YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

canyoncarver said:

...and I'm glad I did. I had a great time riding in Alabama with DTT Dirty South crew.

Here she is rolled back into her parking spot after the trip.

My new Airtech race fairings for the build bike are here too. Winter will be fun in the garage at least.
fly_unloaded.jpg

Last edited:
Project notes:

The amount of time I've spent lately thinking about, researching this bike and oogling all the farkle is huge. My winter plans are changing for it somewhat. It'll be difficult to get much going on the original project bike this winter. (the 750 twin needs my attention too) The rider needs a list of things before next summer.

The things I know about: ( in no particular order )

1) Stock plastics repair, new fasteners, etc.. I might order a second SP style solo seat for it. I'll need to hit up somebody for decal repops.
2) Valve adjustments. - A bit tricky and time consuming but it really needs it.
3) Carb cleanup, adjustments, jetting etc. - It has a fueling issue when going WOT from 7k. Not a problem if I roll it on but it tells me something isn't right. FactoryPro makes the best bits for these carbs.
4) Clutch and it's hydraulic line - easy enough and I already have all the parts.
5) Forks could use fresh fluids but at least the seals are not leaking.
6) I figured out the mod for the R1 blue dot calipers, front and rear, might do that too. I still have a new rear rotor to install as well.
Once I get the stock plastics off for the other work, I'll likely start to fit up the race plastics so I don't have to wait until I work on the project bike to figure those out.

When I get the good carbs off the rider, I may as well use them to try and start up the parts bike motor too. I'd still like to know if it's really the low mile runner I hope it is.
More as I think of it. Thanks for watching.

Eddie Lawson was famous for the KZ's he won races on but he also raced Yamahas. Here he is on the Yamaha OWO1, the true race beast predecessor to the YZF750.
23316456_1980209225327865_557546856969470532_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yam did a highly prized V&H FZR600 in the yellow and pink, with a specially commissioned V&H pipe. Very pleasant.

The Limey said:
Yam did a highly prized V&H FZR600 in the yellow and pink, with a specially commissioned V&H pipe. Very pleasant.

Yeah, those were the 80's and 90's. Fashion wasn't their strong suit but hey it's coming back!

The Limey said:

This one? I like it.
1992-Yamaha-FZR600-Vance-Hines-Right-Side.png

Last edited:
clem said:
Man now I'm yearning for a vintage sportbike. I really need an early 90's NSR.

You can now ! Heck there was even an article this month in Cycle World. Those 250's are now allowable for import and re-tag.

canyoncarver said:
You can now ! Heck there was even an article this month in Cycle World. Those 250's are now allowable for import and re-tag.
I had been eyeing up that same company for a couple of years. They go through the bikes prior to sale which is good. Need to finish the Daytona Special first then maybe I can scrap some funds together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
I had been eyeing up that same company for a couple of years. They go through the bikes prior to sale which is good. Need to finish the Daytona Special first then maybe I can scrap some funds together.

Yeah, I haven't seen pics of the Daytona in awhile. Done yet? ;)

Back
Top Bottom