Atlantic Canada

goldy said:
Hey Matt, any luck in your bike search? I know you were looking for something older, but there is a pretty decent looking '81 GS500 on Kijiji.

I just picked up my new (first) bike over the weekend. Say hello to my KZ400! I didn't want to get bored too quickly but also didn't wan't go too crazy big with my first motor so I figured that 400 was a good compromise. Also, it was the only bike in my price range that I could find with the right look. I wasn't digging the 80's bikes with the square tanks and cast wheels. Bonus points for having electric start as well as a kick start, a new seat, battery, good tires, and for the wires wheels with a front disc. I'll be ripping the excess parts off this weekend to get some cash back and get a better look at it. I'll be focusing on getting it running properly, and doing free mods (like ditching the fairing and paniers immediately!) for now.

20150214_114317_zpsc9c20f57.jpg

20150214_120018_zpsb86bf409.jpg

Cool, just make sure to keep the stock air box on this bike, The KZ400 carbs are one of the type that is almost impossible to get to run right if at all without the air box.

Congrats! Not the most exciting thing to ride, but they are good solid machines and easy to maintain. Yeah...get rid if the fairing and the ladybags, that alone will be a huge improvement! Have fun and keep us posted on progress!

Just thought I'd share. This is the latest restoration project...was done on a very tight budget, should have had the rims and spokes changed, but they cleaned up good enough for now...and the seat should have been replaced, but was re-covered instead.
50 year old Honda Cub "on ice" :

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 329
OK, I'm done with winter...two blizzards in three days. Worst one so far this winter today. T' hell with storm chips, I'm just glad I have plenty of storm beer.

Attachments

• bullshit II.jpg
    bullshit II.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,551
I have an extra room in Georgia. You guys are always welcome to visit to get away.

goldy said:
Just thought I'd share. This is the latest restoration project...was done on a very tight budget, should have had the rims and spokes changed, but they cleaned up good enough for now...and the seat should have been replaced, but was re-covered instead.
50 year old Honda Cub "on ice" :

Awesome ! Always been on the lookout for a Cub, will end up settleing on a CT90 though...

~T

And here we go again, cleaning up from another goddamned blizzard...and a plane crash to boot!
Is this effing winter ever going to end? Some years I have been back in the saddle for a month already, but not this time. I guess March is "like a box of chocolates"....

Just wondering if anyone knows someone good with Honda wiring that may want to make a house visit??? I'm in Hammonds Plains. Just getting to the wiring part on my build and want to slim down / clean up the harness.

About the best advice I can give you is that you might be better off studying your wiring diagram, designing a simplified wiring system of your own starting with the power generation/ rectification side of things and go from there. Build your own harness, rather than fiddling around with the original wiring harness. I wish I could be a little more helpful, but I don't do housecalls.

Thanks goldy, I have been considering that but I've never done wiring before so a little nervous. Maybe I should just go ahead and order in an M-Unit from Moto Gadget for power distribution and build from scratch.

What's the worst that could happen, lol

Attachments

• electro funny.jpg
    electro funny.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 899
LOL maybe talk to Matt(Sonreir) from Spark Moto, he can build you a harness to suit your needs that is plug and play and it will run you less than an M-Unit. He's a good dude to deal with, and will really help you and go as custom or as close to oem as you want.

I have seen his stuff too but I think he is 4 weeks out now on a new harness. That actually may work cause its gonna take until then for the snow to disappear lol

Chiming in, I live in Halifax as well, and just picked up this number:

BMW.jpg

A 1978 BMW R100/7.

It runs good, but has been sitting for several years, so need to do the routine maintenance to get her running, unseize the front brake, probably rebuild the starter and flush the old gas as she's weak and doesn't start well. Going to see what I get up to with it, I'm inclined to a little cafe'ing.

Unfortunately that photo was taken yesterday, proof that we are near Halifax, with all that snow still on the ground... ::)

Andrew

Good for you! Get it all sorted and you should get years of good use out of it.

Finally!!! Spring has come in full force...had our second run of the season from Halifax up to Windsor along the old highway. Took the '48 ES2, it worked great all day long and never skipped a beat. Temps in the low 20s, grass turning green and the leaves starting to bud...didn't see a single dirty old effing snow bank anywhere along the route.

Just had to share,
I gave this bike to my son three years ago after owning it myself since 1979...during that time it was a test bed for almost everything stupid that I could do to a motorcycle. He and I got it out of storage last weekend; it had been in his mother's garden shed for about the past 16 months as he was trying to keep an old Honda Civic on the road and couldn't afford both. Neither of us were sure what sort of state it would be in, but he had sprayed all the metalwork down with Rustcheck and added some fuel stabilizer to the tank, so there was no rust anywhere and even the gasoline is still fresh. A bit of elbow grease and polish to get it clean, a fresh battery and three kicks later it was running like a champ.
All he needs to do now is give it a quick tune up (planned for this weekend), get it insured and registered and it is back on the road again!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    789 KB · Views: 286
Back
Top Bottom