Justin's DT tank.

milehighcj360t

for your health, dummy.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here is a rough start on Justin's tank. All the metal work is finished, been testing different paint to see what sticks best. Scribbled down an outline last night about 40x and kept testing different paints...i think i've cracked the code, now its time to lay down some patient awesome shit.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 312
  • photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 300
  • photo[2].JPG
    photo[2].JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 300
The only concern I would have is oxidation of the raw tank . I think usually guys treat tanks with wd40 or something like that regularly to prevent this but how do you plan to protect the paint from the solvent?. I had thought of doing something like this but ran into this conundrum. I have heard that the raw metal can actually show oxidation under clear coat as well. Just a thought.

this ain't my first rodeo. lol. the metal raw would certainly have some corrosion if left that way--esp. considering the spirals strip it down to a fresh layer. That being said, it also provides the cleanest look to the tank. I've found that some 2k paint does the trick, adheres pretty well and does not allow for oxidation or solvent damage. Check the tank on my CL450...been that way for months, hasn't changed a bit--rain, gas, whatever, not a change. There are also other alternative coatings you can put on there to protect a bare tank, if that is your desired look. Check out Gibbs penetrant http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/ shits pretty awesome from what i've heard. The 2k clear coat gives the tank a constant wet look and is really bulletproof stuff--just don't inhale it or you die. X-(

Yeah i saw your tank and had the same thought. Only time will tell i suppose. Does the 2k clear have good adherence to raw unetched metal without primer?

axeugene27 said:
Yeah i saw your tank and had the same thought. Only time will tell i suppose. Does the 2k clear have good adherence to raw unetched metal without primer?

Seems to be ok thus far. Got to do some heavy coats to make it thick enough to hold up. I've also heard the POR15 DTM 2k works well...but haven't tried it yet. If it fails, its just a matter of removing it and redoing it...so its not like there is much concern there.

milehigh said:
I've also heard the POR15 DTM 2k works well...but haven't tried it yet.

Try some POR15 Glisten PC. Designed for metal, brass, copper and all sorts of other surfaces and looks like glass when finished.

I'm telling yea man im going to sent you a old tank that is junk inside and have you do one so i can hang it behind the bar !

Got a little more done on the tank last night...coming along nicely. I ended up removing the first scull i did and re-doing it, better. added the black lines around the sides and bottom...gonna be stellar.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 272
  • photo[2].jpg
    photo[2].jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 625
  • photo[4].JPG
    photo[4].JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 265
  • photo[5].jpg
    photo[5].jpg