Powder coat prep

work9to5

See you in the wind.
Taking a bike to powder coat tomorrow. I've never had powder done before only paint. Going to a reputable shop. They said I don't have to do any prep, except remove bearings, bring it in and they'll take care of everything. But there's one thing I'm not sure will be a problem, the fender
e57840cbbd98704a800f2ad29c0665d7.jpg

It just fits in between the frame posts. Rubs pretty hard to get it into place. I asked them if they could spray it as one piece, fender mounted to frame and they said it wouldn't be a problem. But now that I'm thinking about it am I going to be able to remove the mount screw without cracking the powder? Should I just weld the fender to the frame (which I don't want to do). I'd call them to go over this again but they're closed and I'm going there early tomorrow. Advice?
90d8fec6aec04dbd75e5690855ab9cf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

A little late with the response, but I, as a professional coater, would not coat assembled parts unless you never plan on taking them apart for the reasons you mention. It will fuse everything together as one part. Yes it will crack the powder if you try disassembly. Not only the bolts but anywhere the fender touches the frame will be fused as one and will cause considerable powder damage should you ever need to remove the fender.
So what did you do?

Back
Top Bottom