Question about progressive 12 series shocks??

jinsonphoto

So I'm currently have a set of 12 series progressive shocks on my cb750. I'm pretty sure they are the recommended stock size so I think they may be 12 inch. . If I wanted to switch to say 14inch could I still use the springs I have now and just buy new 14 inch shocks? I wasn't sure if the springs are the same size & only the actual shock size changes or if both are bigger.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't real find detailed info on this through the progressive website.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you cant go from 12'' stock length to 14 anyway the chain will have way too much slack.,it will rub the swinger hard at the front and you will speed wobble crash :'(
what makes you think you want 2'' longer shocks ,anyway ?

Dang I had no idea it would cause any issues. I honestly wanted to change the stance of the bike. I had seen Devin from cognito do it on his 750. & think I had seen some other bikes with longer shocks as well. However I don't want to do anything that's going to negatively effect handling or safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a few people are running shocks 14"-14.25". I have yet to see them hit a speed wobble and crash and die.

J-Rod10 said:
Quite a few people are running shocks 14"-14.25". I have yet to see them hit a speed wobble and crash and die.
but stock length is more like 13.5 aint it ? jinsonphoto put yer bike on the centerstand and you should be able to measure the static unloaded length and try to focus on making the bike handle and ride better at speed,do some book learning on suspension don't get hung up on "stance" ,what the hell is stance anyway ??..i know what it is it, is a bullshit term some gay builder started using cause it rhymes with dance, .....instead if you just actually improve the bike it will loook better on its own merits

Well I do appreciate your opinion. Currently my cb750 has a stupid 16 inch rear wheel on it. I cant stand the way it makes the bike look. Id bet it also doesn't help with handling as well. Im in the process of rebuilding a 18 inch rear wheel to replace the 16 and hopefully that will fix my "stance" =)

Don't forget the shock length and ride height are two different things, though longer shocks very likely will indeed yield a taller ride height with similar springs set up the same.

I see quite a few comments about all sorts of chassis changes, wheel and tire widths etc, that end up with something like "I did that and didn't have a problem". I do not doubt the sincerity or integrity of these statements. I have on occasion looked at and talked about bikes with their owners who have made alterations that I thought questionable and in the main they have seemed pleased enough with their machines. However after riding around with some of these guys, it seems to me they simply aren't inclined to lean all that hard on their bikes, and as a result the changes they have made don't stand out in any sort of alarming way.

But that does not mean that those modifications have not adversely impacted their bikes. Motorcycle chassis dynamics are considerably more complicated that it would seem from such a simple looking machine. That said, making basic changes like longer shocks (that provide the corresponding taller ride height)(or shorter ones), or lowering the triples on the fork tubes (or raising them) will without question have a predictable affect on the handling. Whether that effect will actually be dangerous may depend on how you ride, and what the bike was like to begin with. Raising the back steepens the rake and reduces trail, making an already inherently unstable assembly even less stable (talking about typical standard geometry here, not a chopper with extended forks obviously, though the science still applies). Take a bike that is generally good handling and well balanced and add 2 inches to the back with no other changes and you will cause a very profound and noticeable change to its manners. Exactly as XB has promoted, and if you are in the habit of pushing the bike to its limits, just as dangerous, or at the least you will realize how much you have compromised your bike. If you stay close to the speed limit and not planning on dragging any hardware in the turns then maybe the trade off is worth it.

As far as the 16" to 18" wheel change goes, raising the back is raising the back. It does not matter whether it is shocks, frame or wheel. However, it is the end tire outside diameter that counts, and your 18" tire may be similar to that fat 16".

And keep this in mind about your bikes "stance" We all care to varying degrees about how our bikes look, but I think it is a safe bet that it is high on most peoples lists. Change how your bike looks with the bodywork, not the suspension height. The suspension has a job to do. Get it sorted out so you like how your bike drives. After that, you can make the bike look any way you want by altering the tank and seat and still have a bike that is good to ride.

Back
Top Bottom