Brake Swap Clearance Question

adventurco

Nick Ol' Eye
DTT BOTM WINNER
I’m swapping the front brake on the 360 over for an EX500 rotor and CBR600r caliper. What kind of clearance do I need between the OD of the rotor (A) and the inside of the caliper (B)?

Also, what kind of clearance do I need between the stationary pad and rotor?

Attachments

• Image1518124216.230514.jpg
    Image1518124216.230514.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • Image1518124291.909913.jpg
    Image1518124291.909913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
Having the pistons / pads sit properly over the face of the disc is ideally what you are after. Other than that, I'd say you wouldn't want too much less than about 4 or 5mm - especially with a floating caliper.

For the A-B clearance I bend a short length of wire coat hanger and tape it to the disk and rest the caliper on that. Check to see that the pads are square to the disk and are not too far in or out. They will usually end up with s 2-3mm unswept area at the outer edge on stock bikes.

With a sliding caliper, I would suggest a couple of mm clearance is sufficient. That way, you should run out of fixed pad before you start to wear away the caliper. With opposed piston calipers, I like them square and sitting right on the centerline of caliper and disk.

teazer said:
With a sliding caliper, I would suggest a couple of mm clearance is sufficient. That way, you should run out of fixed pad before you start to wear away the caliper. With opposed piston calipers, I like them square and sitting right on the centerline of caliper and disk.

So for this caliper (sliding caliper) a 1-2 mm spacer between the fixed pad and inside of the rotor? Do I need to add more clearance since it appears that the pads are slightly worn?

A/B clearance makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom