August 2016 BOTM Nominations

Tune-A-Fish said:
...Timmeh is too busy (or lost interest) to keep up the site...
Tim does a great job providing us with a place to hang out, and all the extras that go along with it.
But he does have a personal life. You should try one as well ;)

Redbird said:
Tim does a great job providing us with a place to hang out, and all the extras that go along with it.
But he does have a personal life. You should try one as well ;)

Thanks mang! I will give that a shot! Sorry for being open with my thoughts... maybe you should grow a pair? ;)

Tim's 'number one' here and takes more crap than anyone should, for the simple reason that he cares about this place and the people that populate it. :) If you knew him like we do, you'd support him the same way. :D

Drewski said:
Tim's 'number one' here and takes more crap than anyone should, for the simple reason that he cares about this place and the people that populate it. :) If you knew him like we do, you'd support him the same way. :D

Never said he wasn't. In fact it's obvious no no2 exists ;)... I have managed people my whole life, not friends... people. I think Tim is likely a very good friend, but I deal in personalities and people are full of excuses, they will give you a million reasons why, but in the end when productivity is suffering we do one of two things... hire more people to handle the workload or fire the bottleneck.

Now I know this is a hangout for bike enthusiasts and should be a relaxed and take it easy environment... however, I bet when it was new and the first BOTM was launched with people at the edge of there seat waiting for the close and the vote to begin, Tim was spot on with his attendance. I also fully understand how we get on in life, we take more and more responsibility, kids, the wife takes a night class to improve the family well being... when it gets to be too much though, we can't drop the ball, we have to set that calendar and clock and manage our time... down to the minute in many cases. The BOTM has been a mess for months.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Tim.

Feelings were never hurt :)

Calling the BOTM a mess for months tho is perhaps a little hyperbolic, and I think suggests the monthly exercise of putting a deserving bike on the masthead is a little more important/serious than it actually is.

If 1000 people voted on it each month and significant prizes were awarded, we'd all take it more seriously. Most months 50-100 people vote, it is sometimes a challenge to get nominations (not this month obviously enough) and yeah I've been tethered to my cellphone data for the last 10 days while spending time at my family's cottage in the middle of nowhere.

You're lucky I'm even online. 3 years ago I wouldn't have had access at all up here and would be spending my time in town to get access so I could keep tabs on my real job.

When I retire in 15 years I promise to be more diligent and on-top of the BOTM contest.

Shit, I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is just a personal observation;

Tim, you make note there is no "real prize" for winning botm. Well, why not create one? I spend a good amount of time on here, as well as looking at various media available, and it seems to me, there is more talent on here than is found on some builds seen on sites like bike exif.

My point is, publications look for talent to feature, and botm is about featuring talent. Why not network a relationship where botm winners get a feature on bike exif? Or at least are put into their bikes of the week?

I know personally, I was elated when I was on there, i'd have to imagine others would be as well.

Just a thought, feel free to shoot it down.

jag767 said:
Shit, I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is just a personal observation;

Tim, you make note there is no "real prize" for winning botm. Well, why not create one? I spend a good amount of time on here, as well as looking at various media available, and it seems to me, there is more talent on here than is found on some builds seen on sites like bike exif.

My point is, publications look for talent to feature, and botm is about featuring talent. Why not network a relationship where botm winners get a feature on bike exif? Or at least are put into their bikes of the week?

I know personally, I was elated when I was on there, i'd have to imagine others would be as well.

Just a thought, feel free to shoot it down.

That'd be pretty sick tbh. Although I think a better prize would be a gold medal with the DTT logo on it. Or a rosette. Or the cheaper option... a gold medal in your avatar/sig! Basically just some sort of gold award.

Over the years there have been a few things floated. A couple of our sponsors had stepped up with gift certs, t-shirts etc. for the winners, and at one point a couple of the BOTM bikes had been featured on BikeEXIF but that was happenstance more than anything.

I'll give some thought to more internal recognition of the winners / nominees in terms of a special status attached to their user accounts.

Thank for the nomination and second guys!

Not sure whether mine fits in the rules at the minute though (?), as it is running but I don't have a full loom or rear set linkages made up yet, so it's not 'technically' on the road! ::)

Green199 said:
Thank for the nomination and second guys!

Not sure whether mine fits in the rules at the minute though (?), as it is running but I don't have a full loom or rear set linkages made up yet, so it's not 'technically' on the road! ::)
This is good, because usually the winners quit running altogether.

Personally, I like it the way it is with the 'only thing on the line' being the banner itself. I think if you set it up with prizes and such, you open another can 'o worms that we really don't need. :p

To me, it was honour enough to be on the banner. 8)

deviant said:
This is good, because usually the winners quit running altogether.

Man... you'd think I would've learned not to drink my coffee and read these threads at the same time...

"Desk top clean-up in cubicle 7 please!!" ;D

Drewski said:
Personally, I like it the way it is with the 'only thing on the line' being the banner itself. I think if you set it up with prizes and such, you open another can 'o worms that we really don't need. :p

To me, it was honour enough to be on the banner. 8)

Also a v good point. I retract my prize related statements. Banner is good enough.

Brodie said:
What about a simple banner similar to the site supporter one?

That's what I'm thinking about. Anyone feel like compiling a list of all the members who have ever won? :D

Back
Top Bottom