Bike died on the way in to work today..

obscene

My nice brisk morning ride into work turned into a nice brisk morning walk into work..

From the few things I tried on the side of the road I'm guessing the battery died due to my bike having a pretty sucky charging system. I checked for fuel and was ok and noticed that my indicator lights were pretty dim. Got it to barely start up with the kick-start but it would die shortly after.

Will sitting in the sun for 8 hours change anything or should I think about calling for a ride home? The bike is parked at a church near my office. :mad:

It died by a church? I think God is telling you something. I don't think I want to get involved. ;)

would charging from a car be enough to get me home? I've read that you shouldn't have the car on as not to overload the bike..

as long as the battery is in the car, the voltage won't exceed 13 or 14 volts, which is fine to jump a bike, it won't hurt it

andrewm said:
did you try bump starting it?

That only works if the charging system can run the bike, sounds like he is using the battery to keep it running, if that's the case, a bump start would be as useless as his kickstart was until he charges up the battery, then fixes the charging system problem. I had been using bump starts in the morning because my battery was weak and wouldn't hold a charge, by the time I rode to work the charging system would have the battery up enough to get one good try with the starter and most times it would go, then overnight it would discharge and not start the bike. This case a bump start worked fine (I have no kick) I have since replaced the battery and no issues.

Obscene, good luck finding the electrical issue, I know that can be a pain in the ass, but a multimeter and test light can help big time.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom