Directional tread patterns - myth or fact

eklimek

Mounting directional tread tires.

In brief, upon discovering a tire mounted in reverse to prescribed rotation what should one do? This raises the salient question what does directional tread actually do? Note, this is not a thread about off road, agriculatrual or asymmetric tire construction. There is a lack of objectivity and scarcity of motorcycle data.

Common sources say the following.

http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=980968

"Increased tread depth of the circumferential grooves in tires is an important contributor to wet skid resistance. Directional tires are now becoming a common design because the groove pattern gives the impression of more aggressive traction capabilities. However, the directional requirement makes tire rotation for maintenance purposes more difficult by requiring a dismount and remount to maintain the correct direction of rotation. This paper reports on a study that was designed to test reversed rotation with regard to braking and lane changing on wet pavements. The study was designed to address a specific issue involving the right front reversed application of a directional tire, as well as developing data from motion measuring and global positioning system instrumentation. Nineteen combinations of tire sets were tested at three test locations. Findings show that mounting one or more directional tires opposite the intended direction of rotation did not appear to adversely affect braking or maneuvering on wet pavements."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... echid=188&

"So what is our conclusion? On dry roads and in moderate rain at city speeds, even though they always look cool, directional tires do not provide much of a wet traction advantage. However for drivers who spend a lot of their driving time on the highways, interstates or at higher speeds (during race track drivers schools and lapping days), directional tires will better resist hydroplaning.

Some question the underlying construction of the tire playing a role.. such as ..

"The other big reason for noting wheel direction has to do with the manufacturing process. The tread rubber is initially a flat strip that's cut to length, at an angle, and then spliced together with the two ends overlapping, creating a hoop. Under acceleration, a tire mounted backwards will try to peel back this splice. The opposite is true for the front wheel, where directional forces are reversed under hard braking."

In my opinion, this is backwards reasoning. All tires are built in the same manner. Why are not all tires directional? Simply because they do not delaminate if run in "contrary" directions.

We can see tread patterns of lugs and voids that appear directional, but so far I found no evidence that reverse rotation makes a measurable difference. Also there is no mention of tire construction implying any directional significance. Asymmetry of tire curb side vs inside is a separate issue.

In fact, this was explored in a law suit in which it was alleged that directional tires mounted in reverse contributed to a (automobile) motor vehicle accident.

There was no evidence before the courts of a measurable effect on tire traction resulting from such a mounting error in an automobile.

No similar trial for a motorcycle was found in my search. (I welcome any evidence relevent to this.)

The measurable differences in hydroplaning seem to relate to coefficient of adhesion, pavement fluid depth, fluid viscosity, fluod density, tire inflation pressure, tire load (normal to the track), tire tread pattern (Size of lugs and voids) and tire tread depth.

As far as I can find, the rotational appearance of tread pattern seems to have more to do with effective marketing suggesting "higher designed performance" is thereby attained.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Pvsv78x ... ty&f=false

As it turns out the literature on hydroplaning is extensive and much of it begins with engineering study of landing on wet runways. It has a more specific title of elastohydrodynamic tyre-road interaction. (Tyre is tire)

The 1960 video documents tests of aircraft tires to examine hydroplaning

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFOoFkYGqL8

Dynamic hydroplaning occurs when the amount of water encountered on the roadway by a rotating tire exceeds the combined drainage capacity of the tread pattern of the tire and the texture of the pavement. The mass and viscosity of the water cause it to resist being displaced from between the tire and the pavement, thus generating lift forces on the tire which reduce tire contact with the pavement. When the lift forces are sufficient to completely support the load on the tire, contact with the road is no longer made and full dynamic hydroplaning is said to occur.

Prior to the onset of full tire hydroplaning, a transitional condition occurs in which the surface contact area of the tire footprint is decreased as the vehicle speed is increased. This condition is sometimes referred to as “partial hydroplaning” and it is associated with a reduction in the effective friction coefficient.

The capacity of the tire tread grooves for water flow is a factor in limiting the development of partial hydroplaning. Thus, at a given operating condition on wet pavement, the effective friction coefficient is reduced by worn tires.
The following physical factors are involved in the occurrence of hydroplaning of automobile tires:
• Tire construction type, size and aspect ratio
• Tire loading
• Tread depth
• Tread pattern
• Inflation pressure
• Pavement surface texture
• Water depth
• Length of path in standing water
• Vehicle speed

http://www.mchenrysoftware.com/board/vi ... ?f=9&t=282

Interesting that tire pressure increases the rigidity of the tread in contact with the surface and gives greater resistance to the inward buckling of the tread by fluid attempting to lift the leading edge. Increased air pressure also tends to reduce tread groove closure. The grooves are necessary to allow water to be redistributed from the contact patch.

Equations for predicting hydroplaning from speed are empirically derived best curve fit equations. The fundamental mechanism is not understood and predicting tire deformation by the thin film of fluid during hydroplaning is far from complete.

