CB 650 Oil Leak - Should I be worried?

akasoldats

So my 1980 cb 650 has had an oil leak pretty much since I purchased it. Yesterday I finally figured out where its coming from, the only problem is I don't know what the part is. I've attached a picture of the area that is leaking. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a gasket between the cover and the part but it drips. It only leaks a drop or two once the engine heats up. Is this something I can just rtv? Get a gasket if one exists? Or should I just replace the whole unit? I wanted to take the whole cover off but I assumed there is probably more oil in there and I dont have anymore to refill it atm.

Attachments

• IMAG0857.jpg
    IMAG0857.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,384
There's an o-ring in there that'll you want to replace. No.13. 46mm
honda-cb650-1980-usa-left-crankcase-coveroil-pump_bighu0134e0a11_ee6f.gif

It's located at the back of the oil pump between the case and the pump as far as i remember.

almost every daily rider marks it's territory.......i add a little oil to my cb650 every week but it does have almost 28k on it and it's only 34 years old

blackbuddha1 said:
almost every daily rider marks it's territory.......i add a little oil to my cb650 every week but it does have almost 28k on it and it's only 34 years old

True that, my left leg on my a few pairs of jeans bear the mark of a leaky top. Still runs great though

Good to know. I was just a little worried I guess since I didn't know if that meant my oil pump was on its way out.

Anyone know where I can order one. I went into honda and showed him what I needed but he informed me the part has been discontinued..

Find the dimensions of the oring and order it through mcmaster carr.

As far as all bikes marking their territory... That's not true. All leaks can (and should) be fixed if the owner is willing to do the work. They didn't (mostly ;) ) leak when new so they shouldn't leak now.

VonYinzer said:
Find the dimensions of the oring and order it through mcmaster carr.

As far as all bikes marking their territory... That's not true. All leaks can (and should) be fixed if the owner is willing to do the work. They didn't (mostly ;) ) leak when new so they shouldn't leak now.

Any idea how I can find the diameter and the o-ring type with out actually removing it from the bike? Its currently my dd, and I get the feeling it will probably disintegrate when I take it off. Who knows if its ever actually been swapped out.

From a Honda microfiche (Houseof honda.com)
O-RING (46X3)
91309-703-000

Go to the O-ring Store : http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_12_46&products_id=2120

$0.84 each Shipping is more.

Go to http://www.houseofhondaparts.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1980&fveh=132942
Find some more 0-rings you need and order from the o-ring store. The shipping on one o-ring is higher than the o-ring, so pick up a couple and it will be a good deal.

So I finally got around to changing the o-ring last weekend.. It took a bit to get those godforsaken phillips screws out. I hope to replace them soon. Anyways, after I swapped out the o-ring and put everything back together the sob still leaked.. is it possible that the #12's & #14's in the post above need to be replaced too or at this point should I start looking for another oilpump?

From your pic it seems as if the leak is from the plate at the front of the pump, not the o-ring at the back (though don't feel bad, it probably needed to be changed anyhow). Is that correct?

If so, you need to pull that plate. It doesn't show it in the parts fische but its likely there's a gasket ((o-ring?) behind that plate that's bad.

No reason at all, if you like pushing bikes with dead engines.
Are you sure it's not leaking from the pressure switch on top?
I had 3 fail by using 20w/50 (switch is only 4psi and mounted at highest pressure area of oil system)
BTW, the screws come out easy with correct screwdriver
#12 & 14 can leak, it's more likely they were the real problem?
You have to remove oil pump to change them
#13 isn't the 'O' ring under plate, I think that one is 1.5 or 2mm?

Hi AkaSoldats

Based on what you had there it seems that I have a similar problem. It's leaking from somewhere. Have you finally removed the cover plate and found an O-ring behind ? I know it was last posted in 2013 but I still take a chance. Let me know if you fix it and how.

thnx

EricPaquette said:
Hi AkaSoldats

Based on what you had there it seems that I have a similar problem. It's leaking from somewhere. Have you finally removed the cover plate and found an O-ring behind ? I know it was last posted in 2013 but I still take a chance. Let me know if you fix it and how.

thnx

Hi Eric,

I ended up changing out rings 12, 13, and 14. Originally I tried changing just 13 but I all of the rubber was so old I couldn't get a decent seal once I put everything back together. Once I replaced the other two the leak completely stopped.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom