This day in history....

Mine was only a few years ago. My daily rider was a 99 shadow ace 750. Talk about a gutless, yet well mannered little bike, affectionately known among my friend as the rocking chair. I probably only ever saw 85 out of that thing on my most spirited pass.

A friend of mine owned a 1200 bandit, and after work he told me to hop on and ride it back to his place, and he would follow on my ace. To say I was un prepared is an understatement. After two of the most horrid looking power wheelies and almost throwing myself over the bars with a hand full of the front brakes, I was ready to switch back almost instantly. He urged me to keep going, so I did, a little smoother next time. I looked down to see an indicated ton and a quarter just as I passed the local sheriff station.

That was good enough for me, and besides the buddies gto, I've not seen the ton since. I'm a pretty boring young guy I suppose.

hurco550 said:
Mine was only a few years ago. My daily rider was a 99 shadow ace 750. Talk about a gutless, yet well mannered little bike, affectionately known among my friend as the rocking chair. I probably only ever saw 85 out of that thing on my most spirited pass.

A friend of mine owned a 1200 bandit, and after work he told me to hop on and ride it back to his place, and he would follow on my ace. To say I was un prepared is an understatement. After two of the most horrid looking power wheelies and almost throwing myself over the bars with a hand full of the front brakes, I was ready to switch back almost instantly. He urged me to keep going, so I did, a little smoother next time. I looked down to see an indicated ton and a quarter just as I passed the local sheriff station.

That was good enough for me, and besides the buddies gto, I've not seen the ton since. I'm a pretty boring young guy I suppose.

Hey, you forgot to tell about the time you did the ton on that unicycle!

All my bikes take long ass time to reach the ton (if they ever do), assless chaps or not. Not very exciting when i get there either! :D did 150 on a daytona 675 once and it felt like 50. Meh

ridesolo said:
Honestly, I can't remember the first time doing a ton, but I do vividly remember one day, alone somewhere out in the middle of nowhere in Illinois; beautiful day, nobody else on the road as I said "why not?" to myself and let the VFR have her head. After going past an indicated 140 mph the common sense kicked in and I rolled off. The bike had more left, but I ran out of guts and haven't gone that fast since. There was another time on that same VFR, heading south out of OK City toward DFW. I was cruising along at about the posted limit and was continually being passed. So I stepped up the speed until I was staying w/ the flow of traffic; occasionally passing and occasionally being passed, and sat right at 100 mph for many, many miles. Talk about rapid transit!

I made a trip a year ago from Ga. to Ca. Everyone said to avoid Texas because it was so big and boring. Since the trip was big and boring anyways no matter what state I went through it didn't matter. As it turned out it was a benefit to go through Texas which I hit at dusk and missed every major area during rush hours and freaked when I saw the big posted speed limit signs that say 80mph which meant I could do 90 without worry. I made up some major time going through Texas that I could not have done elsewhere. No.Ga. to Palm Springs in 22hrs.

It was the summer of '77 riding my '74 Kawasaki h2b. It was a Saturday morning about an hour after sunrise around 45 minutes north of Toronto. A buddy and I were riding the secondary back roads to another friend's cottage. The sun was brilliant and the road was empty. We could see straight across the valley for a couple of miles. I wicked it up to an indicated 125 mph and held it there.

It was wonderful!! ;D

canyoncarver said:
My ZRX does the ton pretty much every time I ride it.
Congrats you got a motorcycle
Most new bikes with a z or x or r or whatever does the ton in 2nd so..

5 years to the day that I joined up, so glad to have been here for half of DTT's existence!

Haven't met any other members in person yet (being from the otherside of the pond), but am looking forward to sitting round and chatting shit about bikes (and dare I say, Politics :-X) online for another 5 years!

Congrats Tim and DTT!

Happy Ten Year Anniversary DTT.
To Tim and all who make this site what it is, to the many friends and family I have made thru this site.
It is an honor to be amongst you, and I thank you!!!

How many people can say they have friends all over the States, the continent and even all over the world that would lend a hand if needed?

datadavid said:
Congrats you got a motorcycle

My ZX14 does the ton in 1st gear but my SR500 tops out at an indicate ton and it feels like I am going pretty fast, while the ZX14 doesn't feel like it is going fast until I am over 200kmph.

This is such a great site to have all these helpful, experienced and sometimes very funny members. Because I can't ride now I spend many hours on here and I have learned a lot and gotten lots of good ideas and advice.

Here's to the next 10 years!

Brian

datadavid said:
Yea, it ain't for everybody ;)

I remember my first Ton. My second bike, an '82 CB900F. Was invited out to watch (and possibly participate) in a weekly gathering of bikes for riding and street racing. I did the Ton a few times that night, which led to many years of riding and racing with that group. The 900F eventually gave way to a VF1000R, which gave way to my first born... and then a 10 year hiatus from owning a bike. (I'd still ride some and race occasionally on borrowed bikes)
The hiatus ended with the purchase of my Hayabusa. Now riding, with much less racing, with a closer knit group of the same guys. As mentioned earlier, modern bikes will exceed the Ton with very little effort. and I bounced the rev limiter in 6th gear many times on the 'busa. It became almost mundane. I found myself having more fun with the project DS7. And I find there are much less "politics" or "bravado" involved in the vintage bike crowd as opposed to the sportbike crowd.
As the old adage goes... "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" :D

My Box Chevy C10 does the ton at 85mph because it has a tranny from a '78 Chevy van and I'm too lazy to change the driven gear.

Needs more numbers...

1597409_1498125947144573_140097342_n.jpg

CrabsAndCylinders said:
My ZX14 does the ton in 1st gear but my SR500 tops out at an indicate ton and it feels like I am going pretty fast, while the ZX14 doesn't feel like it is going fast until I am over 200kmph.

This is such a great site to have all these helpful, experienced and sometimes very funny members. Because I can't ride now I spend many hours on here and I have learned a lot and gotten lots of good ideas and advice.

Here's to the next 10 years!

Brian
Thats kind of what i said. 250km/h on a modern bike doesnt feel like anything. Its really impressive that its been made into such a silent and smooth experience, but i prefer riding something that feels like its gonna grenade above 80! :D

I've done the ton a number of times on most of my bikes (CB550, R75/6, XS650) but this is the only evidence.

Doing around 110 on my XS in Alabama a couple years back on the way back to the hotel from Barber's.

0491f9c70d59d73e55839fbcf7b03a2d.png

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

First Ton ??

As a 16 year old [ on my birthday ] know it all on my Father's [ soon to be mine ] sprung hub Thunderbird.

Hurtling down a narrow lane with hedges very close on each side and seemingly getting closer as the speedo wound round the dial and young TJ flat on the tank. :eek:

With the downhill assistance [ still counts ]b the magic ton was just aced.

PRICELESS ..................................... 8)

mine would have been on my GS750, don't remember exactly but that would have been the first bike I had capable of it, then I had a GS850G which was slower but a lot more comfy, then the GSX1100......ton easy and had it redlined in top at about 250kmh as I went past a group of mates who hadn't bothered to wait for me at the meeting point, bastards, they got theirs, couple of them nearly filled their pants when I went past and they were doing 100kmh
the Vmax does the ton in 2nd and can also be pushed to the mid 200's but it is not comfortable

When talking about "doing the ton" are we talking kph or mph? 100kph is only a tick over 60mph.

Back
Top Bottom