Before sourcing Honda CB350 - front disc brake vs drum?

mydlyfkryzis said:
Don't do stoppies on a CB350. The bike doesn't have the weight distribution for it. The front wheel will lock and skid before you get a good stoppie...a lock wheel is good for a highside crash...

If you high side a bike from locking up the front wheel at 20-30KPH while going strait none the less you sir are a champion crasher... Ive watched a lot of people lock up there front end, i have yet to see one high side from it (even at race pace)

xb33bsa said:
true dat and soiled shorts :(

I thought I was safe, i was good at just jumping over the bars if needed when i was trying to get really high up on the super moto. Then one day i caught the bars with my foot... I keep my stoppies pretty calm since then hahahaha It didnt hurt all that bad just wrecked a helmet i really liked.

off topic to the op sorry
I used to do a shitlode of single track offroad trail riding.. anyway a buddy says to me he says after we get back from a loop "how do you do that one wheel thing on the downhills?" I say what ? he says on those steepest rutted downhills your rear tire floats about 6" off the dirt !
:p I didn't even know it was happening

D4N63R said:
If you high side a bike from locking up the front wheel at 20-30KPH while going strait none the less you sir are a champion crasher... Ive watched a lot of people lock up there front end, i have yet to see one high side from it (even at race pace)

I thought I was safe, i was good at just jumping over the bars if needed when i was trying to get really high up on the super moto. Then one day i caught the bars with my foot... I keep my stoppies pretty calm since then hahahaha It didnt hurt all that bad just wrecked a helmet i really liked.

Going straight on pavement in rain, prolly some diesel fuel on it), front brake locked the wheel, maybe not a high side, but I ended up flat on my stomach, doing about 40 MPH, i have no scars, but the bike does. It wasn't a low side, maybe better called a side side???? At any rate I was thrown to the left and the bike was spinning down the road on it's left side....

Why does the Harley crowd in general eschew front braking? The worry about falling.

I use my front brakes, but the wheel will lock up but on my CB360 and NH750 long before any stoppie occurs...I can get a nice screeching front wheel stop, especially with the stainless lines. The feel and modulation capabilities are great with the better lines.

I always wanted to be a champion, but not a crash one... 8)

xb33bsa said:
off topic to the op sorry
I used to do a shitlode of single track offroad trail riding.. anyway a buddy says to me he says after we get back from a loop "how do you do that one wheel thing on the downhills?" I say what ? he says on those steepest rutted downhills your rear tire floats about 6" off the dirt !
:p I didn't even know it was happening

I can only get it to happen by accident on dirt, i spent a solid 30 minutes one day trying to do them on the dirt bike with no luck...

mydlyfkryzis said:
Going straight on pavement in rain, prolly some diesel fuel on it), front brake locked the wheel, maybe not a high side, but I ended up flat on my stomach, doing about 40 MPH, i have no scars, but the bike does. It wasn't a low side, maybe better called a side side???? At any rate I was thrown to the left and the bike was spinning down the road on it's left side....

Why does the Harley crowd in general eschew front braking? The worry about falling.

I use my front brakes, but the wheel will lock up but on my CB360 and NH750 long before any stoppie occurs...I can get a nice screeching front wheel stop, especially with the stainless lines. The feel and modulation capabilities are great with the better lines.

I always wanted to be a champion, but not a crash one... 8)

that would make sense, i just dont see the bike snapping you over the top side as much as sliding the rear. The harley thing is a whole other thread! ha

and hey now, there are people who make a living at being really good crashers! hhahaha

I will refer back to this if I end up finding a '73.

mydlyfkryzis said:
The Disk will work a little better when stainless lines and new EBC pads are used. MY CB360 (same brakes) was a horrible stopper until I put the stainless lines and better pads on.

Doh! Sorry. I feel like I just told a friend to do something dangerous and his mom caught me and reamed me out..
D4N63R said:
Then one day i caught the bars with my foot... I keep my stoppies pretty calm since then hahahaha It didnt hurt all that bad just wrecked a helmet i really liked.

you are also obviously not looking at any thing original if you are gonna swap out the braking system. sometimes it gets down to cost as well. The swap out may cost you and the parts you take off not that sale able.

I was only really interested in swapping to disc if they were much safer or something. I think I am happily convinced to buy a bike I find in my desired year range and put the best brake equipment I can in the existing setup.

Manufacturers have a team of teams engineering these things, generally they are pretty safe and effective as designed.

Back
Top Bottom