72 CL350 - Loft Build: Updated!

1984cc

Hey all-

I've started the winter tear down of my CL350 I bought over the summer. Plan is clean up lot of the cosmetics of the mechanics and rebuild the motor. As well as sort out a few bits that bug me. Oh and I'm building this in my loft apt, haha. Trying to keep the place from smelling too much like grease and gas.

I also need some frame color suggestions...The tank/seat are going to stay silver with black striping, wheels staying black, most of the motor will be black with some polished bits and the exhaust will be black or polished.

As she started from the previous owner:
x2_72920c5.jpg

The "Work Area":
IMG_0332.JPG

Tear down:
IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

(parts everrryywhere!)

Now that everything is apart I can start getting some things sorted out. Done so far:
-Cleaned up some unused brackets on the frame before coating
-Started to fab a pan to hide the battery/misc electronics
-Lots of degreasing
-Fixed the seat fitment

Cheers
Jon

Re: 72 CL350 - Loft Build

what's with your seat in the first picture... just the whole seat pan looks way to big and looks raised, but if its the same seat pan in your last picture, then it looks great.... maybe the camera angle

are you going to re-wire the bike or are you going to just mod the original harness?

any upgrades you plan on doing?

That's how it was mounted when I bought from the PO. I'm shortening the seat about an inch and leveling the bottom of the seat with the tank.

Going to build a custom harness with more efficient electronics. Also be upgrading the exhaust, ignition and redoing the seat material.

how bigis ur loft? seems like a fun time just waking up to the smell of gasoline haha

It's what I get up for every morning, haha.

Loft is about 1200 sq ft. The build has its own corner away from most everything.

bananaclip- Haha, right on man.

Few things done today...

-Got the seat properly fitted. Still have to smooth out the notches over the rear shock mounts.
IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

-Also built in some LED turns into my existing tail housing. They show up very bright and distinct from the running/brake light. Sorry no powered pics.
IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

Finally have some updated pics!

Progress:
-The frame and all related parts have been painted
-Forks rebuilt/polished/painted
-Swing arm and new rear shocks on
-Fitted seat with new mounting style

Here's what it looks like now. Nice glossy frame
IMG_0451.JPG

Here's how I mounted the seat. I put rubber foam around the top of the frame and the front of the seat to keep it still and off the metal. Used a flat hood pin to fasten the glass seat to the frame...
IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

The paint on the seat still needs to be cleaned up. It was screwed to the frame by the PO.

Re: 72 CL350 - Loft Build: Updated 12/19

looks nice, im stealing your paint scheme IMO

are you gonna relocate the battery/electronics to the tail?

Re: 72 CL350 - Loft Build: Updated 12/19

Yeah everything will be under the seat and in the tail.

Here's some very updated pics:
IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

Re: 72 CL350 - Loft Build: Updated 1/26

Nice! Have you found it difficult to build it in your loft?

Re: 72 CL350 - Loft Build: Updated 1/26

cervin said:
the gauges turned out well

great job :D

Thanks dude!

WNTITAL said:
Nice! Have you found it difficult to build it in your loft?

Not at all. It was a little of a pain in the ass to get the engine back and forth from my garage downstairs before/after painting. Otherwise it's pretty nice to walk in to the other room and work on it :)

Got the seat back from the upholstery shop last Friday. Super happy with how it turned out:

IMG_0634.jpg

Had to order some new rocker shafts. The old ones were slightly bent some how and I couldn't get the valves adjusted within spec. Then I just have to charge up the battery, adjust the clutch a bit and we should be good.

Awesome job on the seat ! The wrapped pipes really make the bike pop. You'll also like those new coils, I used them on a few bikes with great results. Looking great ! Tuned in for more updates 8)

yea dude looks great! making good progress- I'm almost finished with mine as well, hopefully we'll be able to ride together the weathers turning good!

Love the seat! Can't wait to see pics of it in the daylight. It's been in the upper 70's here is Chicago and it's making me want to rush to get mine done. But what's the old saying, patience is a virtue. Keep the updates coming.

Back
Top Bottom