Page 83
Surface texture versus skidding: measurements frictional aspects, and safety ...
By J. G. Rose, American society for testing and materials. Committee E-17 on skid resistance, ASTM.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=CRDEneS ... ne&f=false

Only one reference from a truck tire manufacturer said,

"Once directional tires are worn greater than 50%, there is generally no negative effect of running them in a direction opposite to the indicated direction of rotation.

Operating directional tires from new to 50% worn in the opposite direction of that indicated on the tire will result in the premature onset of irregular wear, excessive noise levels, and significantly reduced tread life."

http://www.aircrafttyres.com/manuals/Mi ... a_book.pdf

Overall one sees that marketing literature mentions the benefits of "directional" tread.

The current market for airplane tires does not mention tread patterns of a directional nature.

At least one other writer seems skeptical in noting inconsistent tread directionality among manufacturers of motorcycle tires.

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=035

I've always been under the impression that the design of the lap joints were done in a way that the tire resists belt shifting more effectively making it a directional.
This quote kind of reinforces that...

"Operating directional tires from new to 50% worn in the opposite direction of that indicated on the tire will result in the premature onset of irregular wear, excessive noise levels, and significantly reduced tread life."

Speaking in car terms only.
A directional tire prevents a proper tire rotation, either "X" or "Modified X" (where the drive tires are moved straight ant the undriven are crossed)
This keeps the tires always on the same side of the vehicle and shortens tread life, epecially on the outter edges.

That is unless you dismount / remount at least two of the tires on each rotation.

The way I understand it the tire is wrapped, like a clock spring, so the rear tire wants to wind up under acceleration where the most force is applied to it while the front tire is wrapped the opposite way so the wind up is done under braking where the most force is applied. The reverse looking tread pattern on the front is so that water will channel from the edge of the tire to the center so it deflects water from the side wall during cornering. The opposite pattern in the rear will deflect water from the center to the outside under acceleration. Early in the 2013 F1 season Pirelli had made some reverse wrapped tires so they were always trying to unwind the clock spring and several cars had massive tire failures during the race. This was an extreme example but a good one to show the effects of wrapping the wrong way.

japsche

No, I did this because I suspect directional tires are a sales pitch with no advantage over nondirectional tires and do not have a solid rationale for their use. As noted above there is no measurable disadvantage to mounting ( an automobile tire) in reverse direction.

Unidirectional mounting could also be merely a marketing strategy. Put an arrow on the tire, then surely it means something? In this case maybe only more profit.

I am not sure about the post regarding F1 tires. It may be mythology from the manufacturer to explain a bad tire. The data is likely corporate secret and the explanation may be nothing more than public relations spin mystifying the public with the arcane knowledge known only to the wizard. After all if tires are laminated in a unidirectional manner, why are not all tires installed unidirectionally? The answer is, I think, good tires do not delaminate regardless of direction of rotation.

My first job in engineering was with Michelin at their truck plant in Spartanburs, SC- so this goes back a while- but the most important details you need to research on tires is tire geometry, contact patch, and material chemistry. It's all about frictional contact mechanics, little of which is determined by the direction of the tread. Hydroplaning is hardly relevant with motorcycle tires because of the shape and size of their contact patch. It's the length of the contact patch which is the most relevant factor to hydroplaning. Also grove closure is another key component. The grooves can be completely perpendicular to the tire direction, with no angle, and they won't hydroplane. They'll ride and sound like shit, but they won't hydroplane. Road surface is also key.

deviant

Thanks. In your experience as an engineer in the tire company, do you have any information to suggest that tire internal construction has a unidirectional significance? I was not able to find any information to support that possibility. I think treads are attached to the carcass without concern to direction of rotation of the carcass. Is that so?

eklimek said:
deviant

Thanks. In your experience as an engineer in the tire company, do you have any information to suggest that tire internal construction has a unidirectional significance? I was not able to find any information to support that possibility. I think treads are attached to the carcass without concern to direction of rotation of the carcass. Is that so?
You are basically correct. Tires are cast in three-part molds. The belted section is wound and coated first, then the treaded layer over that with a bonding layer in-between. The belted layers are usually two, but can more ply that criss-cross. Oftentimes especially with trucks, the side wall is cast with a different compound then the tread. The tread layer is not cast in a specific direction as it's a hot, viscous solution injected into the mold. The nubs you see on new tires are where the rubber enter the flues that expel air during casting. When tires delaminate under load it has more to due with inconsistencies in the bonding layer, chemistry of the rubber or variation in casting temperature. My description is the layman version. Here is a patent application from Michelin that explains much of this: http://www.google.com/patents/US6640861. I left there in '93, but things weren't that far off then to this method.

eklimek said:
japsche

No, I did this because I suspect directional tires are a sales pitch with no advantage over nondirectional tires and do not have a solid rationale for their use. As noted above there is no measurable disadvantage to mounting ( an automobile tire) in reverse direction.

Unidirectional mounting could also be merely a marketing strategy. Put an arrow on the tire, then surely it means something? In this case maybe only more profit.

I am not sure about the post regarding F1 tires. It may be mythology from the manufacturer to explain a bad tire. The data is likely corporate secret and the explanation may be nothing more than public relations spin mystifying the public with the arcane knowledge known only to the wizard. After all if tires are laminated in a unidirectional manner, why are not all tires installed unidirectionally? The answer is, I think, good tires do not delaminate regardless of direction of rotation.
It was not one bad tire but several that came apart during the race. Keep in mind the testing you posted was for every day type automotive/motorcycle tires and not the extreme speed abuse an F1 tire goes through. There was no question as to why the tires failed.

o1marc said:
It was not one bad tire but several that came apart during the race. Keep in mind the testing you posted was for every day type automotive/motorcycle tires and not the extreme speed abuse an F1 tire goes through. There was no question as to why the tires failed.
The Pirelli's had to do with loss of tear strength. F1 and Pirelli were fiddling with compounds in order to force teams to have to consider different strategies. The opted for softer rubber. Generally speaking, in order to soften a tire you go with less carbon black in the formula which in turn reduces the tear strength for the tire. Since they were running steel belts in those tires, rubber wasn't making a good bond. Pirelli blamed teams for running left side tires on the right side (essentially in reverse), but they were just grasping at air. They went too far in manipulating the formulas to find a softer tire and F1 rules don't work in favor of a tire manufacturer's ability to test. My understanding is Red Bull pulled out of testing altogether because of the rules. I personally don't buy Pirelli's argument that mounting the tires in reverse had any effect.

I'm not booked learned as you boys, but I had an experience a few years back. I left my wife's Harley at a shop to have new tires mounted. Upon picking the bike up, I was in a hurry and didn't inspect the bike, headed for the freeway and immediately noticed the bike wasn't handling correctly.... I figured I needed to scrub in the tires, but after a few miles it was obvious this wasn't going to work, the bike seemed loose and all over the place. Took it back to the shop and we quickly figured out the tires were on wrong. I don't need a bunch of science or reports to know it didn't work. I think, at least reputable tires are made a certain way for a reason, and putting them on wrong, nearly cost me my life. Now, back to the smart guys...

AprillliaBill

Good that you didn't let her take it home. I wonder if the tech messed up more than the direction of rotation? It would be a good coverup to dismiss faulty installation and blame it in contrary rotation.

eklimek said:
AprillliaBill

Good that you didn't let her take it home. I wonder if the tech messed up more than the direction of rotation? It would be a good coverup to dismiss faulty installation and blame it in contrary rotation.
He did say it was a Harley ;D

Just curious...

Has anyone contacted any actual tire manufacturers? I bet that most would reply and give a good base for further discussion.

VonYinzer said:
Just curious...

Has anyone contacted any actual tire manufacturers? I bet that most would reply and give a good base for further discussion.
Not necessarily. They guard trade secrets really closely. Getting real data is rare. You'll get more out of the NHTSA than you will any manufacturer. This may have information that you guys want. It's a 707 page pdf document from the NHTSA that goes over every thing you'll ever need to know about a pneumatic tire:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2Fstaticfiles%2Fsafercar%2Fpdf%2FPneumaticTire_HS-810-561.pdf&ei=RQwVU6fyNOae2gX0oIHwCg&usg=AFQjCNFP7z68TbA8W2Df1q8J0hT1SREPjA&sig2=EzU8ja7SwgVcIdcutsTmjw&bvm=bv.62286460,d.b2I

In the darksiding world a lot of guys run rear MC tyres up on the front (it's called "double darksiding"). The jury is out on which way to run the tyre (directional or reversed). Reports from both sides of the camp don't indicate any issues with longevity or handling running them either way from what I've heard. However, if you ask a tyre shop or the manufacturer the blanket response is to run it reversed if you are using a rear tyre on the front.

I'm currently running a rear BT45 in 150/80-16 on the front of my VL directionally. I'm probably going to reverse it this year because there is some road camber wear on the RHS which isn't evident on the LHS.

The reason I ran it directional was because the tread pattern that way was a better match to the Dunlop it replaced.

hillsy said:
In the darksiding world a lot of guys run rear MC tyres up on the front (it's called "double darksiding"). The jury is out on which way to run the tyre (directional or reversed). Reports from both sides of the camp don't indicate any issues with longevity or handling running them either way from what I've heard. However, if you ask a tyre shop or the manufacturer the blanket response is to run it reversed if you are using a rear tyre on the front.

I'm currently running a rear BT45 in 150/80-16 on the front of my VL directionally. I'm probably going to reverse it this year because there is some road camber wear on the RHS which isn't evident on the LHS.

The reason I ran it directional was because the tread pattern that way was a better match to the Dunlop it replaced.

I always heard darksiding was running car tires on a bike????

ApriliaBill said:
I always heard darksiding was running car tires on a bike? ???

Yes - on the rear. Running a MC rear tyre on the front is also considered darksiding.

EDIT: just to be clear I'm running a CT on the back as well.

Back
Top Bottom