Is my hub now a paper weight?

Also from a customer service point of view....do not tell them that you will never be back. Bite your tongue and even tell them that you have heard good things about them and you would like to continue a strong business relationship with them in the future however this issue needs to be resolved first. Start out friendly then if need be escalate gradually to all out war with insurance slips and grenades!! If you start out telling them they're idiots and you're never coming back then they have less reason to settle with you cause they've already lost a customer so what's the use.

That's A LOT of damage. Like stated previous, no drill marks. Of course it felt fucking seized!!!

You never loose a single customer, you always loose several, everyone disgruntled customer talks to is going to worry, and everyone who sees it on internet
Suzuki TL1000 wasn't a bad bike but internet and bad riders pretty much killed it until it came back with conventional suspension, less power and SV nomenclature
There are over 18,000 people on this site, if only a very small percentage are anywhere near that shop it could hurt them so they should 'make it right' out of goodill if nothing else

Yeah I'm not going to go in there and right away tell them that I'm no longer doing any business with them until they try to tell me they didn't do it or that they won't replace it. That's why I would also like to know what would of been the PROPER way to remove it so I don't seem clueless. Also if they do that I will be sure to name the shop on here. I already know a few members on here are up in that area of NY. Also if anyone is even the slightest interested this is my build thread. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=50116.0

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Of course we are, now we can see what your doing and give LOTS of unwelcome advice ;D
Personally I've never been much of a fan of CB750, they are OK but too wide and heavy for my riding style (at least until they are in a Rickman chassis ;) )

So finally some good news!! I had the hub taken to a local machine shop and after having them laugh at it and commenting how the place who did it had no idea what they where doing abs should be out of business they said they could fix it. They need to build it up with aluminum then re tap it, and there gong to do it for free. (My dad and the owner are apparently friends from way back)

quadracer351 said:
So finally some good news!! I had the hub taken to a local machine shop and after having them laugh at it and commenting how the place who did it had no idea what they where doing abs should be out of business they said they could fix it. They need to build it up with aluminum then re tap it, and there gong to do it for free. (My dad and the owner are apparently friends from way back)

It pays to know people who know what they are doing. Glad you got it worked out. I would still send a repair bill to the other place that farked it up.

Yeah there definitely getting a call from me just so they are very aware of what they did.

Damn you just got lucky 8)
That's got to be $300+ for welding and machining
Plus, you now 'know' the machine shop guys ready for the next bunch of stuff you do

I wouldn't worry about the powder coat, getting the work done free is pretty god compensation, plus, the center of the hub is 'hidden' by drive flange and brake plate (although pre-heating may 'cook' it off the bits you can see?)

Yeah pj I'm thrilled about knowing this shops existence and the connection I have. I would happily pay for the work done on anything I bring them in the future. I wish I knew about them when I accidentally went a little too crooked with an ez out on a broken bolt for the exhaust flange. Cost me 100$ just to have the hole filled in and now I'm currently in the garage grinding the weld down so I can drill and tap it tomorrow!
ha7usure.jpg

And I'm not too worried about the powder coating. Since its being done for free I'll just head over to the powder coater and have it fixed.

Re: Re: Is my hub now a paper weight?

legendary_rider said:
Dude. I'm very happy for you.

Thanks man!! Love you guys and all the support and advice. Couldn't get through this build without you guys! Also for anyone in the metro NY area the machine shop I bought my part to is Matic Hydraulics Inc. Located at 15-40 127th street, College Point NY 11356. (They deal with mainly hydraulics but told me to bring them anything what in the future) I have yet to get the part back but they where nothing but nice and knowledgeable si I have allot of faith the hub will come back perfect. As for the originator of this issue that would be Hudson Valley Cycle Center, in Kingston NY. I have to say it's a great shop and I've never had a problem getting oem parts for my 74 cb from them. BUT there mechanic that I dealt with clearly knows ditto about old bikes and i wouldn't trust him with another one of my parts.

HVCC will get the bill for the recoat along with the machining fix. I agree though that what you saved on the fix makes it easy to come out of pocket the minimal expense of coating the hub. What did you pay for coating the hub? I would have been around $25-$35.

quadracer351 said:
I wish it was that much. The rear hub cost $85 to powder at action powder coating.

You're getting ripped, send it to me and I'll do it for $35. Shipping both ways will still be cheaper than they are. I get $100 for a whole alloy wheel, $85 for a hub is ridiculous.
What city are you in?
Is that the ACP in San Diego? I'm surprised because they are a production coater. Production coaters rarely do the proper prep for a long lasting durable custom job. They are usually priced about 1/10th of what I charge and you get what you pay for. I just did some parts yesterday for a go kart manufacturer who was in a bind in a time crunch. He pays the production coater $3 for a go kart bumper that I would charge $35 for. In his case the bumpers are a throw away item on the carts that get damaged and replaced every few weeks so they don't need to be a quality coating job that lasts.

I would say he's somewhere in NY, san Diego is a bit far away isn't it?
Shipping will probably be around $15.00 each way so there isn't much cost saving

No no I'm in New York, this is action powder coating in long island. Where are you located? I had them do my frame, swing arm, front hub, front rim, rear hub, rear rim, front brake rotor, sprocket cover, registration holder, fork legs, and a few other odds and ends for a total of $875. It was either going to be them or another local place who was a little more than $100 less but action came highly recommended.

quadracer351 said:
No no I'm in New York, this is action powder coating in long island. Where are you located? I had them do my frame, swing arm, front hub, front rim, rear hub, rear rim, front brake rotor, sprocket cover, registration holder, fork legs, and a few other odds and ends for a total of $875. It was either going to be them or another local place who was a little more than $100 less but action came highly recommended.

I'm in Ga. I'd rather pay shipping both ways and save $10 than get ripped a new one locally.
I would have been in the $650 range for those parts.

Back
Top Bottom