Your favorite battery?

jammer415

Been Around the Block
I’m looking to update to a better (smaller/lighter) battery on my 72 CB450, and wondering if anyone can suggest some good battery options? I’ve researched a lot and would love some second opinions.

Current electrical upgrades:

H4 headlight upgrade (w/ LED bulb draws 20 watts)
New Rectifier/Regulator (Common Motor Collective)
LED turn signals and brake light

I’m making a custom battery box, and will be installing the Pamco digital advancer that I’d like to tuck in there so need all the room I can get... So would prefer something way smaller than the stock acid battery. What kind of ampage can I get away with?

My favorite battery was the OEM Yuasa in my FZ1. It actually lasted 14 years. I now run a Scorpion AGM and it's doing good, but it's nowhere near 14 years old.

My bike has the 7Ah battery. (LFX07L2-BS12)

It weighs 483 gm (1.06 lb). CCA 102.
Size: Length 4.45" Width 2.28" Height 3.50" and can be mounted in any orientation.

Never had any problems with it, even after the bike hasn't been ridden for some weeks.

They have an odd characteristic though. Sometimes nothing happens when the ignition is turned on, you need to turn on the headlight or blinkers; then it starts no problem. It acts like it needs some current drain to wake it up!

Crazy

hooligan998 said:
My favorite battery was the OEM Yuasa in my FZ1. It actually lasted 14 years. I now run a Scorpion AGM and it's doing good, but it's nowhere near 14 years old.

Wow 14 years!! That sounds like a world record!

I’m guessing it was a lead acid battery?

stroker crazy said:
My bike has the 7Ah battery. (LFX07L2-BS12)

It weighs 483 gm (1.06 lb). CCA 102.
Size: Length 4.45" Width 2.28" Height 3.50" and can be mounted in any orientation.

Never had any problems with it, even after the bike hasn't been ridden for some weeks.

They have an odd characteristic though. Sometimes nothing happens when the ignition is turned on, you need to turn on the headlight or blinkers; then it starts no problem. It acts like it needs some current drain to wake it up!

Crazy

Cool. This sounds like exactly what I’m looking for... and it’s ~$80 directly from Shorai (so not too bad).

Are you running it in a CB450?
Do you have any other electrical upgrades that lower the draw from the battery? (LED lights? Regulator/rectifier? H4 headlight?)

It's being used in a SkyTeam 'Ace'.

I installed the battery in August 2013. Started with conventional electrics; since last year all the lights have been changed to LED.

Crazy

I have an LFX09L2-BS12 here that I used in my kick-start only XS650 cafe.

Honestly I'm not sure how good it is. I just checked the voltage and it's at 13.4v sitting here after having been on the Shorai charger a day or two ago. I've tried to keep it alive and have had it for at least 5 years.

I have no use for it and could send it your way to try out. Let me know - just cover the cost of postage from Toronto Canada and you can have it.

I won a Shorai battery 5 years ago (July 2012) and they asked me what bike I had. I naturally asked for a battery for my BMW R75 which meant they sent me the biggest baddest Shorai manufactured - the US$330 LFX36L3-BS12 :)

It still works but the charger consistently reports that it has dropped below voltage. I replaced it this spring with a massive Deka EXT30L which is the OEM size for the bike. It allows me to use all my Optimate chargers I have mounted on the walls of my garage (somehow ended up with 4 chargers).

The bike still has a hard time turning over sometimes, which suggests my starter motor is failing - the magnets fall off grinding against the inside of the motor slowing it down. So maybe I didn't need a new battery but after almost 6 years it was time.

The large Shorai is on my bench and I plan to send it back to Shorai for testing. It shouldn't fail 5.5 years in and I've got the fancy Shorai charger/maintainer.

Tim said:
I have an LFX09L2-BS12 here that I used in my kick-start only XS650 cafe.

Honestly I'm not sure how good it is. I just checked the voltage and it's at 13.4v sitting here after having been on the Shorai charger a day or two ago. I've tried to keep it alive and have had it for at least 5 years.

I have no use for it and could send it your way to try out. Let me know - just cover the cost of postage from Toronto Canada and you can have it.

I won a Shorai battery 5 years ago (July 2012) and they asked me what bike I had. I naturally asked for a battery for my BMW R75 which meant they sent me the biggest baddest Shorai manufactured - the US$330 LFX36L3-BS12 :)

It still works but the charger consistently reports that it has dropped below voltage. I replaced it this spring with a massive Deka EXT30L which is the OEM size for the bike. It allows me to use all my Optimate chargers I have mounted on the walls of my garage (somehow ended up with 4 chargers).

The bike still has a hard time turning over sometimes, which suggests my starter motor is failing - the magnets fall off grinding against the inside of the motor slowing it down. So maybe I didn't need a new battery but after almost 6 years it was time.

The large Shorai is on my bench and I plan to send it back to Shorai for testing. It shouldn't fail 5.5 years in and I've got the fancy Shorai charger/maintainer.

Omg wow!! That would be awesome!!! How much would shipping to San Francisco, CA cost?? (Zip code 94119)

Also, I’m trying to pinpoint an issue where my 450 starts with the electric starter no prob, but won’t even come close when kicking over with the kickstart..

What could be causing this??

redrover said:
Omg wow!! That would be awesome!!! How much would shipping to San Francisco, CA cost?? (Zip code 94119)

Ballpark is $20. If you're interested I can box it up.

Back
Top Bottom