Spoked wheels on a suzuki gs 550

Sigaard

Hey..

I got a 1980 suzuki gs 550, and dont have spoked wheels on it, but a "Star" shaped wheel.. I would like to get spoked rims on it, but I have no idea what model to take them from.. And what about my current disc brakes, when spoked rims are with drum breaks??

Could somebody please help me.. And Sorry for my english, but I at from Denmark..

The bikes that came with spokes were the 70's GS550, 750, and 1000 (which had the aluminum spokes and rim, and are very hard to find). Any of those will work, you need the wider sprocket/hub that the spoke wheels came with and then the correct axle spacers.

A few models came with the disc/spoke combo, my 1978 GS750 spokes did. Also the 1000 and 750s had 19 inch front rims, 18 inch rear. The 550s had 18/17 if I recall correctly.

I dont recall the 1000's ever coming standard with spoke wheels. There was a 1000 Katana that was produced for production racing homologation that had spokes (I believe), but that was a few years later on.

Anyway, the earlier 550 wheels should be a pretty easy fit.

I am having the same dilemma, I think GT500 wheels will fit as they are the same size and take the same tyres. May need different bearings, I haven't researched that yet. Problem I have is that my bike is a 550E which has brakes which are superior as I have a disk brake on the on the rear and twin disks on the front, rather than a drum and single like the GT, not a problem on some GS550s though.

If you want a spoked rear with disc you want an early GS750 wheel.

Not sure about the axle size or bearings but a bearing swap shouldn't be too hard (Suzuki mainly used common bearing sizes in their wheels)

I have the early 750 spokes (rear disc) and it uses the same bearing as my 550.

The 77 GS750's had single disc brakes, BUT the hub is drilled and tapped on both side for twin disc. The 78 GS750's came with both single and twin disc, and both spokes and mags ( carry overs from earlier production ). Look for a 77-78 GS750 hub and you'll be able to run dual disc. The 78 GS1000 did come with spokes and DID aluminum hoops.

The problem you run into is the mag rims are "narrower". You need the brakes from a GS1000 that have clearance on the inside ( towards spokes ). Note the large angle on the inside of the caliper.

photobucket-45614-1363956288846_zps02b93b4a.jpg

this guy might be able to help you on ebay if youre in uk. a set of spoked wheels with discs and a spoked rear drum. but its with all the other crap.

link might help haha
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261190533985?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Hi Sigaard, I have bought a set of GT550 wheels from fleabay for my GS, I will do a mock up the front next weekend (13 April) and let you know how they match up. Only problem I have is that the rear has a drum NOT disk so I will need to add in a brace for the drum if I decide I want to go down that route. If it fits, I will get the front blasted and power-coated then upload the results for you. Rear needs some new spokes and I may have a look out for a 750/1000 hub with disk. I will update you on the rear in due course! Good luck!

Attachments

• rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2,547
  • front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,453
UPDATE! The GT550 front wheel fits perfectly, same stud pattern for disks, same size/lugs for speedo hub, same size bearings, spacers and spindle!

Back
Top Bottom