DO THE TON / DIME CITY CYCLES BIKE OF THE MONTH - SEPTEMBER 2016 NOMINATIONS

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
BIG NEWS!

Our good friends at Dime City Cycles are now the official sponsor of the long-running DO THE TON Bike of the Month Contest!

Dime City Cycles are not only generous sponsors of the site, but they are good friends and incredible supporters of our community. They've been part of our group of friends since the earliest days of DO THE TON nearly 10 years ago and both DTT and DCC have grown side by side over the years working to foster the garage-built community of enthusiasts.

Dime City Cycles is the premier choice for DIY custom motorcycle parts, accessories and life style gear. Whether your interest is Cafe Racers, Bobbers, Choppers, Brats, Trackers, Scramblers or you just want something a little different for your speed machine, you’re sure to find the quality parts you need at DCC.

Beginning with this month's contest for the September BOTM, Dime City Cycles is going to recognize the winner with:

• A spot light on www.dimecitycycles.com
    [*]Email announcement to their many fans and customers
    [*]Announcement on Dime City Cycles social media profiles reaching thousands and thousands of fellow enthusiasts
    [*]Winner receives a prize from DCC (DCC swag + $100 DCC gift card)

Here are the Nomination Rules:

1. Nominate one of our members' bikes for Bike of the Month - include up to 3 flattering pictures of the bike in question. This is an opportunity to recognize someone who's bike has inspired you.

Please don't nominate your own bike - make sure you have a well detailed build thread, post up in the Show n Shine area etc. and if enough people like your bike, someone will nominate it and maybe you'll see it as our banner in an upcoming month!

The Nomination MUST be accompanied by the member's User Name, a link to the thread where their bike is best described (Build thread, Show n Shine etc.) and a PHOTO of the bike in question.

2. Someone seconds the nomination (please only second one nomination)

3. Member should accept the nomination - If you're nominating a bike, make sure you're in contact with the owner, that they want the bike included and they accept the nomination. The Nominee should provide some back-story on the project, especially if there is a limited build thread.

4. Bike must be in running roadworthy condition - no basket cases. I know our bikes are never really 'finished' but it should be on the road and rideable.

5. If a bike has been nominated in the previous month it should not be included in the current month's contest. Skip a month and nominate in a subsequent month.

6. Bikes that have won in prior contests should not be included unless they have been modified significantly.

We will accept nominations for a few days till we have a good selection to a limit of 5 bikes per contest.

A poll will be set up and voting will take place for a week or so depending on timing. Whoever ends the voting period with the most votes wins :D

Ultimately the voters will decide!

As a reward, we will use a picture of the winner's bike on the site banner for the following month and the winner will also receive incredible exposure and prizes from DIME CITY CYCLES!

I nominate Daffysaurus's XL175 Urban Eduro: A school research project.

index.php

I nominate Mr. E's '76 MR250 Elsinore he built for the Vintage 1000. Woot woot!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69145

Well considering my bike is currently riding the casualty trailer for the second time this trip, it must be botm material haha. I guess I accept, and will be messing with securing the points plate again tonight at the campfire

A dab or dribble of that locker juice behind the plate on the mating surface will help with vibes loosening things up chunk of paper gasket or cereal box pinched in there would soak it up and hold longer even

I would like to nominate yorkie350 Mike hailwood rep http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=60594.0

Attachments

• IMAG1015.jpg
    IMAG1015.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 364
  • IMAG1023.jpg
    IMAG1023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 369
  • IMAG1020 (2).jpg
    IMAG1020 (2).jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 356
Cheers guys I accept the nomination over the moon how she turned out took much longer & a few £££'s or $$$'s than I thought So she started out as a non runner '78 cb550f she was a kinda caferacer but I had this mad idea of building a replica classic racebike, Mike Hailwood rode Honda's in the TT and was a Hero to any one into bikes back then so that set the project. It took two years to the day when it was MOT'd and made road legal (daytime only), best bits were making my own spacers and bearings on a lathe had to learn how to use it pretty quick ha and also welding my own frame changes and exhausts first time for most things. Biggest headache was electrics as usual and the dialling in of the carbs etc due to stacks n open exhausts but that's all part of the fun (I think ) ha, biggest low was powdercoating been pants compared to my amateur wet painting of tank n fairing out in my back yard ( go figure ) had to source a lot of old 2nd hand parts from here in UK and across the pond in US and plenty of support n idea's from a lot of peeps here on DTT so thanks all & stay tuned for the TT run around haha hope to give you all some on board Isle of Man classic TT sights n sounds once again thanks for the Nom yozzer.

Attachments

• IMAG1056.jpg
    IMAG1056.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 382
  • IMAG1024.jpg
    IMAG1024.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359
  • IMAG1021.jpg
    IMAG1021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 356
Thank You Tune-A-Fish for the nomination. :D

I am really surprised with the interest in my bike

My build was a bit different to most I have read about on Do The Ton.
At the start of the school year each student is required to do a Personal Project.
I chose to build a customised retro daily ride, something that I could use well beyond the hand in date of the project.
The XL175 chosen for few reasons,
1. It was cheap
2. Its depicts classic cool 1970’s Honda styling
3. XL175 was my father 1st bike. (Dad's interest was engaged )

The original plan/dream was a back to factory restoration, but limited budget, limited time (6 mths build time plus school & work commitments) and basic mechanical skills did not add up.
So after the cleanup & strip down & assessment it was decided to go a more affordable pathway .

I spent a few weeks trawling websites looks for an air cooled single Honda. My 1st choice was CBF250 but I could not find anything suitable and eventually settled on a CB125E in a salvage auction 800 kms away, with a little help from Dad we purchased it and had it freighted back to Adelaide.

Over the next 5 months I set about modernising my XL175. With some great help from Dad and some trades.
The Frame, swing arm, tank, side covers, rear guard, seat (re trimmed), foot pegs are XL175
The Engine, Carby, wiring loom, instrument cluster, head light, forks, rear shocks, triple tree, wheels & brakes are CB125E
The dress up bits came mostly out of China, Muffler, stainless steel bolt kit rear light, Indicators, handle bars & bar ends, mirrors.

The bike is now street legal and registered for daily use.
I have recently turned 16 and now with my license can ride the bike.
Its been a wet winter and raining most days but I have managed to clock up 200 kms already. 

Thanks for reading
Daffysaurs

Attachments

• IMG_6715.JPG
    IMG_6715.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 351
  • IMG_6710.JPG
    IMG_6710.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_6692.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 352
  • IMG_6688.JPG
    IMG_6688.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 354
  • IMG_6724.JPG
    IMG_6724.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_6699.JPG
    IMG_6699.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 372
  • IMG_6730.JPG
    IMG_6730.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 340
OK from what I can see we have enough worthy nominees for a contest! Voting thread to come - nominations closed.

Back
Top Bottom