Fuel tank - bad cream job, fixable????

MBS

Live, breath, sleep HONDA!
Hey gang, I am considering a fuel tank for my project but it has a bad cream coat inside. Is this fixable? If so how? I would guess you just go through the process again with the kit, but I don't really know. Anyone with any experience on this issue please give me some pointers. I have creamed tanks before, no problem, but never messed on up. I don't want that crap in my engine or clogging my filters. Thanks in advance for the help and advice. -MBS

I was always under the impression that it would need to be blasted out.
Remember, the metal was supposedly etched prior to the creaming and should be well adhered (at least in spots).
what the hell are you starting on now anyways? You haven't said anything about new projects.

Skiman,

Yeah I was considering a fuel tank for my CM400T rebuild because I like the style of it. But after calling around and researching the cost and hassle of dealing with the bad cream job I decided to let it go. Too bad though. Here is the fuel tank on Ebay: (you might need to scroll right and down to see all the pics)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390059396882&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_4703wt_3851

And here is what I wanted to do with it in a similar style:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10284.0

The price was a bit high too, but the seller was willing to take $50 for it shipping included. Like I said though, I opted out. -MBS

I've used Caswells product on 3 tanks with good results. You do need to follow the directions to the letter though!! Check 'em out at:

http://caswellplating.com

It's expensive, but it can save a nice tank that might otherwise be tossed in the garbage.

Thanks for the info - cool stuff! Still I think I will find a fuel tank eventually without the hassle of someone else's screw up. -MBS

If you get the Kreem out (assuming that's the cream we're talking about) re-line it with POR-15. Much better product IMHO.

Yeah that home chrome kit is interesting, but I am not sure how easy it is. I thought that in order to chrome something you have to go through a process of plating using a conductive charge, so I don't think I understand how you could do it at home, and I am not entirely convinced that you could achieve those results in your kitchen.

Hey MBS................

I can just see you and the boys doing a home chrome project in the kitchen ;D
Make sure to let us know what day your planning that little project so we can make sure not to be home and take any calls from the SO.

Acetone will thin-out/break down the kreem lining. I used it to remove the old red-kote lining from my tank before re-lining it. You'll need to let it sit and slosh it around to get it all out. If there's spots where it's thicker and you're having trouble getting it out, try dumping out the old acetone and putting some fresh stuff in there. Do a google search, there's a couple how-to's out there on cleaning the old kreem lining out. It's not too hard, just takes a while to get all the stuff out, especially in the corners, near the seams, etc.

Just remember that acetone is nasty stuff and you'll want to be VERY careful. Having a big wash basin to work in and wearing goggles, sleeves, gloves, etc, is a neccessity.

Back
Top Bottom