1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"

Our weekly bike night was a complete cluster fuck this week. I was all excited since my new bar end mirrors were waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home but never got them installed. When I went to cut the end off my throttle grip I realized the throttle tube wasn't all the way onto the bars. This was a huge friggin problem since my brake master cylinder is already almost touching the handle bar risers as it is so there's no room to slide the throttle any further onto the bars. I then spent the rest of the night digging around for some old bars to chop up and some proper OD steel to use as slugs so I can add another couple of inches to the end of my bars and get everything welded on nice and straight. By the time I found all the parts I needed and starting cutting the old bars up for extensions it was too late and we'd had a few too many beers to start welding. :mad: On the plus side the slugs I'm using should double as bar end weights to prevent some vibration. ;) Hopefully we'll get the bars welded up this weekend and I'll get some pics taken and posted up for anyone else that might find themselves in the same boat.

Finally a productive bike night. Only one picture unfortunately of the handle bars after I welded extensions for some bar end mirrors. We also got the exhaust mount welded on so I could get it installed. Unfortunately I'd already taken apart all the controls so I could weld up the handle bars so I didn't get it started tonight but hopefully this weekend.

On top of a good night or progress I also found out I'm getting a new project bike. I haven't seen it yet but my buddy who found it says it's a Kawasaki 400 triple so it sounds like it could be a unique project. I don't know what year or condition yet but I'm never one to turn down a free bike. ;) Hopefully I'll get it picked up on sunday and I'll get some pics posted.

Anyway here's the one photo I got tonight of one side of the handle bar extension.

I am 6' 2" and those rear-set locations look sooo gravy!! I cant wait to make some up just like that

Hey man i was just curious how exactly you got the bend on the front ''cross bar" on your seat pan. It looks really nice.

gizmoe639 said:
Hey man i was just curious how exactly you got the bend on the front ''cross bar" on your seat pan. It looks really nice.

That front cross bar is actually a piece of electrical conduit since the steel tubing I was using for the rest of the seat was too stiff to bend in such a short span. I bent the conduit in the pipe bender then flattened the ends with the bench vice and cut the ends at an angle with the angle grinder and a cut off wheel to give the cross bar a slight forward lean when welded to the rest of the seat frame.

Oh man, from one KZ enthusiast to another, the KH400 triple is definitely at the top of my list for the next project...such sweet little scoots...

valvesprung said:
Oh man, from one KZ enthusiast to another, the KH400 triple is definitely at the top of my list for the next project...such sweet little scoots...

Yeah the more I research them the more excited I am to go pick it up. Not much in the way of parts on Ebay for them though. I can get brand new stock pistons and rings for $70 or so with shipping. ;D Might have to rethink the SR250 bobber project next winter and do the KH400 instead.

noahdog said:
Yeah the more I research them the more excited I am to go pick it up. Not much in the way of parts on Ebay for them though. I can get brand new stock pistons and rings for $70 or so with shipping. ;D Might have to rethink the SR250 bobber project next winter and do the KH400 instead.

I had the earlier version S3 400 triple, 1975. With a set of chambers they have the sweetest burble, far better than any twin two stroke. With the standard gear pattern and rubber mounted engine they were great rides. They'd smoke anything short of an RD. None of the 550 and smaller four strokes could touch them. I wish I still had mine.

The wives went out to the bar for a girls night last night so my buddy Dave and I decided to have an impromptu 2nd bike night of the week. I got the rest of my handle bar extensions smoothed out and mounted along with the new bar end mirrors. I also got the exhaust bolted back on and got to fire the bike up for the first time this year. ;D The exhaust has been off the last couple of months while I chopped the frame and added rearsets. She surprisingly fired right up even after sitting for over 3 months. Now I need to get the new signals all wired up and get prepped for paint. I should be riding again in a couple of weeks. I'll probably take it for a spin around the neighborhood next wednesday with or without signals so I can get my fix in before I pull the tank and empty it to get it ready for paint.

I know I know, I haven't updated in forever but there hasn't been much to update. I finally got a chance to take the bike for spin to check the positioning of the new rearsets and handle bars. I like the riding position with the new rearsets but I gotta say the handle bars SUCK!!! The only way I could get the master cylinder to clear the fairing without bottoming out on the top of the shocks was to have the drag bars pointing down which put unbearable pressure on the hands between the thumb and forefinger. I'm afraid the only way to keep the fairing and still use my stock brake master cylinder is either absolutely straight drag bars or some adjustable clip ons like these.... http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-738/Clip-dsh-on-High-Rise-Handlebars/Detail The straight bars are much cheaper but I really like the clip ons and I think they would be much more comfortable. I guess I need to sell some more parts so I can afford the Tarozzi clip ons. :(

Back
Top Bottom