MODULAR HELMETS

Mortikan

Coast to Coast
I am in the market for a new lid and I was thinking I might go the modular route. A few of the guys I ride with have them and the convenience they offer is appealing.
I know there can be noise issues but, during the summer I ride half helmet sometimes with ear plugs so noise should not bother me.

anybody ride with one?

do you like it?

Modular helmets are, like many things, a compromise. They are only as safe as the latching mechanism that holds the chin bar in place. This is why they are not Snell approved. They are noisier and heavier than a full face, but do offer more protection than an open face helmet. I use one almost exclusively as it is easy to flip the front up at a quick gas stop, talking to locals, etc.

I used to - Nolan N100 or something. I liked it fine, but then I had to replace it (age) and I opted for a Shoei RF1000. Love the RF-1000, but last fall I crashed it. Now moving on to the RF-1100.

I don't miss it. If I rode in hot weather, slow traffic etc. I'd probably still have a modular, as it's great to flip the face up while sitting in slow moving traffic. But, I love the weight, quiet and protection of my RF-1000 and the 1100 is even better.

Schuberth is making a very interesting new open face helmet with a protective chin bar. The J1. I haven't seen one in person, but if I did, I'd probably buy it.

Casque_Schuberth_J1_Noir_stpz.jpg

For medical reasons I have to wear a full face helmet so I ride with a Zox Genesis SVS for the pure conveniece. I have presciption glasses and taking them on and off to put on a normal helmet is a pain. Also with the SVS you get a flip down solar visor (like the Schuberth Tim mentioned) so no more messing with sunglasses either. I have my reasons to never wear a normal full face helmet again.

Back
Top Bottom