19 inch tyre on an 18 inch rim?

killerbanjo

Poor English kid getting into bikes and loves it!
hi all basic question just wondered if it would be safe to do so or is it a silly idea? cheers, Ed.

What size shoe do you wear? Go down to the local shop and buy yourself a pair that are a few sizes bigger than that, then go for a sprint. Pickin' up what I'm puttin' down? ;)

I just thought its only. a small amount on each side and that I might be ok... but I know what you mean haha

killerbanjo said:
I just thought its only. a small amount on each side and that I might be ok... but I know what you mean haha

It's not a small amount on each side, you're talking about the diameter and not the width.

Ever seen a wheel spinning inside of a tire? I have; demo derby on the 4th and this one time when this guy put a 19" tire on an 18" rim.

VonYinzer said:
What size shoe do you wear? Go down to the local shop and buy yourself a pair that are a few sizes bigger than that, then go for a sprint. Pickin' up what I'm puttin' down? ;)

Lol

You guys are all haters.....

The big advantage to a 19 in tire on a 18 inch rim is that no tire irons or tools are needed to install it.

The time savings right there make it worthwhile.

Removing the tire later is also a whole lot easier.

Now you guys need to think out of the box..Just put the 19 inch tire right over the 18 inch tire. Double thickness, double the wear life...

For those without a sense of sarcasm, all of the above was my weak attempt at humor. ;D

Okok I'm a complete noob to bikes other than engines so don't grind me too hard lol...

killerbanjo said:
Okok I'm a complete noob to bikes other than engines so don't grind me too hard lol...

C'mon man... You have to understand why we're giving you a hard time. Haha... No hard feelings meant, but it was a silly question. Now you know though.

yeah I realised it would almost certainly be a no but if you do not know then its worth asking right? or I would still not know!

If you are really new to this then I guess it's not a bad question but no offence it is funny. This forum has a great bunch of guys with a lot of knowledge, they can help you a lot. Do you have an experienced friend that can help you with your bike? Don't start fiddling with it until you have a good idea of what you are messing with.

Yes, you can put a 19" tire on an 18" rim, it's a lot easier than putting an 18" inch tire on a 19" rim, but don't.

MJPriceisright said:
hahahahaahahahhahahahhhaha... that is all.

I too thought this was a joke... Probably not the first or last time it was/will be asked and I'm sure it will be funny again... Sorry man.. Yeah some idiots put them on cars to do stunts and drift but that's four wheels and not a daily rider. I wouldn't do it on two wheels for even a single ride. Just jot safe. The bead would be loose and probably would just wobble around like trying to put a cheap pos harbor freight grinding wheel in your Bosch angle grinder. Makes its a little difficult to get the job done.

koonendez said:
Was always told there is no such thing as a stupid question

AlphaDogChoppers: "A friend of mine once said, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

Back
Top Bottom