My XS650 build

ryanglade

Been Around the Block
So I had a cafe racer thread here: http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=8359.0.
But I have had a change of heart. This is my only bike and want to get it going. I Love Cafe Racers but can see myself riding a bobber more on a daily basis, so that si what I am going to build.

I have been doing a lot of research - thanks VonYinzer - and am taking a welding class at the moment so I have access to a sweat shop with everything I will need. I will take a pic of the bike as it sits right now - bare frame roller - and post it here.

I want some advice from the gurus here about the best way to set my stance lower. Here is my idea in my head, I want a drop seat, not extreme but I want a low profile.

So my kid woke up so I will post more of my plans later.

Re: XS650 bobber

I am back to fill you all in on the vision.

Drop seat hardtail frame. forward controls and drag bars or something similar, no ape hangers, I am going for a sleek flowing look. I will post picks of some of the inspiration bikes out there.

Here are a few pics of my bike now.
rollingframe004.jpg

rollingframe006.jpg

The block that comes up to the frame on the second pic is about 7 1/2" tall. I would like to drop it down a little and advise for the best way to do that is much appreciated. I plan on moving the rear wheel back about 5".

I will post some pics later of some looks I like. and the frame I am going to build mine similar to.

Here are a couple inspiration bikes for my build and a shot of a dropseat frame I am going to build mine kind of like.

Frame
XS650_Hardtail_Black_bg.jpg

Bikes (I will comment later on specifics later)
bobber7ll4.jpg

lily01_small.jpg

dscf2766-kopie1.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

So that is the look I am going after but, it is going to be different, as much custom fab as I can, I am in it as much for the build as for the ride after the build.

I am thinking of using valve spring from a car for my springs on my seat, let me know any thoughts on that. I will comment more on my plans later.

What you posted isn't drop seat-it's a standard hardtail. This is a drop seat bike by Detroit Bros. (they're kinda known for it):
1179204641_4f2d6d54ee.jpg

Looks clown shoes IMHO, but to each their own.

Building a hardtail (the one you have a pic of is a slight dropseat, the bikes you posted are not) isnt difficult if you have a good jig, and the proper tools. Measure 100 times cut once and so on... Theres a few companys out there who build weld on kits for the xs (TC Bros. is one) if you wanted to go that route. Would save a lot of money in comparison to building a jig if you only want to make one of them. As far as the valve springs, they'll work but be a little stiff. Try it and see if you like them. If not go with springs made for a seat.

I know the bikes I posted are not drop seats, but the rear frame section is- I know it is not an extreme dropseat. I am not looking for anything as radical as the Detroit bros. just a little lower than the norm.

What I like about the bikes that i posted are (and I know they are all different, some more that others) that they all seem to flow. There is not anything that sticks up high and out of the way. I think they all seem to flow smoothly. That is my goal with this build. I want my bars to flow with my tank, and my tank to flow into my seat, into my rear fender/wheel. I have some ideas and they all will take quite a bit of work because they are all custom, so we will see what actually happen and when. I cn see this as being a long build with me hopefully getting the frame done and other essentials so I can ride it while I tackle my other plans with the bike.

Are you looking to sell parts from the bike to fund your build? If so, I have a XS and would be interested in some of your parts. Post if you have things for sale.

Cretin - I do have things to sell. I still have my seat if you still want it, i know you expressed an interest a while back. I also have my shocks, not bad shape at all (cleaned up pretty good for a real quick wire brush on a dremel) Most o the stock xs650 parts on the rear of the bike, brake control arms and such. I am going to get a different handle bar so if anyone wants the stock it is there too. Most of my front end components I am going to keep, but if you think of something just ask, who knows.

Tatoo - that bike has lots of things I like seat and tank esp.

So I measured my OD with calipers and got 1.115" I am pretty sure I am going to go with 1 1/8" OD tubing for the hardtail. I do have a question though, what gauge steel should I use for my seat when I make it? I am getting closer to ready to start hacking the rear off to start fabbing up the new rear.

I will post pics when there.

Looks like most of your inspiration bikes have sprung seats and if that is what you are looking to do I've seen 12-10 gauge sheet metal recommended. You don't want anything that will bend as your going down the road. If you are doing something that rides on the frame like a cobra styled seat you can get away with something thinner.

TC Bros make there hardtails with 1.125" DOM and it makes for a clean tail section because as you noted it matches up with the stock frame.

forty4ma9
thanks for the info. I deffinately do not want it bending on me.

A little update, I am almost ready to chop the frame and make my new hardtail, maybe monday or the next monday.

Re: XS650 Dropseat frame almost done

Here are a couple pics of the progress so far on the drop seat frame. It is not finished, I still have to mount the rear wheel mounting brackets and finish up the welds and add a couple cross braces. It is turning out pretty good. I will post more pics when i get finished with the frame.

I did not want you guys to think I wasn't making any progress.

The frame
DSCF4057.jpg

The taste of the look with tank
DSCF4058.jpg

More pics coming in next couple weeks.

ehhh,,, should have braced the frame better before cutting it... good luck putting the engine back. of the 5 engine mounting point I bet atleast 2 won't line up...

The good news is nothing is finish welded, just tacked enough to keep it stable. I am definitely going to confirm their location before finish welding it together, if it slipped out of place it could not have been by much. Monday will be the tell tale day when I find out for sure. Thanks for the concern.

ohhh ok,,,glad you are aware.. i've seen people cut their frames and wonder why their engine won't bolt back in.

So, the good news is I tacked up my cross bar support for the backbone and then slid the motor in and everything lined up the first time, no adjusting needed.

Malloy, I really do appreciate the comment and concern about the support, that is what makes this forum great. I have never fabricated anything really and so this frame wwas really my first attempt, I appreciate comments from others who have more experience and can lend a helpful word.

The frame is pretty much all done and I will add a pic or two later to show the finish look of the frame.

Can't wait to see the motor in. Should look cool. Just to be on the safe side you will still probably want to check for alignment. Put the back wheel on, remove the sproket cover on the motor. Use two straight 2x4s to align the back and front wheels. Place a straight edge accross the sproket on the wheel and the engine.

Good work.
I feel inadequate with what some people do in this board. I'll be keeping my eye on this build for sure. I'm not a big fan of the drop seats, mostly because I imagine stopping quickly into that crossbar, lol, but you've got a great start there.

Back
Top Bottom