Ran When Parked

Ethanol

Coast to Coast
So "ran when parked" and "just needs carb work" have become mine and my buddies' favorite phrases as of late because it seems like that describes 90% of the old bikes in the paper or on craigslist (we buy a lot of bikes).

No matter what is wrong with the bike it needs "carb work" but trust us, when we parked it for some reason 12 years ago and started pulling the engine apart it ran fine! Promise!

So I made this website: http://itranwhenparked.blogspot.com/

So post up some of the rattiest most ruined bikes you have ever come across and I'll add them to the site. If you see any funny craigslist ads send me a link and I'll include them.

Are those actual serious ads?

I loved the one with all of the misspellings...one I saw today had "Vanes and Hines" headers....for crying out loud, if you're trying ot sell something, at least know what your selling...

I still get a kick out of all the harley guys thinking that their 10 year old bike is more valuable than buying a brand new one...when they've done nothing to it since buying it. Eh...guess that's market driven, though...some people I guess would, and do pay top dollar for somebody elses headaches.

I recognize some of those pics. Funny gag ads. Some people have a really warped sense of what their piece of shit is worth. Just because it's old doesn't make it a classic worth thousands of dollars.

haha, like the idea. was going to suggest that bike-in-tree photo, but I should have known it'd already be there

I love the line, "only needs a battery to start".....BS if that was it, you'd buy one and be riding, batteries are cheap, I just got one for my bike because I might have to sell it and the one in it was weak and would sometimes not start the bike, nothing worse than showing someone a bike hitting the starter and whoops, got to push start it.

Cheers,

Maritime Biker said:
I love the line, "only needs a battery to start".....BS if that was it, you'd buy one and be riding, batteries are cheap, I just got one for my bike because I might have to sell it and the one in it was weak and would sometimes not start the bike, nothing worse than showing someone a bike hitting the starter and whoops, got to push start it.

Cheers,

I actually bought my bike like that. Went to look at it and it wouldn't turn over and couldn't start it with the kick. Offered the guy $200 less because of it. Got it home and jumped it off my car (let's not start that discussion again) and it started right up. Some people just want them out of their garage. If they advertise a bike like that, all you have to do is jump it off your car to see if it works. Otherwise, you can call BS on them.

Great idea for a site. Actual ads would be better though. They are usually funny enough. There is a guy in ATL that has been trying to sell his CB750 cafe projects for $500 for months. The picture is basically a bunch of boxes with a set of forks next to them.

come to think of it, that's what my bike looks like. But I'm not trying to sell mine. :)

I actually bought my bike like that.

My first bike was an easy rebuild after a low-speed drop, no guarantee of it running at all! Rides like nothing else now, though. The GS850 is ongoing; fella had to bridge the freakin' starter to get it running, sparks and crap flying everywhere. Apparently his son had hacked the wiring. WTF?

Somewhere I found a hilarious list of descriptions and meanings, I'll have to track it down. Random stuff like these few below.

95% complete - I can't find the other 5%, doubt you will either.
Great exhaust note - Covers up terminal big end.
Ride away - I live on a hill.

...and it went on like that. Theres also been a guy on Australian eBay lately, doing funny ads:

[pic of old, rusted BMX bike]
'Awesome-core 80's BMX bike, longest skid I ever did went for 2 weeks. Bid quick though, this thing is mad to the power of sick! You'll be unbeatable just by touching it!!!' Stuff like that, with hilarious answers to peoples questions.

Thanks for the laugh with the pics...the 'Ride as is' and 'Mechanics Special' are my favs.

Cheers - boingk

If I see a misspelled add, I pass it by. I only buy bikes with sound engines with the exception of a salvaged track bike project (I knew what I was getting into). I also have to ride the bike prior to purchase.

One of the first thing I look for in an ad or in an email for someone trying to buy my bike is sheer stupidity. It's never worth dealing with those people. Stuff like this is a total red flag:

~*~1979~*~ hARLEY dAVIDSON mOTORcycle **purple** - $7995 (^*northeast*^)

*****CASH PRICE***** $ 7,995 TAKES THIS GREAT BIKE HOME!!!

ya its bad enough when people feel the need to type like that on facebook, but in an serious ad? This is a business transaction. You expect me to do business with a person that types like a 12 year old counter strike nerd?

here are some pictures for your to use:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1349397868.html

ad states:
honda street bike for sale, i think it is a 360 cc, no title, whole or parts, was told it runs but have never started it. best offer call 724-277-8039

Basically they know nothing about it, except that it must say "Honda" somewhere

TJEvans said:
I still get a kick out of all the harley guys thinking that their 10 year old bike is more valuable than buying a brand new one...when they've done nothing to it since buying it. Eh...guess that's market driven, though...some people I guess would, and do pay top dollar for somebody elses headaches.

Um, those Harleys for sale wouldn't come with two helmets and XXL leather jackets included, now would they? And um, would those 10 year old Harleys have about 1500 miles on them???

TJEvans said:
here are some pictures for your to use:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1349397868.html

ad states:
honda street bike for sale, i think it is a 360 cc, no title, whole or parts, was told it runs but have never started it. best offer call 724-277-8039

Basically they know nothing about it, except that it must say "Honda" somewhere

I don't visit craigslist very often. I find it has a sleazeball quality to it. That ad supports my assumption. :D

Vince Lupo said:
Um, those Harleys for sale wouldn't come with two helmets and XXL leather jackets included, now would they? And um, would those 10 year old Harleys have about 1500 miles on them???

Geez, you aren't actually interested in a Hardley, are ya??? :D

biker_reject said:
Geez, you aren't actually interested in a Hardley, are ya??? :D

If I were to get one, it would be that new XR1200 in black and orange. That is a very cool bike.

I bought two bikes for $400 that "ran when parked"

Fresh gas, plug wires on one, and one battery later and I had two running bikes. Luckily, both bikes took the same battery. Kinda lucked out considering one was a 77 Yamaha and the other was an 84 Honda. Both had the ownership too.

Back
Top Bottom