Building a CB/CL Scrambler - Help on Tires

TheBullitt

Hi guys,

I’m building my 73 CB350 into a CL/scrambler. I am using the stock rims and need to determine what tires will fit. The bike will see some slight flat track (nothing serious), dirt roads and city streets. Initially I was planning on running a dual-sport tire, 100 upfront and 120 rear but I’m having trouble finding sets that fit the bill. I’m really digging the Shinko 705 tread pattern or the Avon Distanzia. I’m guessing the 120/80-18 would work fine. What would be a good front to go with that? Might be a dumb question, but do guys ever use same tire sizes in front and rear? Possible and/or practical?

Does anyone know what a proper flat track tire is? Any of those work on-road too?

Let me know if you've got any suggestions for some new shoes.

I run a 72 CB450, i think they use the same width rims.
The 100 up front fits great, but a 120 rear is slightly too wide. It kinda "pinches" the tire at the top of the tread. Sticking closer to stock sizes will yield better results.

I just need to ask, does it ever make sense to run the same size and width front and rear tire?

I like the look and was thinking if you don’t go with a super wide tire it might work out. Tire I would like to do is a "Kenda Front or Rear K761 110/80H-18 Tire"; https://www.denniskirk.com/kenda/front-or-rear-k761-110-80h-18-tire.p542221.prd/542221.sku It's listed as a front or rear. From what I've read on the forums, a 110 will fit in the rear. For what it's worth, I'm not running a front fender of any kind nor do I have a chain guard in the rear.

A 110/80 won't fit properly in the stock rear hoop either:

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

You'll need to lace up a 2.15" rim.

This is a 120/90 I put on the cl350 I built for my brother.

IMG_20120427_100127.jpg

Swapmeet Louie said:
This is a 120/90 I put on the cl350 I built for my brother.

I guess you don't like him much?
That is wide enough to be dangerous, you can see the curve on sidewalls, plus, it looks like contact strip is only about an inch or so wide?

As for tyre sizes, max safe size on stock rims is still 90/90 front and 110/90 rear
You've seen you can fit wider tyres but bike will be way less stable.
Even 90/90 and 110/90 does affect handling compared to stock sizes (definitely more 'twitchy' but you get used to it)

Doesn't get ridden much then, going 10mm over on XS650 (140 instead of 130) and I got less than 1800 miles compared to my normal 3,000+

ya, every time I've been to a tire shop, for bike or car, they say "I wouldnt do that". and I reaspond, "shut up, do you want my business or not".

crazypj said:
Doesn't get ridden much then, going 10mm over on XS650 (140 instead of 130) and I got less than 1800 miles compared to my normal 3,000+

Pj, now your making assumptions.... he rides it every weekend!

and so you got less mileage...that hardly constitutes "unsafe". My brother Keith has had it replaced for sure I know.... Is it the best width for the rim? no Will this person die if he runs a 120? yes, but from something else...

Lastly, I would like to say, I do agree with most of what you guys are advising. Just not the "danger" aspect. A 120/anything is not best for optimal for performance. But chances are, he'll get rear-ended by some chick texting before that 120 would be his demise.. And if he fallows a majority of this board. His bike wont run. Lets not get the cart in front of the horse here.

Swapmeet Louie said:
ya, every time I've been to a tire shop, for bike or car, they say "I wouldnt do that". and I reaspond, "shut up, do you want my business or not".

I would say 'NOT', do it yourself or go elsewhere ;D
Tyres and rims are matched for a reason, to give the best possible compromise between handling and wear.
Manufacturers usually used to fit the narrowest rims they could get away with, if you heck the published charts and recommendations you'll usually see the stock tyres are close to maximum width for the rim they are fitted on (tyres often wider than optimal)
Fitting wider tyres means you have to use much higher pressures to maintain sidewall stability, of course, that reduces grip and accelerates tyre wear. Using standard pressure means sidewalls flex more because they are working at odd angles

I wanted to try Shinko 705 110/80-19" front and 120/80-18" rear tires http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire
...and I even asked another forum member here(who uses the radial 110/80-19" both front and rear on a different type of bike) how wide they were as to if one would fit between a `71 CL350's forks which he said "absolute widest part mounted is almost exactly 4 inches (3.98 or so)"...and it seemed that would squeeze in
...as I really wanted something that would work well on gravel roads

but I chickened out, thinking thats just too much tire on the stock pretty thin rims

instead I got Shinko 712 100/90-19" front 110/90-18" rear on the stock rims
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-712-motorcycle-tire
....its pretty common to see this size combo of tires on a CB/CL350(I have another CL350 thats had that size on it for years before I got it) but thats as wide as i would ever go on the skinny stock rims, and its probably pushing it alittle

On my cl350 I have a 100/90-19 on the front (it's a bit large) and a 110/90-18 on the back. The back is pretty wide too. I'll be looking for a 90/90-19 and 100/90-18 the next time I buy a set of tires.

I fitted new WM3 rims and went to max size tyres on them, but, as you are doing, I used older style road/trail tyres (Bridgestone pattern Shinko, probably from mid-80's?)
On street only bikes I use 90/90 and 110/90 with WM3 rims (although I'm going to use a WM2 front,WM3 rear on next one)
Link to pics in build/blog below (last page or two)

Powdercoating stock rims is too expensive in my opinion, may as well pay some extra and get wider rims (Mikes XS has some excellent prices on black or 'silver' flanged rims at present)

T Rush said:
...and I even asked another forum member here(who uses the radial 110/80-19" both front and rear on a different type of bike)

T Rush - Do you recall which type of bike? Similar size rims?

PjkF said:
On my cl350 I have a 100/90-19 on the front (it's a bit large) and a 110/90-18 on the back. The back is pretty wide too. I'll be looking for a 90/90-19 and 100/90-18 the next time I buy a set of tires.

PjkF - do your current tires cause any problems? Rub? What makes them too large for your taste?

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom