getting to know those guys. And I spend a good chunk of time over on the mg forum but truth be told, you guys are way cooler. Lol

Hello! New guy here ..... I share your love for the GT'... I have a 70'. Along with a few bikes of course! I also did the marker light delete, (and side chrome as well).... I'll try to send a few pictures as soon as I can figure it out! These cars are a lot of fun to drive and easy to work on, once you've figured them out a bit!

Awesome dude I'd love to see it try using photobucket, it makes picture upload super easy.

I think I might eventually build an MG-GT for my wife. I think it would look excellent as a real "fastback" though. A roof from an old Porsche 911 maybe? Anyway, an Ecotec 4cyl and and auto, a good A/C, and the upgraded full independent suspension (Hoyle I think?). Leather upgraded interior, power windows, etc.

I need medical help...

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

NICE! I too love the Brit sports cars. I come by it naturally, my Uncle had a Sunbeam Alpine, MG's, and Triumphs when I was a kid. Then for my second car got a Spitfire 1500, I had a line on a GT-6 a while back. Triumphs version of your GT... shoulda, woulda, coulda. :(
Still drool over TR-6s! ;D

let me see if i can upload a picture or two........the dash, I made from copper anodized aluminum.... push button start etc..... not finished yet, of course....but runs fantastic...very reliable with weber carb, & electronic ignition...

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 365
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 361
Back
Top Bottom