October 2015 BOTM Voting!

Vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Vote! Nominees, post up more pics and stories. If anyone wants the photo in the poll changed just shoot me a message with a new one!

Click on the photos in the poll to open the build threads to explore each bike in detail - some awesome projects this month!

My build started out as an idea that me and two buddies had to take a road trip. We be poor so buying new bikes was outta the question so it became the challenge of taking non running non titled bikes and getting them legal and legit for a trip from Texas to the grand canyon via back roads and including the sights and roads that we wanted to see....

We have a thread about it on here

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66897.0

Anywho, I bought a 1980 cb750 outta a barn in Haskell tx. If you've never been to Haskell and I'm sure you haven't it isn't a big city.

It wasn't the platform I wanted but it was 200$ so that's that.

Kept it in the gargae for a few months while I planned and picked up parts. I knew early on I wanted to run a sohc tank and that I wasn't a fan of the stock frame lines on the dohc bike.

So cut and weld and shape and drink and all that, then I ended up with the bike I have now. It took about 8 months but we were simultaneously building the other bikes so it wasn't an constant focus

It started as a labor of love two days a week tue and thur. With an original target goal of running by July fourth. That was optimistic ha. By the end of the build it was every day after work until all hours and all day sat and sun. No longer a labor of love, now more a sick obsession...

I tried to use the best parts I could afford... It's all in the build thread. Made some aesthetic choices that weren't that popular ha!

The hardest part for me wasn't the metal shaping or getting the look right it was the electrical. It's not that complicated but I'm not that smart. The motogadget m unit was awesome in that respect

Tons of people helped me and no one got mad that we abandoned all aspects of life to lock up in the gargae so I got that going for me

Which is nice.

In the end we went and returned. It was... I dunno, the coolest thing I think I've ever been a part of.

The nomination is icing on the cake

Thanks to all the people that had input for me on here some of it was huge advice that saved hours or days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,658
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 458
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 447
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 443
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 446
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,603
I'll snap some better pics tomorrow.

I picked her up two at Barber 2013. She was missing the back end, frame and all. I let her sit for a while and figured out what I wanted to do. Something different, than your every day bolt a seat, bars, and call it a cafe. It's been a long process, to only have about 60 hours in the bike. It's been a pet project, a little here, little there. I had originally wanted to build it for an event called the Ozark Mountain Scramble. Bikes have to be vintage, less than $1,000 in the build. Starting with that goal, which I failed, allowed me to keep costs down significantly. I ended up with just under $1,500 in the bike as she sits now.

To begin; I'm really bad at keeping up a build thread. As I was doing it here and there whenever I had some free time, I didn't think a ton about taking a lot of pictures of the build.

Started with half a bike essentially. I picked up the rear end that I wanted, a Ducati 748 swinger with a Marchesini wheel in lieu of the stock Duc 3 spoke. Scored this on eBay for $350 shipped. Swinger, wheel, brake system, shock. Everything I needed. After I had my rear end, I moved to the subframe, and kind of built that around how, and where I wanted/needed the shock mounted. Not the stock tank, but A tank from a DOHC CB750. Had to relocate the rear tank mount back several inches. I do love the look of this particular tank. Seat, is one of my designs, rearsets as well. All electrical was relocated to underneath the cowl of the seat pan on an aluminum tray I built. To be honest, not a ton of fab work in this build outside of the subframe/shock mounts. I usually spend a lot of time on a mill/lathe during a bike build, but it was more-so getting everything to fit than completely fabbing everything up. With that said, I do love the way the bike turned out. It runs well, it rides well, and surprisingly, it's getting a ton of love from the Harley crowd!

How she looked when I bought it, minus the F2 gear. It's hard to roll a bike around without a back wheel.
IMG_20140207_095024_zpsyam7yjhg.jpg

Almost went with a VFR set up, but it was too wide at the pivot, not enough meat to machine down to get it to fit.
IMAG1081_zpsb1178038.jpg

Got rid of the stock CV carbs. Figured I'd give Cycle X's dual carb set up a go. So far, I'm impressed, the bike runs well.
20141008_134831_zpsyp6i6uzp.jpg

Subframe:
IMAG1288_zps0trs7kdl.jpg

IMAG1438_zps2issm0gd.jpg

IMAG1468_zpsj20cpzob.jpg

Welded in plates on both sides for my rearset mounts.
IMG_20141219_135219_zpssh8rtnpn.jpg

Exhaust, went with a 4 into 4. She sounds spectacular.

20150218_085253_zpsdj0caynv.jpg

20150218_085308_zps7fhmuzsz.jpg

Hopped on the lathe, and got some cones and half moons turned for the exhaust.

20150911_203052_zpswwpham2y.jpg

20150909_174333_zps8tnigtux.jpg

Paint was done by me as well. Bahama Blue with a Cobalt Blue, and chrome flake. Looks spectacular in the sun. The cobalt flake in the blue paint really makes it sparkle.
20150919_110655_zpsaqyib8f1.jpg

FB_IMG_1442181994905_zps6ob7vjod.jpg

Lot of stuff I didn't really document in the build thread, frame bracing for the mono, shaving things down here and there to make them fit. Building axles/swing arm pivot bolts/ engine mounts, etc, out of stainless.

I'll snap some pics in the morning, and post them up. Thanks again to the guys who nominated the bike. I love the way she turned out. She looks great, very rideable, and draws a ton of attention. Which should be good when she's sitting in front of my booth at shows.

Thanks again, and to you others guys who were nominated, great looking bikes, job well done, fellas.

Tough call, but done! :D

Good luck to all! 8)

Few better shots of her this a.m. Playing around with the new GoPro.

FB_IMG_1443197807920_zpsdeogvuxu.jpg

Paint is Bahama Blue with a Cobalt Blue, and chrome flake added.
FB_IMG_1443197799914_zpseyszjsts.jpg

FB_IMG_1443197791347_zpsrqc8yz5d.jpg

Wow, tough decision this month. A lot of planning and labor on all three, great job guys! Being a rider with a love of an epic road trip I'm going with 5ivemoto's " touring " ride.

Congrats Boys! Well done, both of you! 8) 8)

Alright which one of you guys didn't vote for my bike...

I'm just kidding. Huge honor to have any recognition at all coming out of the poorly lit one car garage.

Happy to share it with such a fine looking mōchine as the one here.

Thanks everybody. Stay tuned for the next desolation to destination build.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 313
Thanks guys! And congrats, 5. Spectacular, purpose built machine you put together.

Congratulations to 5ivemoto and J-Rod10. Well deserved by both of you. It was wonderful to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom