Discussion on how to nominate bikes for the BOTM contest

The only improvement to BOTM would be an increase in the number of people voting. With the forum's membership to have only 71 people bothering to vote is disappointing!

Crazy
[/quote]

I agree!

I think that just to be nominated is an honour and there are no losers in BOTM. Perhaps a thread with all of the nominations listed would be a good idea, especially since many times it is so hard to decide which one to vote for.

I hate to dig up a tired old topic, but again with this month's nominations for BOTM, I think it bears repeating.

NOWHERE has there been discussion of the fact this forum is still named "do the TON" (meaning or at least assuming, bikes here should be capable of doing the ton).

I just don't see what I'm missing, or where I missed, it.

I NEVER held, or spoke, any opinion regarding "pro" builds vs "private" builds, cafe racers vs dirt bikes, budget vs deep-pocket, or any other variants. SIMPLY BIKES THAT CAN DO THE TON.

Am I asking too much?

Anyone taking issue with a simple question, please re-read (and re-read again) - I HAVE NO OBJECTION to any person, and bike, any build, any brand, any style, or anything else EXCEPT bikes that CANNOT do the ton. If the NAME of the forum is "Do The Ton", I really believe the bikes here (at least the BOTM nominations) should be able to do the bloody ton.

If this puts me on the outs here, I suppose I'm just getting too old.

Do the Ton is less literal and more of a rallying cry. Lots of bikes won't do the ton and are still cafe racers.

I personally don't like a lot of bikes - especially so called Brat Style which happen to be nothing like bikes from that shop and are just ugly IMHO but if someone wants to build one, that's fine with me. I see a trend currently more towards dual sport adventure bikes especially among the guys that have been there for a while. I rode one once and it was fine but not my style either. But I still like to see creativity whatever the end outcome or use.

Some guys on here have incredible skills and others don't know one end of a wrench from the other and they are all welcome. It's not our differences that define us - it's the things we have in common and that's bikes.

It's an old thread and time to let it go.

grandpaul said:
NOWHERE has there been discussion of the fact this forum is still named "do the TON" (meaning or at least assuming, bikes here should be capable of doing the ton).

I HAVE NO OBJECTION to any person, and bike, any build, any brand, any style, or anything else EXCEPT bikes that CANNOT do the ton. If the NAME of the forum is "Do The Ton", I really believe the bikes here (at least the BOTM nominations) should be able to do the bloody ton.

I guess part of what im not understanding too is that in a quick glance over the last 6 months or so, the only two bikes that won that WON'T do the ton have been my gt250 (which likely would do the ton in the right conditions and with a lighter than I 250lb rider) and a gt185 that was at least done in the cafe style. The rest may not have been a cafe racer style, they will do the ton, and that's your argument right? I have no doubt that even the dual sports (the klr and irks beemer) would crack 100mph.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's a thought...
If you don't like the bikes being nominated, nominate one yourself.
If you don't like the bikes that were nominated, don't vote on them.
If you simply can't bear to lay your delicate eyes on the caliber of the builds up for the BOTM, then use the Back Button on your browser and go view a different thread. Or better yet, don't open the BOTM thread in the first place.
There, problem solved ;)

Lots of us have started our customizing building a cafe, or cafe inspired bike. Over the years, the build categories on this site have grown to include: dirt, trackers, choppers, etc. This site doesn't want to be pigeonholed, nor do it's members. It's called evolution. Who cares if the BOTM choices are cafes, and who cares if they can actually do 100mph or 100kph (or whatever they call it in those imperial colonies). It's sort of ironic that we're arguing the validity of a classification that's a slang term. I mean, since when is an actual ton 100 anything?

I think your just being a complete butthole and for some unknown (to me) reason want to stir some sort of old shit pot.

As Tim has the ultimate say in what goes on here...

Im gonna give you my opinion since you opened this can.

Never has, never will "Prove to anyone its capable of Doing the Ton"
11494-250917043600-27501594.jpeg

I dont believe people should be forced to put themselves into dangerous situations simply to offer evidence that their bike is capable of breaking speed limit laws and worthy of a BOTM nomination. Because Im not going to suit up and rent track time to have any of my bikes nominated.

I know you yourself have had a bike nominated for BOTM. I have no idea if your bike is capable of DOING THE TON of not. I dont recall seeing video evidence or anything else posted as undeniable Proof it can do the ton.

I have never taken my BOTM winner out and tried to Do the Ton...and never will. 92mph was plenty fast enough for me and when I looked down and saw 92mph I backed off immediately. Ive had my K75 up to 95 once and backed off...fast enough for me, thanks.

This is coming from a guy w 4 finished builds (3 of which have been nominated for BOTM) and starting my 5th. None of which would be considered a "cookie cutter cafe racer". None of which would be completed to the level of quality they are if it weren't for the people on this site offering info and advise.

If a member builds a bike and another member believes its worthy of a nomination, and a 2nd member deems it worthy of a nomination.
Then YES as far as Im concerned its worthy of my consideration of a vote. If theres another bike I like better then I vote for it.

I dont ever recall seeing a bike that got less than a few votes.

Even Rachels Hondamatic restoration received 7 votes. Thats 6 members (besides myself, Only cause Rachel forgot to cast her vote) who thought her bike was more worthy than the other 2 bikes to WIN BOTM. I have no idea if it would Do the Ton.

I believe anyone w any kind of interest in any type bike should be welcomed. experienced or not. 50cc to 2300cc.

Thats the very thing that makes this site the hands down standout from all others.

Ive been a member for 7+ years. Its never gotten boring and it never will. I love seeing what everyone is up to. and I learn a lot simply from the variety. Of both the people and the builds.

Maybe you need take your ball and go start your own forum called. ONLY CAFE RACERS THAT WILL DO THE TON BECAUSE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE ELSE CAN SUCK IT.

Just my opinion.

The only improvement to BOTM would be an increase in the number of people voting. With the forum's membership to have only 71 people bothering to vote is disappointing!
Well said. I love this forum because of all the different bikes being built by very different people. Long may it continue as is .

I love the diversity of BOTM niminees....we get a complete cross section of styles and quality....but the stand out feature to me is each and every one has been built by hand to the specification of the owner.....hence they are all so individual.

I couldn't care less if they can 'Do the Ton' or not...jeez, I can barely hang on to my naked Honda at anything above 70mph...no way I'd try to do 100mph on it. So, how could I or any other builder prove this criteria to qualify?

I know what I like, and when I see it I vote....not every BOTM (I miss the deadline), but almost because I think each and every nominee bike deserves the recognition.

just my two-penneth....:)

simply making a bike that can go 100mph qualify is hardly important. should I post my CB600RR so it can be nominated?
this sort of gatekeeping and elitism is what keeps garage builders like myself away from community. Don't be that guy

Then really, the forum should be renamed.

Why name a forum Do The Ton if it no longer has much to do with actually doing the ton?

I myself nominated (or seconded) a few bikes that were clearly capable of doing the ton, with totally different styles and significant build differences. Something about repeating myself regarding that NOT being my issue really does seem to escape some folks...

I think I had ONE bike nominated, that won BOTM once. Anyone doubting THAT bike's ability do do the ton, and whether it actually DID the ton, has lost touch with logic.

Like cafe racer forums full of brat bikes and bobbers, there is less and less reality in this world.

"Do The Safe Speed"

gatekeeping and elitism is what keeps garage builders like myself away from community
+1
If only cafe racer's that are capable of the ton were allowed there would not be many bikes here. Enjoy this forum for what it is

+1. Let it go. You say that isn't an issue and yet you continue to harp on about it.

I think that you miss the historical point that even back in the day, very few customized bikes or cafe racers ever did the ton. Some could, some could not but few ever did. Modern bikes are far more capable than the golden oldies but road conditions are even less suitable to going fast in as much as most of us live and ride where there are way too many cars and SUVs with distracted drivers.

Going fast is all relative and is only one part of the motorcycling experience. On here, it's not so important except for the guys that build and race LSR bikes

My point was to highlight how this site has evolved. We've brought in pretty much everything except scooters, and there may be some of them in the other builds section. It's like how AT&T stands for American Telephone and Telegraph, but do they actually telegraph anymore? It's a name. Just a name.

grandpaul said:

Why name a forum Do The Ton if it no longer has much to do with actually doing the ton?

"Do The Safe Speed"

Maybe rename it 'Do the Best You Can' haha

grandpaul said:

(rambling bullshit)

"Do The Safe Speed"

Do we even race from cafe to cafe? Or participate in scrambles races? Stop calling it a cafe racer if you just ride it to work every day (like I do)

I'd bet that my bike COULD do 100mph. I dont want to try it, because that's not why I own it or built it. Mayne your qualifications should include a video of each nominee breaking the law and risking their life going double the speed limit to satisfy your ego.

Most weekends me and my buddies do ride from cafe to cafe !

Not often Ton up though, and certainly not on the ancient honda that i rebuilt

One of the Cafe’s is in fact the Ace Cafe, where this pretty much started

And that is good enough for me, plus i have a beautiful ‘Ton up’ speedo face made by Sparckmoto

Steve

Back
Top Bottom