Doing Research For Tracker Build Using Kawi Ninja 650 (Probably)

johnu

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Ok guys as the title suggests I'm trying to plan a tracker build using a Ninja ex650 and want to get as much info as I can before I even purchase a donor bike. If I was independantly wealthy I would use a modern Triumph Boneville but that's not in the budget (actually my sons budget).
So I will be leaving the engine stock at least initially. I definitely want to use 19" wheels with dirt track tires so I need suggestions for wheels that might work. I would really like to convert it to twin shock rather than the mono I can build my own swing arm. I may change out the forks also. What kind of geometry do dirt track bikes typically run and would that work ok for a street bike? I will build my own tank and seat also exhaust so that's not an issue.
Inspiration for this build would be any of the Mule motorcycles tracker builds!
Has anyone seen or built a tracker from one of these Kawi's?
I've attached a pic of what I hope to start out with.

Attachments

• hHYTmIi.jpg
    hHYTmIi.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
Three Ninja 650's finished in the top 10 at the HD TT at Daytona last Thursday. The circuit is being dominated by Indian FTR's, which were built specifically for flat track, so I'd say the Ninja compete pretty damn well.

ted%2Brichard%2Bweirbach%2Bsf%2Bmile%2BI%2Bbefore%2Bstart%2Bof%2Bnational%2B5-29-2016.jpg

Here is one built of a versys 650 which is the same basic donor with longer suspension travel.

1732-200318095012.jpeg

Crosley kawasaki won the championship two years ago. I think the biggest challenge you will face is coming to terms with the stock frame. That giant chunk of cast aluminum where the swingarm pivot goes is very visually dominating. I know that shortened R6 conventional forks are a common choice for budget racers.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 817
You'll have frame issues with an attempt to go to twin shocks.

All the bikes posted, have purpose built frames.

J-Rod10 said:
You'll have frame issues with an attempt to go to twin shocks.

All the bikes posted, have purpose built frames.

You are probably right about that! This bike has I think a stock frame with a custom swing arm.

Attachments

• ninja650flattracker.jpg
    ninja650flattracker.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 786
Thanks for all the help so far :) I keep thinking about the wheels and I wonder if I could use MX hubs laced to 19" rims? Only issue I see there is it would have to be single disc on the front.

canyoncarver said:
I love the build idea, why twin shocks though?
Just thought that it might take a bit of the modern edge off of the bike! It's crazy my last build was a twin shock originally and I converted it to mono ::)

You could lace a dual disc front hub to a 19" flanged alloy wheel without much issue. Though, you'd add some work in to the equation with getting the brake calipers lined up and all.

J-Rod10 said:
You could lace a dual disc front hub to a 19" flanged alloy wheel without much issue. Though, you'd add some work in to the equation with getting the brake calipers lined up and all.
I just need to find out which bikes have spoked wheels and twin discs, not too many I would imagine.

I am open to suggestions of other donor bikes which would make good trackers, I can modify frames easily so I'm not looking for something just to bolt parts on. Main criteria is twin cylinder parallel or V and must be cheap (under $1.5k) not interested in xs650 though.

Grab a hub from a Honda CB, 70's era. They are 6 hole pattern that is shared with more modern rotors from Ducati and Yamaha. That would allow you to run dual disc up front, though for a tracker, go with a big single disc and a good 6 piston caliper. That will be plenty of stopping power, especially since you are running dirt track tires, you dont want TOO much brake.

FT500 is a great tracker base and once was a popular flat track donor. Personally, I prefer the thumper route, and an FT500 is one at the top of my list for a next build.

That kz750 or the vt500 looks like a good option. The frames on both of those look real easy to work with.

irk miller said:
FT500 is a great tracker base and once was a popular flat track donor. Personally, I prefer the thumper route, and an FT500 is one at the top of my list for a next build.

I like singles, I race one :) but my boy wants a twin so that's the route we'll go :)

I saw a nice RD350 tracker in Daytona a few years back. The builder used Harley 40 spoke aluminum hubs laced to 19" rims. Easy to find and pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom