My 1972 Hodaka Ace 100 Cafe/Race project w/Updated pics 1/17/09

coolatula

Been Around the Block
Hello all,thought some of you might enjoy seeing something a bit uh..different? ;D

This is an excerpt from a post I did on a couple of other forums.

My bike is NOT going to be a 100 point restoration/show bike. I want it to be styled after a real garage built,shoestring budget racing effort. Almost all the modifications on the bike I'm doing/fabbing myself.

I could bling this thing out since it's so tiny and simple,but these were bikes built for the masses and as play bikes. It just so happen that these things started winning races and NATIONAL races at that!

This was of course due to some very dedicated individuals who took the Hodaka brand farther than anyone could dream of especially for a little "Playbike"

Of course any and all comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

Here is few mock-up pics. 8)
Picture_0652.jpg

Picture_0651.jpg

Picture_0648.jpg

Picture_0647.jpg

Picture_0622.jpg

Like I said this thing is tiny.
I'm 5'3"/160 lb.,so you can see just how small this bike is!
Picture_0623.jpg

Picture_0626.jpg

Here's the baby Ninja 250 and the Hodaka for size reference: :eek:
Picture_0640.jpg

Picture_0641.jpg

Picture_0642.jpg

It's also pretty darn light or else I'm just super strong! Uh...um... no..It's just really light! ;)
Picture_0634.jpg

Re: My 1972 Hodaka Ace 100 Cafe/Race project w/pics!

That looks like a BLAST!

My ONLY suggestion... mini speedo...the one on there is TOO BIG for the bike :D

Welcome!

NICE... i love the small bikes (as he moves his GS1100 around the corner).

I agree with Dan on the gauge. My only comment is the forks seem awful long, almost like they should be pushed up in the bars or something. Are those of the same bike? or were they off something else. It just looks like it makes the bike front end up a little high (the rake like)

Nice build. How much do you figure she weights?

Wicked, that looks sweet. Must be a blast to ride. Love the tank.

Agree on the speedo.
Agree on lowering those forks in the trees.

And please lets see some before pics!

Beautiful bike!

Fear My Twin said:
Agree on the speedo.
Agree on lowering those forks in the trees.

And please lets see some before pics!

Beautiful bike!
Yeah for the pics I was in a hurry to get the bike together as I had parts for it that I wanted to finally see on there such as the rims,Wombat tank,etc. I just forgot to put the tubes back up higher in the trees. They are the stock forks with the front now having a 18" dia, rim instead of the stock 19".

Some before/other previous mock up pics from about a year ago or so.
Sorry don't have any of it as a stock machine.

Note fork tubes raised up in trees where they belong in these early pics!
100_6107.jpg

100_6096.jpg

100_6101.jpg

Druro said:

I agree with Dan on the gauge. My only comment is the forks seem awful long, almost like they should be pushed up in the bars or something. Are those of the same bike? or were they off something else. It just looks like it makes the bike front end up a little high (the rake like)

I thought of about putting a mini gauge on it or at least lowering the stock one down. If my bike was equipped for it I'd run a tach only.
I have a tach,but it's a LCD mini tach that I'll hide somewhat as it very small and not very "period" looking at all.

I'd say dry weight right now judge by picking it up(my digital home scale is broke) is about 130-140 lb.?

That's really cool....I'm thinking of transforming the '74 Husky 450 I have into something similar/road race bike. I have a shit load of Husky stuff laying around.

Nate said:
That's really cool....I'm thinking of transforming the '74 Husky 450 I have into something similar/road race bike. I have a shit load of Husky stuff laying around.

That sounds like it would make for a pretty mean bike. I had a Honda CR450 Elsinore MX bike and it was pretty mean,but it's biggest flaw was it only had a 4 spd. gear box. They fixed that with the CR480. My CR would dig a trench as long as you wanted(dared ?) to hold the throttle open.

Druro said:

I feel your pain as I sold my 1988 FZR1000 this last Spring. Man what a pig for a sport bike.
It weighed about 540lbs or so wet and for someone my size it was a PITA to move it around,but oh on a long stretch of hi-way it could really reel in the horizon and put a big grin on my face!

coolatula said:
I feel your pain as I sold my 1988 FZR1000 this last Spring. Man what a pig for a sport bike.
It weighed about 540lbs or so wet and for someone my size it was a PITA to move it around,but oh on a long stretch of hi-way it could really reel in the horizon and put a big grin on my face!

I hear that.... damn, on the straight just roll on and hold on... DAMN.

First time out i knocked it into 2nd and gave a solid twist (not even WOT..) I found myself siting on the pillon :eek:

I"m working on getting it around corners with a GSXR suspension update. You can see it here:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

I dont know how I missed this thread but.. welcome!!..
Looks like you did a ton of work on the bike!!..

I have to say, I've never seen anyone actually lift a bike like that on their own!! ;D

I think the tailpiece could be a little longer - seat looks too short. But still I'm in the sweet ride category.

zixxerboy said:
I think the tailpiece could be a little longer - seat looks too short. But still I'm in the sweet ride category.

I agree about the seat. The decal on the rear of the tank should be scrapped too, it competes for with the other tank decal for title of focal point. Neat exhaust pipe too. Was that modded from stock or as is?

c

c said:
I agree about the seat. The decal on the rear of the tank should be scrapped too, it competes for with the other tank decal for title of focal point. Neat exhaust pipe too. Was that modded from stock or as is?

c

Yeah the seat could be longer and I built the seat pan before I found or put the rear piece on. I was intending to fab the rear section,but I really don't have the tools or knowledge to do it correctly and make it look good. I made the seating area part short as that was the look I was after.

I tried and tried to find something already made(aluminum) that would go on the rear,but all I could find that matched the diameter and shape was an old S.C.U.B.A. tank thats mocked up on there now and as you can see it doesn't stick out very far from the rear of the pan.

I thought about removing the sticker also,but it's a A.H.R.M.A. sticker(the inspection sticker below the Hodaka badge was already removed) that was on the last race bike it was on,so I thought that it would be kind of neat to keep it on there.

The exhaust pipe is 100% stock. The guard should be chrome,but it is very rusty and will be blasted along with the pipe and repainted.
Since it's a high pipe I will probably wrap part or most of it to protect my leg from the heat. It has a factory removable baffle that I will repack with either some Vance & Hines baffle material/kit or with stainless steel mesh depending how it sounds & effects the engine's performance.
I don't like loud bikes,but I don't want to choke any of the power out of it as this little bike needs every tiny bit it can get!

I just got back from a Goodwill store and was able to find a long,black leather coat for $5.00 for use as my seat material. It wasn't all one piece so it will have a couple of seams which I can work around I guess.
They had a really cool dark grayish colored womans coat but it was $99.99!! Holy Crap!

coolatula said:
Yeah the seat could be longer and I built the seat pan before I found or put the rear piece on. I was intending to fab the rear section,but I really don't have the tools or knowledge to do it correctly and make it look good. I made the seating area part short as that was the look I was after.

I tried and tried to find something already made(aluminum) that would go on the rear,but all I could find that matched the diameter and shape was an old S.C.U.B.A. tank thats mocked up on there now and as you can see it doesn't stick out very far from the rear of the pan.

I thought about removing the sticker also,but it's a A.H.R.M.A. sticker(the inspection sticker below the Hodaka badge was already removed) that was on the last race bike it was on,so I thought that it would be kind of neat to keep it on there.

The exhaust pipe is 100% stock. The guard should be chrome,but it is very rusty and will be blasted along with the pipe and repainted.
Since it's a high pipe I will probably wrap part or most of it to protect my leg from the heat. It has a factory removable baffle that I will repack with either some Vance & Hines baffle material/kit or with stainless steel mesh depending how it sounds & effects the engine's performance.
I don't like loud bikes,but I don't want to choke any of the power out of it as this little bike needs every tiny bit it can get!

I just got back from a Goodwill store and was able to find a long,black leather coat for $5.00 for use as my seat material. It wasn't all one piece so it will have a couple of seams which I can work around I guess.
They had a really cool dark grayish colored womans coat but it was $99.99!! Holy Crap!

I hear you on the sticker- my RG500 has RACE stickers on the knee indent on the tank- they don't look "right" there but it's totally period of the mid eightiesso it's a nice souvenir. That thing looks like it's going to be a huge giggle to ride.

There's nothing wrong with a fiberglass cowl, painted to match the frame, perhaps a stripe to match a colour on the tank. One last thing- consider blacking out the tank mounting tab so you the eye reads the clean shape of the tank.

c

Thanks ad good call on the tank mounting tabs. I agree they need blacked out. I need to remove so rust from the underside of the tank and paint it where the chrome has come off anyways. I'll paint the tank tabs at the same time.

On the seat I kinda just wanted to keep a old school ALL metal feel to it and that's why I decided to make my own seat pan out of thick aluminum instead of going the fiberglass route. My next Cafe bike(1974 CB200T) will be getting more plastic parts/bits on it. It will lend itself more to having that kind of material because I'm going to go for a more 1970's or so look to it.

Even though my Hodaka is ONLY two years older than my CB you would never know it and that's just fine by me.

coolatula said:
Thanks ad good call on the tank mounting tabs. I agree they need blacked out. I need to remove so rust from the underside of the tank and paint it where the chrome has come off anyways. I'll paint the tank tabs at the same time.

On the seat I kinda just wanted to keep a old school ALL metal feel to it and that's why I decided to make my own seat pan out of thick aluminum instead of going the fiberglass route. My next Cafe bike(1974 CB200T) will be getting more plastic parts/bits on it. It will lend itself more to having that kind of material because I'm going to go for a more 1970's or so look to it.

Even though my Hodaka is ONLY two years older than my CB you would never know it and that's just fine by me.

Whats the cylindrical component under the seat? Its it an oil tank or are you running premix?

c

c said:
Whats the cylindrical component under the seat? Its it an oil tank or are you running premix?

c

No,that's actually the factory tool kit canister. I run tank bags on my bikes so that's where I'll carry tools on this bike if I ever put it on the street.
I'm going to use the tool canister for little pre-measured bottles of pre-mix oil when the bike is done.

New pics 1/17/09
About all the pics I have at this time.

From 2-3 months ago shows the left side mount welded and getting blended in.
100_0284-2.jpg

This shows the seat,rear fender and right side rear set.
Note hole in rear set for rear brake pivot/rod.
100_0281.jpg

I am still working on inletting the rear fender into the rear part of the seat.
100_0282.jpg

One of the rear set mounts as it's getting the welds smoothed down
100_0273.jpg

KZ550LTD rear peg mounts I'm using as rear sets. Cheap and easily replaced if they break and I have a spare set and going to buy one or two more.
100_0279-1.jpg

Swing arm and frame under primer.
I need to get new pictures of the newly coated frame.
I love the look of the truck bed coating and it's not as heavy/thick looking like a commercial liner.
It is thicker than regular paint though and it hides imperfections much better.
100_0341.jpg

100_0343.jpg

Back
Top Bottom