Discussion on how to nominate bikes for the BOTM contest

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
It's just my opinion, and I DO NOT mean to offend, but this month's winner appears to be in another league than the other two contestants.

I know it can be slim pickings on nominations and contestants, so I understand you gotta "run what they brung".

I'm just suggesting that maybe the bikes need to be SOMEWHAT comparable, to make it a bit more fair. I know if I was one of the other two contestants, I'd like another shot at it with a more comparable 3rd bike.

Again, please don't take offense.

grandpaul said:
It's just my opinion, and I DO NOT mean to offend, but this month's winner appears to be in another league than the other two contestants.

I know it can be slim pickings on nominations and contestants, so I understand you gotta "run what they brung".

I'm just suggesting that maybe the bikes need to be SOMEWHAT comparable, to make it a bit more fair. I know if I was one of the other two contestants, I'd like another shot at it with a more comparable 3rd bike.

Again, please don't take offense.
thats funny one person bought stuff and he is in another league . Ive seen that bike in different cc s sooo many times over the years. If all three of these bikes were for sale in a row the Elsinore would be gone first no question. Ive been gone for a year and youre still full of shit

bradj said:
thats funny one person bought stuff and he is in another league . Ive seen that bike in different cc s sooo many times over the years. If all three of these bikes were for sale in a row the Elsinore would be gone first no question. Ive been gone for a year and youre still full of shit

Maybe you should try another year?

I think the winner won period, But I can see the comment as truthful. This is common on BOTM's tho so you have to wait out a month and submit your noms again here at DTT no biggie ;D The rules don't prevent a bike from a second chance, people are just giving up on the people they nominate Democrats I suppose :eek:

Now on the other hand, the BS winner is always the popular vote, the guy/gal who wins because of the amount of friends on the site not because the workmanship warrants it... imagine if we voted for our politicians this way! LOL!!

Some think it's no big deal to win BOTM, but it is... it can mean the world to some just for confidence boosting glory and it can mean the price goes up for another.

You are right on one thing tho... E's Elsie would sell first for two reasons, price and price the Hailwood likely will never be for sale anyway and the Honda factory should of been, I would raffle it off at the school then donate the proceeds to the next build. Actually... I bet E never sells that Elsie and I bet it will go q 1000 miles next year 8)

So basically what you and grandpaul are saying is: #1 there is something wrong with "run what they brung". #2, this BOTM has no place for garage builds anymore, and if one wins it's because of a popularity vote. And #3, deep pockets build better bikes.

One of my builds was beat out by a pro build. So be it. But fuck the guy that says I don't have the right to be there, or who demeans all of my hard work with a "run what they brung" comment. I wish that guy would keep his arrogant bullshit over at caferacer.net.

Also, the Elsinore sells first because there's a legitimate collector's market for them.

deviant said:
So basically what you and grandpaul are saying is: #1 there is something wrong with "run what they brung". #2, this BOTM has no place for garage builds anymore, and if one wins it's because of a popularity vote. And #3, deep pockets build better bikes.

One of my builds was beat out by a pro build. So be it. But fuck the guy that says I don't have the right to be there, or who demeans all of my hard work with a "run what they brung" comment. I wish that guy would keep his arrogant bullshit over at caferacer.net.

Also, the Elsinore sells first because there's a legitimate collector's market for them.

You stalkin me? read it again tard... I just agree it was out of league with the other two then... what did I say? Moron.

All I'm saying is, that the choices in any given month should be SOMEWHAT comparable.

No back story, no underlying motive, no jealousy, no agenda.

I am not particular as to specific brand, style, genre, etc. I own and love ALL types & makes of bikes, so that's not it, either.

Again, NOT TO OFFEND (I posted this earlier, but decided to delete it), but JUST FOR CLARIFICATION,

What is the NAME OF THIS FORUM?

One more reason the three contestants were unequal.

Leaving this month's bikes and their builders aside for a moment, I think that the point that GP is trying to make is that that some of us are starting out and some of us have years of experience and lots of contacts and tools and skills. Some of us make do with what we have and others have deeper pockets. That's life. We are not all equal in terms of access to parts and skills.

So the question is is posing is should there be a way to let newer guys in to compete in BOTM on a more equal footing. I would argue that we don't need that. Maybe professionals should be excluded, but I don't think so. I like to see the variety of different bikes and styles and experience levels. I will often vote for a bike that speaks to me, and it's usually not the shiniest, or the one with the most expensive parts on it.

It's that "inequality" that make us all equal. It's in the differences that we find common interests. The question was good, but I would not introduce some artificial structure to rank some builds or builders as more equal that others. And the 100mph thing is a complete red herring. Most bikes on here have not and will not ever do the ton and that's OK with me. My Phat Trakka was built and geared to live at well under that mythical number. It has gone faster at the drag strip but that wasn't the idea behind the build. I suspect that's true for many other builds.

And experienced builders don't just build high dollar show bikes. In fact most of us just build what we want to build and it's usually on a budget. This month we had a real mix of bikes and the winner was deserving and the bike itself captures the spirit of the sixties and racing and so on and it was popular. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as I'm concerned, all are welcome.

Tune-A-Fish said:
You stalkin me? read it again tard... I just agree it was out of league with the other two then... what did I say? Moron.

And again someone that disagrees with you gets ignorant, bigoted insults and immature responses. For the record, and without insults, I disagreed with two statements you made:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Now on the other hand, the BS winner is always the popular vote, the guy/gal who wins because of the amount of friends on the site not because the workmanship warrants it

and

Tune-A-Fish said:
E's Elsie would sell first for two reasons, price and price

As far as the stalking comment: Please. I can't think of one reason to stalk you and your statement above gives ample reason to avoid you. As active as either of us are on these forums, we're going to comment in the same threads a fair amount. And besides, I'm not the one who's so attention starved that I feel the need to post my builds in other people's build threads or threads about politics or wherever else. There are things afoot in this forum that you are clearly unaware of, things that someone in-the-know is quite attuned to.

grandpaul said:
Again, NOT TO OFFEND (I posted this earlier, but decided to delete it), but JUST FOR CLARIFICATION,

What is the NAME OF THIS FORUM?

One more reason the three contestants were unequal.
This forum has evolved since the name was first conceived. Until they give rid of all the different sections for different types of builds, I don't see how the name has anything to do with what should or shouldn't qualify. It's not just a cafe racer or do the ton site anymore, and hasn't been one for quite some time.

deviant said:
This forum has evolved since the name was first conceived... It's not just a cafe racer or do the ton site anymore, and hasn't been one for quite some time.

I didn't get the memo, sorry. EVERY bike I've ever posted (and I've only ever posted MY OWN BUILDS) can handily do the ton. I think that point still means something.

As Emily Latella (Gilda Radner, SNL, R.I.P) would say "never mind".

I'll decline any possible future nominations of client builds, and only accept nominations of my own personal budget builds (IF I'm ever nominated again after this).

deviant said:
And again someone that disagrees with you gets ignorant, bigoted insults and immature responses. For the record, and without insults, I disagreed with two statements you made:

and

As far as the stalking comment: Please. I can't think of one reason to stalk you and your statement above gives ample reason to avoid you. As active as either of us are on these forums, we're going to comment in the same threads a fair amount. And besides, I'm not the one who's so attention starved that I feel the need to post my builds in other people's build threads or threads about politics or wherever else. There are things afoot in this forum that you are clearly unaware of, things that someone in-the-know is quite attuned to.

LOL I know whats up and I think its funny how people shut up when I post shit lol... love posting on chat just too see you run off the playground haha!

Don't mind the discussion, and I'm always happy to see a variety of bikes nominated each month. You never know what is going to draw the votes. I've split this off however from the voting thread for September as it doesn't belong there.

Tim said:
Don't mind the discussion, and I'm always happy to see a variety of bikes nominated each month. You never know what is going to draw the votes. I've split this off however from the voting thread for September as it doesn't belong there.

Smart move. Thanks.

Thanx, Tim.

I like the discussion, too. I suppose I was out of line for starting it in the BOTM voting / announcement thread.

Hey, I'm just trying to be a positive contribution.

I should have a new project starting real soon, as I just sold the Norton Combat Commando on ebay.

Well, I like motorcycles. I'm also pretty happy with the botm process just as it is, and think the winning bike was very deserving. DTT hasn't been exclusive to cafe racers since it started, it was just the leading common interest. And if we are gonna split hairs, the hailwood is more of a race rep than a cafe ::) but who really cares? It was a great build and reflects the sum of the builder's devotion to the craft. I don't see a need to add even more rules to a formula that works. That is, user built bikes get nominated by other users, and the majority votes for their favorite. The winner gets recognition (and now) a really awesome prize. Seems simple enough.

Edit: and Tim, if I'm ever allowed to nominate a box of parts again, I WILL do it. it was within the rules way back then :p

I can't see the point in changing the current arrangement unless the idea is to have a multiplicity of categories so that everyone is a "winner".

It is no embarrassment for the other red bikes to be be beaten by yorkie's red bike.

They both scored double figures when up against one of the most meticulous builds you could imagine.

The only improvement to BOTM would be an increase in the number of people voting. With the forum's membership to have only 71 people bothering to vote is disappointing!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
The only improvement to BOTM would be an increase in the number of people voting. With the forum's membership to have only 71 people bothering to vote is disappointing!

Crazy

That. Well said. I'd love to see hundreds of votes every month. Some more participation would make it more fun for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom