83 gs450 brat build

JamesJustus

New member here. My brat/cafe build is going well. I got the bike completely stock and not running. Like a idiot instead of making it run and drive I started chopping and taking stuff off. Lesson learned. I have the bike running really well right now. I had to pick up a cdi box from ebay a used coil I found local. Some good gas and spark plugs and it fired up. I new before I started I wanted to run pods and chopped exhaust. I did have to go up a few sizes on my main jet to get the bike to run well again. I used a 140 large round main jet. The pilot jet I left alone the bike runs strong now. To get my idle and part throttle better I am going to try and use the air fuel screws. I do need some seat advice I planned on playing it cheap and using a skateboard with some foam and vinyl. I did see that DCC has a brat seat for around 200 dollars has anyone tried it? I also want to level the gas tank but I do not have anyway to fab up a bracket. I was planning on running a long bolt with a sleeve or a shit ton of washers thoughts on that? Here are a couple progress pics of the gs.

Attachments

• 20150308_173047[1].jpg
    20150308_173047[1].jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 314
  • 20150323_140020[1].jpg
    20150323_140020[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 340
Thanks! I have decided to bite the bullet and get the dime city seat. I will post some more pictures of my progress. I hope to finish up my wire tuck/electrical pan tomorrow and hopefully ride late in the afternoon the weather is finally turning around here in asheville.

BiellaBound said:
Looks good so far, just got a 82 GS 450 about to start modding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should get a build thread going so we have three 450 gs builds going at once! Thanks for the compliments.

My dime city brat seat is incoming I will take pictures and do like a mini write up of what I come up with for a install hopefully straight forward and simple. I also needed a ton of misc nuts bolts washers etc and a awesome source for me has been ace hardware the selection of bolts and especially washers blows away my local auto parts stores. For the jets for my carbs I got lucky and have a local shop called city cycle that has had everything I have needed plugs spark plug boots my pod filters and jets on the shelf. I prefer to deal local its so nice to just go into a building and talk to somebody vs wait for a package in the mail.

JamesJustus said:
You should get a build thread going so we have three 450 gs builds going at once! Thanks for the compliments.
for sure going to in a few minutes actually, this is where she is now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427384485.761345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427384485.761345.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 1,013
JamesJustus said:
Make it four... I'm slowly working on one as well. Waiting to get some real work done before making a thread though.

Might make it 5 since i have my buddies GS450 at my house and he wants me to clean it up and mod it! haha!

Update installed the dime city brat seat. Still have to clean up the wiring some more and clean the bike up in general. It is coming along though so Im happy for that. The z06 behind the bike is also mine.

Attachments

• 20150331_195925[2].jpg
    20150331_195925[2].jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 258
  • 20150331_200022[1].jpg
    20150331_200022[1].jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 275
  • 20150331_195958[1].jpg
    20150331_195958[1].jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 227
JamesJustus said:
Update installed the dime city brat seat. Still have to clean up the wiring some more and clean the bike up in general. It is coming along though so Im happy for that. The z06 behind the bike is also mine.

i would hope so since your helmet is on it ;) bike looks good though!

Well was going awesome then blew up my cdi box at a high rpm. I will hook up a tach and redo the electrical system to help keep from overloading and frying shit. I am trying to make a newer gs500 cdi work with my old bike since ebay asses think that a part that you cannot promise is good because there is no test except "test with known good part" thinks that its magically worth over 250. Bullshit I will figure something else out before i roll some 200 dollar dice on a 500 dollar bike lol!

I also smashed my tail light I will get the smaller led one from dime city and new headlight bucket build a wiring harness finish the electronics tuck and call the bike done for a 450 It is alot of fun to ride can do the ton pretty easy surprised my buddies 1200 shadow when I put a couple cars on him from a 20 roll not bad for a 83 he said...

Back
Top Bottom