March 2016 BOTM Voting

Vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just a few pics of my '79 XS750 Triple

My objective for this build was to make it look like it came from the factory after I was done, improve on the looks, cornering, braking and keep it ride able.
All fabrication, machining, painting and graphics were done by me in my 2 car garage, no outside professional services were utilized.
It has an inner rear fender (to keep road dirt and rain off the engine), a compartment for a tool kit, LED lighting, digital tach/speedo, Lithium iron battery and a comfy seat.
The engine was left pretty much stock except for the velocity stacks and the exhaust system. Reliability and driveability was the main objective.
XS750 gas tank lengthened 3 1/2" and painted with Duplicolor Paintshop Sublime Green, Topped of with a 2K clear. Graphics mimic the OEM XS750 graphics.
Stock seat tail section with integrated LED taillight, brake light and license plate light.
Stock seat pan shortened and narrowed, custom seat cover sewn on my 1958 model Singer sewing machine.
KOSO DB-02R digital speedo and tach unit molded into the OEM XS750 headlight bucket .
VFR750 41mm front forks and triples.
XS400 18" front wheel.
Front fender is off a Honda CM250.
Avon AM26 Roadrider tires.
VFR750 Front brake calipers.
Honda SF400 front rotors.
3 into one header with an Emgo universal megaphone muffler.
Custom made fiberglass side cover/number plate.
Rear sub frame was redesigned to raise the seat height and create a more open look under the seat and rear wheel
and to accommodate the rear shocks angled at 45 degrees.
Rear shocks are fully adjustable for rebound and compression.
Rear brake utilizes a Yamaha R6 rotor, caliper, caliper bracket, master cylinder, modified XS750 caliper stay.
The number plate graphics are a tribute to my favourite Moto GP rider...9 time world champion Valentino Rossi.

Attachments

• 20160126_192211.jpg
    20160126_192211.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 435
  • 20160209_184834.jpg
    20160209_184834.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 447
  • 20160218_194808.jpg
    20160218_194808.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 423
  • DSC03324.JPG
    DSC03324.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 447
  • wide sexy.jpg
    wide sexy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 436
  • DSC03288.JPG
    DSC03288.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 449
  • 20150926_185223.jpg
    20150926_185223.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC03254.JPG
    DSC03254.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 426
  • 20140829_140010.jpg
    20140829_140010.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 424
  • speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 402
for anyone interested in Checko's build, this current (third iteration) begins at page 6 of his build thread.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46304.75

quick summary of whats done:

-ninja250 monoshock rear swingarm
-ninja zx9 front forks and brakes
-hand-built 2-1 scrambler exhaust done with pie-cuts
-custom machined axle and rotor adapter
-custom made subframe and seat
-cb350f supersport tank
-hydraulic clutch conversion
-flatslide carbs
-lots of custom paint and powdercoat

We should hear from the "owner/builders" of these bikes... As far as I can see Eric is the only one here to rep his build.

Beauty pageants and popularity contests don't belong here.

Tune-A-Fish said:
We should hear from the "owner/builders" of these bikes... As far as I can see Eric is the only one here to rep his build.

Beauty pageants and popularity contests don't belong here.

Appiebroomer just did, I do agree I like the garage builds better and voted for Eric, but these other 2 are just as valid. We allow any member who gets nominated run for BOTM and some have been pro-built bikes in the past. nothing wrong with it but it's up to the voters to decide. What's even better is when a build like Eric's beats a pro built bike or 2!

Maritime said:
Appiebroomer just did, I do agree I like the garage builds better and voted for Eric, but these other 2 are just as valid. We allow any member who gets nominated run for BOTM and some have been pro-built bikes in the past. nothing wrong with it but it's up to the voters to decide. What's even better is when a build like Eric's beats a pro built bike or 2!

I agree. I would like it to be a little more personal, I guess is where I'm thinking. Lots of cool stuff here and much of it simple but worthy.

Oh well I'm a relative noob here and my opinions are just that, but I will be me at times :eek: Someday the fish will swim away... always do.

How ironic that a popularity contest would be mentioned. Hopefully thats not how this goes, I'd like to see the best build win, instead of the guy that has the most friends on DTT.

They all look fairly functional. Good luck to EVERYONE that earned a nomination.

Not really about friends, I like focussinprocess who helped with Checko's build for me it was the bike that was built from a pile of parts most folks would never have tried to stick together to make something cool. If you look at Eric's bike it was done with very little $$ but with a lot of ingenuity, skill and thought, from a box of parts he swapped a CB360 for.

I voted Blue also... Mostly because I followed it all the way through and know how much is hand built, the money has nothing to do with it unless its all just boltons. All three are different in every way and if I was just signing on I would vote for the Green Machine.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I voted Blue also... Mostly because I followed it all the way through and know how much is hand built, the money has nothing to do with it unless its all just boltons. All three are different in every way and if I was just signing on I would vote for the Green Machine.

Yep that green machine is very well done, as is the white bike, I just like you, know what the blue bike was before and watched it go from box o parts to riding machine so it got my vote.

all well done, but my vote goes to the guy who pounds out body panels on a wood log in his garage. All great bikes, but like it was said above, look at the build thread and that blue 750 is a DTT bike through and through. Great job irk

You guys know what an xs750 looks like stock?

xs750special_197803.jpg

You think appiebroomers bike just magically transformed with no labor? You think he bought bolt ons and ended up with that bike?

Ever tried to build one that ends up classy?

Some people just don't share as much info, does that devalue the outcome of a project?

At the very least, this is an excellent discussion.

DohcBikes said:

xs750special_197803.jpg

You think appiebroomers bike just magically transformed with no labor? You think he bought bolt ons and ended up with that bike?

Some people just don't share as much info, does that devalue the outcome of a project?

his tank stretch is great work. the front end parts he used all seem to work very well together, kudos for that.

his bike started out as a standard, not a special

more accurate starting point:

1979-yamaha-xs750-2-760x570.jpg

all three bikes in my opinion have great work into them and all are deserving to be in the running. I simply posted the info on Checko's build because he's not super active and prefers the bike to speak for itself.

DohcBikes said:

xs750special_197803.jpg

Not arguing on the work involved or the quality of the bike build one bit. I just have a much more personal connection with what Eric did. No worries though as all that we need to do is wait one month and nominate whichever bike again because believe me no matter who wins I'd like to see both on the banner. I just had to vote for my favorite as we only get one vote.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom