DO THE TON / DIME CITY CYCLES BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2016 NOMINATIONS

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
BIG NEWS!

Our good friends at Dime City Cycles are the official sponsor of the DO THE TON Bike of the Month Contest!

Dime City Cycles are not only generous sponsors of the site, but they are good friends and incredible supporters of our community. They've been part of our group of friends since the earliest days of DO THE TON 10 years ago and both DTT and DCC have grown side by side over the years working to foster the garage-built community of enthusiasts.

In addition to gracing the masthead of DO THE TON for a month, Dime City Cycles will recognize the winner with:

• A spot light on www.dimecitycycles.com
    [*]Email announcement to their many fans and customers
    [*]Announcement on Dime City Cycles social media profiles reaching thousands and thousands of fellow enthusiasts
    [*]Winner receives a prize from DCC (DCC swag + $100 DCC gift card)

Here are the Nomination Rules:

1. Nominate one of our members' bikes for Bike of the Month - include up to 3 flattering pictures of the bike in question. This is an opportunity to recognize someone who's bike has inspired you.

Please don't nominate your own bike - make sure you have a well detailed build thread, post up in the Show n Shine area etc. and if enough people like your bike, someone will nominate it and maybe you'll see it as our banner in an upcoming month!

The Nomination must be accompanied by the member's User Name, a link to the thread where their bike is best described (Build thread, Show n Shine etc.) and a PHOTO of the bike in question.

2. Someone seconds the nomination (please only second one nomination)

3. Member should accept the nomination - If you're nominating a bike, make sure you're in contact with the owner, that they want the bike included and they accept the nomination. The Nominee should provide some back-story on the project, especially if there is a limited build thread.

4. Bike must be in running roadworthy condition - no basket cases. I know our bikes are never really 'finished' but it should be on the road/track/dirt and rideable.

5. If a bike has been nominated in the previous month but did not win, it should not be included in the current month's contest. Wait 3 months to allow other worthy nominations and then resubmit if you like.

6. Bikes that have won in prior contests should not be included unless they have been modified significantly.

We will accept nominations for a few days till we have a good selection to a limit of 3 bikes per contest.

A poll will be set up and voting will take place for a week or so depending on timing. Whoever ends the voting period with the most votes wins :D

I'd like to nominate kosmoto's CB360, "Café Interruptus".

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=60094.0

index.php

index.php

Very nicely done Kosmoto. That's what a '70's cafe racer looked like, it's like a flashback for me.

Gota have a Smoker!

Short build, but a good one!

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0

I nominate Hurco's Yamaha hs1 90cc twin clean up!

2b00f3cf36ade04403a64289a60b58a4.jpg

989effe9100b9c4d9fe93bcdb0bde202.jpg

Well shucks guys... I am honored to have this project of mine nominated alongside all these other clean builds; I humbly accept.
This is not only my first build, but my first motorcycle. For long story you can see the first post in the build thread, but it started out as a free bike from my brother and has been hacked on by several previous owners over its life. It was a lowly GS450 "L" that no one seems to want since it doesn't have any easy cafe lines in it. Its rear tube frame section had been removed and later replaced with angle iron and some interesting welding by past owners, so one of the first things done was to remove a lot of material and weld it up with the right stuff. Most of the work I had to do on weekends at my parent's house as they had the welder/media blaster/air compressor, and then it was moved up to my place for the cleaning/rebuilding/painting/electrical and tuning. I'm not of a generation that grew up with carburetors, so rebuilding and tuning CV carbs was "fun." Definitely made a few mistakes along the way. Oh and I almost burned my parents house down with this project!
The goal of the project was to make a bike that looked like Suzuki turned out a modern day scrambler concept. There are gravel roads on the way to my family, so I wanted something that I could drive around the city as well as the loose stuff. I built it to take the bumps and stones; this will be a fun ride!
Thanks to Maritime for the nom' and Nj732port for the 2nd, I appreciate the support! :)

Attachments

• 1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 01.jpeg
    1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 01.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 317
  • 1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 02.jpeg
    1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 02.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 307
  • 1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 03.jpeg
    1981 Suzuki GS450L Scrambler 03.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 317
Awesome! Three nominations in record time. Will fire up a voting thread and the nominees can post up all the photos, stories etc.

Wow thanks Tune for the nod and jussy for the second! its a real honor to be nominated, especially next to two super awesome builds!

It all started with a ride out to my buddys place on the old gt250. I was there for a few minutes when his grandpa pulled in and started talking about "old two stroke street bikes". He asked if i would be interested in this "old 90cc street bike" that he had for years. We went and looked at it and struck up a deal.

The bike was in pretty decent nick over all, but the last decade was spent with it sitting in a 3 sided barn open on one end, and it had started to take its toll on the overall condition of the bike. I wish i would have taken some more before pictures, but it was really a little crustier than the pictures do justice, but not near as terrible as the Honda in the pic up top ;)

after doing a little cleaning and getting it going, i realized that what was underneath all the grime and a bit of surface rust was pretty decent, and since bikes are only original once, i decided to do a "paintless restore" more or less. I know, even typing that sounds like a cop out, but for the most part, i did all the disassembly, refurb and re assembly that you would see on a street quality restore, just without re painting it, just trying to bring everything back to a nice shine. After assembling with a fresh top end gasket set, carb rebuild, injector rebuild and some new brake shoes, i had her running again and back on the road.

The conversation last month was on whether or not a BOTM should be able to "do the ton" or not... well i would be double disqualified because mine wouldn't even do half the ton, with me on it anyways.

Anyways, i digress. Thanks again for the nom! this community is the best!

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

9cc30101163a3cc274c1143850976319.jpg

8215fdeb8d0780ace6561193dd8fd5b0.jpg

43d1239550f231fddae5b715654b0fc8.jpg

08b12310a4fb31fe7c28ef34c35884e4.jpg

813383324fafa6e844bd561e48f686cd.jpg

[/quote]

43e09ac8b26c043321f8e555adc8708c.jpg

9fe0e723156c727ccd401bb6e18dfeba.jpg

989effe9100b9c4d9fe93bcdb0bde202.jpg

[/quote]

Yes indeedy! all good choices here.

I chose to nom Hurk's 90 to make a point. This little Yamaha is the perfect example of what you should do when you find such intact classics, I am all for the chop cut rebuild game and even all the way up to destroying "restorable" bikes... That said, this little gem got exactly the resto it should, not over restored or made to brand new again, but how it was when it was parked... sort of like it was never out of service at all.

Great job Hurko550.

I'm flattered, excited, and happy to accept and be considered among the other standout builds also nominated. Thank you Sonreir for the nomination and VonYinzer for the second.

The last 3.5-years working on this 360 cafe has been fun (and at times frustrating.) But the best part for me has been the chance to learn new stuff and expand my skills (welding, fab, upholstery, paint, etc.) and take a shot at things just to see if I could make them happen.

This forum and the people on it was and continues to be a huge help. I'm certain there are countless tips and ideas that I learned here that helped make the build possible (for example, flipping the disc brake over to the other side.) I'll pass along a couple of my own tips: don't start with a bike as rough as my 360 was (two stuck pistons!) and focus on only one bike at a time! But, if your bike is very rough, hopefully my 360 shows it is possible to make something decent out of it (with a shit-ton of time/$$)

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this build to my wife, Shera, who has gracefully put up with all my time in the shop and the ever-mounting costs of this hobby of mine.

Thanks again for the nomination and I will try to do these build threads in real-time vs. after-the-fact from now on. All the best pics I have are already on the build thread, but here is one of my favorites:

054_zpsibkrdjjs.jpg

Brent said:
Very nicely done Kosmoto. That's what a '70's cafe racer looked like, it's like a flashback for me.
Thanks very much! The 70s vibe was not a conscious choice on my part, but I could not be happier with the way it all came together.

kosmoto said:
Thanks very much! The 70s vibe was not a conscious choice on my part, but I could not be happier with the way it all came together.

Bought my first bike in the mid '70's and this one would have been drooled over at that time. "Cafe Racer" has become such a bastardized term that I was really pleased to see a real cafe racer, one that could be ridden hard with confidence it would be predictable.

Like them all.
Love Hurco's 90cc Yam, that's a tiny piston!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom